What would you like to see in a new Star Trek TV series?

A seres with a different ship , crew and mission. :unsure:

I really want to see a return to the core values of Star Trek - a unified and diverse crew working together, facing challenges and overcoming them as a team. I'm not interested in forced drama, infighting or the federation as a kind of thinly veiled metaphor for American Imperialism. Star Trek should be a positive view of the human race, showcasing the best of our values.

If it deals with modern social issues it does it creatively and not in a heavy handed, on the nose way. Star Trek is always better when the crew are touching down on a planet that has an allegorical issue and helps the people resolve it, rather than all this nonsense about the federation being secretly evil or engaging in a thinly veiled allusion to the war on terror.

I don't want wisecracking individualist protagonists rebelling against society, or cyberpunk drug sequences or eyes being ripped out or (shudder) comedy french accents.

I want Gene Roddenbury's vision of an enlightened future and not this grim, maudlin, melodramatic, action-for-morons lens flare stuff. Don't get me wrong I like good action - but that's not why I come to Star Trek.

I'm also not really interested in season long arcs, but would rather they told 60 minute complete stories that are only loosely connected.

The Orville are really the only show that are doing this, and its better for it, imho.

I really want to see a return to the core values of Star Trek - a unified and diverse crew working together, facing challenges and overcoming them as a team. I'm not interested in forced drama, infighting or the federation as a kind of thinly veiled metaphor for American Imperialism. Star Trek should be a positive view of the human race, showcasing the best of our values.

If it deals with modern social issues it does it creatively and not in a heavy handed, on the nose way. Star Trek is always better when the crew are touching down on a planet that has an allegorical issue and helps the people resolve it, rather than all this nonsense about the federation being secretly evil or engaging in a thinly veiled allusion to the war on terror.

I don't want wisecracking individualist protagonists rebelling against society, or cyberpunk drug sequences or eyes being ripped out or (shudder) comedy french accents.

I want Gene Roddenbury's vision of an enlightened future and not this grim, maudlin, melodramatic, action-for-morons lens flare stuff. Don't get me wrong I like good action - but that's not why I come to Star Trek.

I'm also not really interested in season long arcs, but would rather they told 60 minute complete stories that are only loosely connected.

The Orville are really the only show that are doing this, and its better for it, imho.

The original Trek is very inconsistent on whole the ideals of Star Trek nation some episodes didn't really follow that manta A Taste of Armageddon with tis notion establishing a base Eminar 7 water the inhabitants want it or not and the nation General Order 24 are at odds with the ideals of Trek and yes this was an episode where Kirk violated the Prime directive of non interference ( which I think a bit of a dumb rule)

Star Trek the Next Generation had great production values and some decent storylines but, overall the series was pretty dulls stuff. My biggest problem was everyone got along just fine and was well adjusted , This made for some pretty boing drama. Roddenberry fro all his idealism failed to take to account that one main ingredients of any good drama is have characters that don't always get along all the time and though they may aspire to be better , they'll sometimes fail to do the right thing for reasons that may be selfish and foolish But, they will find a way to work together. Also the Enterprise arrive to save that day and avert war, that got be really cliche and annoying .

Star Trek DS9 is the best show to date because it had superb writing and character that could fail and didn't;t d the right thing. And thye had two interesting Wars .

Voyager for the most part was The Next Generation in the Delta Quadrant though it had greatest Trek episodes of all time Year in Hell, which should have been the basis for that whole series.

Enterprise was should have skipped the whole temporal Cold War crap and gone strait to the Earth/Romulan war and the founding of the Federation.

Discovery couldendup being one the better trek shows and season ttow with Captain Pike gave it a huge boost Im looking forward to Strange New Worlds. Discory going into the future was a very shrewd move for the producers and writers

Star Trek Picard not quite sure about that one yet but ti was fun to see Sven of Nine show up.

Section 31 sounds interesting

The Lower Decks im not wild about this show.

The original Trek is very inconsistent on whole the ideals of Star Trek nation some episodes didn't really follow that manta A Taste of Armageddon with tis notion establishing a base Eminar 7 water the inhabitants want it or not and the nation General Order 24 are at odds with the ideals of Trek and yes this was an episode where Kirk violated the Prime directive of non interference ( which I think a bit of a dumb rule)

Star Trek the Next Generation had great production values and some decent storylines but, overall the series was pretty dulls stuff. My biggest problem was everyone got along just fine and was well adjusted , This made for some pretty boing drama. Roddenberry fro all his idealism failed to take to account that one main ingredients of any good drama is have characters that don't always get along all the time and though they may aspire to be better , they'll sometimes fail to do the right thing for reasons that may be selfish and foolish But, they will find a way to work together. Also the Enterprise arrive to save that day and avert war, that got be really cliche and annoying .

Star Trek DS9 is the best show to date because it had superb writing and character that could fail and didn't;t d the right thing. And thye had two interesting Wars .

Voyager for the most part was The Next Generation in the Delta Quadrant though it had greatest Trek episodes of all time Year in Hell, which should have been the basis for that whole series.

