Synopsis Time Again (1000 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I can think of for submitting anything now is to get feedback, so if that isn't on the table I think you're probably right to let it pass. If, however, they are likely to reply with critique it might point out flaws which you have thus far been unaware of.

Of course, Chrons serves an equally valuable function, so maybe just save yourself the effort and post it here as you go - as you are, in fact :rolleyes: :)

No. I thought it was ready. One can't afford to waste the few SFF agents that do exist. Oh no no. But now I'm introducing a whole new section and inclusion to the book, so to speak, and that brings out other stuff all the time, one thing leads to another, you know? Erlos matters to me as more than just a story, it's a statement and a legacy, sort of thing.

Thanks

On the subject of submission generally, I don't think one can "waste" agents. In fact, I think it may even be important that they get used to seeing your name and to reading your "voice", the latter of which is often harder than the former. It can be important, I think, to show that you take advice when it's given and strive to improve; that you have the energy and drive to produce something without throwing up your hands and giving up; to show, in short, that you're worth their attention.

Of course, of course, I could be so wrong it's frightening, but I'm not sure that I am.

Well its traditional wisdom that once you've submitted and been rejected, that's it, with that book with that agent (as Teresa succinctly put it once).

I don't know if that's entirely true, some seem more flexible than others. And you're saying the opposite: fix it and send it back? JJ seems like a reasonable guy in that respect? But still, I myself am not happy with it yet, so ...

On the subject of submission generally, I don't think one can "waste" agents.

Of course, of course, I could be so wrong it's frightening, but I'm not sure that I am.

Er, I am.;)

You can't (or really shouldn't, because they don't like it) submit the same piece to an agent, even heavily reworked, unless they ask you to. If you're keen to get a particular work represented, then you really don't want to send it before it's the best you think it can be. (Before, for example, removing any overuse of "really".)

That's the advice I've always read, anyway, and I've never seen anything to counter it.

(Oops, cross-posted with RJM)

No. I thought it was ready. One can't afford to waste the few SFF agents that do exist. Oh no no. But now I'm introducing a whole new section and inclusion to the book, so to speak, and that brings out other stuff all the time, one thing leads to another, you know? Erlos matters to me as more than just a story, it's a statement and a legacy, sort of thing.

Thanks

Just hijacking here, sorry.... I think this is why t'internet is so important to sff authors (yes, still on the fence on this one). There are so few outlets, yet there are few other genres with such open minded and diverse readers. And an awful lot of us feel the same, that it's often more than a story, otherwise why write such an awkward genre.... I was reading a couple of case studies where authors with trilogies are doing well on internet because if you can give away the first you create the hook for the 2nd and 3rd, and as so many sff work is trilogy/sequel based, I think there are opportunities there. Provided, of course, the stuff is well written. And provided, of course, you're not looking to make money, but just get it out there.
And it saves a synopsis.....

... there are opportunities there. Provided, of course, the stuff is well written. And provided, of course, you're not looking to make money, but just get it out there.
And it saves a synopsis.....

It's a discussion that continues. I personally am still glad I haven't e published, it would be out there now inferior. But some have done well e publishing, and at least one established print author on chrons is now e publishing instead, in order to escape traditional publisher restrictions ...

hi mr corbet great read interesting concepts

i just have one suggestion
myself living in cape town, south africa i just find douglas perry's situation a bit far fetched

at the risk of sounding racist; "douglas perry" sounds like a guy from a financially stable home (well at least in the current situation), whose mother was very likely to have good antenatal care and therefore picking up possible abnormalities, and then being offered a termination, if these abnormalities were present, whether she used the opportunity may be affected by several issues; religion, wanting children, etc, if you painted him in the light of less educated, poorer family, possibly in a rural setting, its more of an indication that good antenatal care was not available and hence his abnormality and people in that situation are unlikely to have the name "douglas perry", i think its the "perry" in particular which is distracting

i hope that makes sense

just flesh out the situation probably not in the synopsis just have it somewhere at the back of your mind

myself living in cape town, south africa ...

Hi asher. Me too, until a year ago. Muizenberg mostly. I miss it every day, bro' ...

... i just find douglas perry's situation a bit far fetched ... unlikely to have the name "douglas perry", i think its the "perry" in particular which is distracting ...

He was a real person, the place is real, it's all still there (Camp Hill Village, just outside Malmsbury) so I can't change the facts, strange as they may sound. I still have his notes and letters, signed Douglas Perry, so ...

As for the synopsis, I agree with you: it sucks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.