PoV/Tense shift experiment -- 432 words

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree it's not clear what's happening in terms of the details -- but for me the sense of horror and disorientation comes over far more clearly in this version than the others.

To contradict myself -- I probably wouldn't start a book like this. The risk of the editor running screaming is probably not one you want.

Thanks, Springs, and yeah; can't please everyone.

That's what I was meaning by crazy disjointed - it doesn't make sense. But then, I don't think it's entirely supposed to.

Right now it reads quite like Enders Game, I think.

Reasonsing: - and I'm not arguing here, or trying to convince anyone that it's great, it's more likely rubbish than great -

Battles never make sense right in the middle of them, that's why they have experienced commanders overseeing the battle from a distance, so they can give calm and collected orders to those too caught up in the insane middle of it to think properly.

Dreams and memories often come in disjointed flashes, rather than following smoothly. Nobody liked it flowing smoothly - or at least semi-smoothly - in the first version anyway.

EDIT: Post crossed over with Hex.

Okay, no good as a start? Alrighty then, good to know. I'll probably just go with 3rd person version then, which I originally had before this idea came along.

No, sorry, I don't think it does. Ender's Game is sparse, but it has a very logical flow; the description is in there, it's just hard to pull out. But it's not breathless, or disjointed, just sparse. This is close first, where Ender's Game is generally more distant.

No, sorry, I don't think it does. Ender's Game is sparse, but it has a very logical flow; the description is in there, it's just hard to pull out. But it's not breathless, or disjointed, just sparse. This is close first, where Ender's Game is generally more distant.

hmm, I thought the first couple chapters were all over the place, but maybe that's just me.

I don't think I'll use this now anyway, not if it's going to be the first scene - might use such methods later though - as Hex said, it's too dangerous.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, of course. It just seems like a risky strategy to me. It's a shame because I really liked this. But as you say,maybe you can use this sort of strategy later on instead.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, of course. It just seems like a risky strategy to me. It's a shame because I really liked this. But as you say,maybe you can use this sort of strategy later on instead.

hmm...

Well I already have a 3rd person version penned up, it's quite different as it's actually happening, rather than a flashback. It starts right after Jordie's death and continues on past the point this scene starts at - of course it skips the flashbacks.

I really just wanted to know if I could pull it off, not sure I can - or more if I should.

Warren - I would have your first few pages top notch for agents - no risks because they might just put your work down and move on - that would be a great shame as I think you show skill in your writing.

However I can see what you were trying to acheive, a taster of action to come in the first page - that is still a very good idea.

Warren - I would have your first few pages top notch for agents - no risks because they might just put your work down and move on - that would be a great shame as I think you show skill in your writing.

However I can see what you were trying to acheive, a taster of action to come in the first page - that is still a very good idea.

Thanks, Bowler. It was more a taster of the action they'd missed. ;)

Just out of interest, here is the beginning of the 3rd person version for comparing.

***​

The sword sank halfway into the snow. Nolan rested his head against the rounded pommel and squeezed his eyes shut, breathing heavily. Warmth from the power crystal seeped into his fingers, a blessed relief from the frost in the air.

“Don’t leave me.” His eyes shot open, chasing away the vision of Jordie, the pleading look in his eyes, and the arrow protruding from his back.

A shadow fell over him, and a curved blade crossed his vision. He rolled to the side, the sword humming as he pulled it from the ground.

Sparks jumped out at him as the curved blade scraped down the length of his sword, and caught in the cross-guard, ripping the weapon from Nolan’s hand. The dark skinned man straightened, and brought his sword around again.

Nolan shut his eyes tight, expecting to die. He didn’t. Hands on his shoulders brought his eyes open, to focus on the man crouching before him. Friend, he’s a friend, I know his name, I... I don’t remember.

'You know what the difference is between an armed soldier and an unarmed one?' the man said. 'The armed soldier is still alive.' He thrust the sword back into Nolan’s hands.

The deep call of the horn echoed through the pass. ‘Fall back. Fall back, to the wall!’

‘You heard the order,’ the man said, and dragged him to his feet.

‘No, he said not to leave him!’ Nolan said, and pulled free, turning for where Jordie lay.

The man caught up to him, and grabbed his arm again. ‘He’s dead, Nolan, you can do no more for him.’ He pulled on Nolan's arm, dragging him away.

*​

Last edited:
"Thanks, Bowler. It was more a taster of the action they'd missed. ;)"

You cheeky sod!

Its not very clear what happened to the attacker - a chance for a bit of gore maybe? - as his mate pull his sword from the dead body, blood dripped - leggit their after us!! - The leggit bit is mine but you get the idea, a bit of blood never hurt anyone.

Much better, and does work - for me anyway.

Its not very clear what happened to the attacker - a chance for a bit of gore maybe? - as his mate pull his sword from the dead body, blood dripped - leggit their after us!! - The leggit bit is mine but you get the idea, a bit of blood never hurt anyone.

It is true that a little blood don't hurt nobody, except I'd have to show it from somebody else's PoV, since Nolan didn't see it happen in this version. He had his eyes closed because he didn't want to witness his own death. And afterwards it would be the last thing on his mind.

Ahhhh - did he not open his eyes again!

Sword being pulled from a dead body?

Not a problem regardless, I can see what your doing.

Ahhhh - did he not open his eyes again!

Sword being pulled from a dead body?

Not a problem regardless, I can see what your doing.

He doesn't open his eyes until the person who killed the enemy gets his attention. But yeah, I could get it in there, maybe have his name being called by the man, so that he opens his eyes earlier and sees him pulling his sword free of the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.