2.01: Game of Thrones - The North Remembers

In the regards of the comet, is it the only celestial body that ever crosses the sky besides the sun? Also does it have any other significance than pointing out that the dragons has returned?

It's the only unusual object crossing the sky.

One can imagine that if such a comet was visible here on Earth, people would comment on it; some would take it as a sign (in many cases, a sign that they should tell as many people as possible that they're deluded).

As to its significance: as ASoIaF is a PoV-based drama (at least in the books), the significance placed on the comet's appearance will be determined by who is doing the placing.

How disappointing. Everyone keep saying, "The winter is coming," as if it would run out from fashion and yet, they have never raised their peaks towards the sky, over the long and dark nights, to gaze the wonders of the universe. And yes, mister bear (the other one, not me), I understand that they're using it as a bridge device.

I wasn't referring to its rôle as a bridge device - I haven't seen the episode and won't be until 2013 - merely trying not to give any spoilers when saying that different people in the books (possibly) see the comet in different ways.

(As to the astronomy, GRRM is well advised not to dwell too much on this: the odd progress of the seasons might require very odd star system dynamics. Best leave all that to the Maesters down in Old Town.)

Cul, you may be in the minority but I'm there with you. I've said it since the first season that I don't think Peter Dinklage is particularly fantastic. I think he's one of the weaker ones.