Enterprise was should have skipped the whole temporal Cold War crap and gone strait to the Earth/Romulan war and the founding of the Federation.

Discovery couldendup being one the better trek shows and season ttow with Captain Pike gave it a huge boost Im looking forward to Strange New Worlds. Discory going into the future was a very shrewd move for the producers and writers

Star Trek Picard not quite sure about that one yet but ti was fun to see Sven of Nine show up.

Section 31 sounds interesting

The Lower Decks im not wild about this show.

I mean, TNG had a long run and greatly varying quality, but when it was on form it was excellent. The thing that differentiates ST from any other series is the positive vision of the future. When it strays too far from that it just becomes generic. Sure, by the end it was repeating itself.

DS9 - I never really got into it. I've enjoyed the eps I've seen, but I didn't find it as interesting as the others.

Voyager - yeah, it was fine.

Enterprise - again, couldn't really get into it. I had a table at a convention in Wales next to John Billingsley who played Dr Phlox and his Wife who was on Chuck(?). JB was an absolute scream, cracking jokes throughout the entire weekend. When I first met him, I apologised I wasn't familiar with his character as I didn't watch Enterprise and he said, "don't worry about it, neither did I."

Discovery - terrible, generic with some odd choices and terrible writing. It makes me groan whenever I watch it, and I can't stand the main character. The only person I thought was any good was Lorca (I gather Pike was pretty good two but didn't see those shows). I stopped watching after season one and caught the opening 2 episodes of S3. Not for me.

Picard - just the worst! Great to see Picard, Riker, Deanna Troi, Data and 7/9 but it did ST as a whole a real disservice.

Lower Decks - Sub Rick 'n' Morty for kids on too many e-numbers.

I mean, TNG had a long run and greatly varying quality, but when it was on form it was excellent. The thing that differentiates ST from any other series is the positive vision of the future. When it strays too far from that it just becomes generic. Sure, by the end it was repeating itself.

DS9 - I never really got into it. I've enjoyed the eps I've seen, but I didn't find it as interesting as the others.

Voyager - yeah, it was fine.

Enterprise - again, couldn't really get into it. I had a table at a convention in Wales next to John Billingsley who played Dr Phlox and his Wife who was on Chuck(?). JB was an absolute scream, cracking jokes throughout the entire weekend. When I first met him, I apologised I wasn't familiar with his character as I didn't watch Enterprise and he said, "don't worry about it, neither did I."

Discovery - terrible, generic with some odd choices and terrible writing. It makes me groan whenever I watch it, and I can't stand the main character. The only person I thought was any good was Lorca (I gather Pike was pretty good two but didn't see those shows). I stopped watching after season one and caught the opening 2 episodes of S3. Not for me.

Picard - just the worst! Great to see Picard, Riker, Deanna Troi, Data and 7/9 but it did ST as a whole a real disservice.

Lower Decks - Sub Rick 'n' Morty for kids on too many e-numbers.

When it come to the future , im not exactly an optimist .:)

Last edited:
"Star Trek DS9 is the best show to date because it had superb writing and character that could fail and didn't;t d the right thing. And thye had two interesting Wars."

Star Trek DS9 was the best Trek because it was stolen from Babylon 5.

Personally, I think it's past time to abandon the "Trek" setting and invent something new albeit influenced by Trek.

Personally, I think it's past time to abandon the "Trek" setting and invent something new albeit influenced by Trek.
Is it possible for any space science fiction show to convince anyone that it was not influenced by "Trek"?

LOL

Why should they even try to convince anyone?
The viewers will make their own conclusions. And who cares?
Just come to the viewer with good stories, relatable characters and a believable reality to set them in.
I feel that Firefly has come close, but even that could be framed in terms of the original Star Trek premise of "Wagon Train in space".

I feel that Firefly has come close, but even that could be framed in terms of the original Star Trek premise of "Wagon Train in space".
One of the hilarious things about Dennis Taylor's Bobiverse set 130 years in the future is all of the references to Star Trek. But with the growth and permanence of digital media and science fiction since the 70s, how can it not be the case.

Star Wars brought Star Trek back.

M-Discs are supposed to last for centuries with 100 gigabytes of data.

I think I'd like to see the civilian side of Federation life. A small new settlement or two on the edge of federation space that have to get on with their neighbours or defend against them. Maybe on the far side of the Romulans... away from some of the known races.
Add in something distant external threat like the Borg or the Dominion war on the other side of the Federation to keeps its attention and resources else where and you could have a useable scenario with enough gaps to make stories in.
I'm thinking of it along the lines of the colonisation/invasion of the Americas by Europeans. They awaited on ships from home but had to plan to survive and succeed without them. As well as learn how to live in their new home and with their new neighbours...

What would I like to see?
A little more availability would be nice.
Like many here, I'm not prepared to start a subscription to another network just for Discovery and Picard, or any other new Treks, so they can make any new storylines as good or as crappy as they like as far as I'm concerned.

I guess 6 years qualifies as a semi-old thread.

Back