2.11: The Walking Dead - Judge, Jury, Executionery

With the prisoner?

Shot him.

The only advantage Rick et al. have is secrecy regarding their location. Any other action compromises that.

What about turning him into slave labour? Bash one of his knees in, so that he cannot run and send him to tend the fields. Wouldn't that be easier than putting one of the precious bullets in his head?

And if he gets hold of a weapon?

What about turning him into slave labour? Bash one of his knees in, so that he cannot run and send him to tend the fields. Wouldn't that be easier than putting one of the precious bullets in his head?

He's already hobbled from when he fell on the fence when they originally saved him. They talked about keeping him around to work, but then they also pointed out that it would be kind of difficult because he'd only be able to do menial tasks and they'd have to have someone watching over him so that he didn't somehow get a hold of some sort of weapon or attempt to flee.

I liked their idea of just blindfolding him and taking him a ways out and leaving him there. Of course, ending up in a situation like they were, first finding out that Randall knew where they were/who they were staying with and then being attacked by walkers, I can understand bringing him back.

Seriously, with a busted leg how long he's going to last out there, and even if got hold of a weapon, it's not going to be a firearm but a farmhouse tool. And to take out whole group with that, I don't think so.

I didn't say he'd take out the whole group. Even with a gun that'd be unlikely.

But he could kill or seriously injure a number of them. The group he was with before are larger, have better weapons and, we've seen, are very happy to use them. It's not nice, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

True, by sounds of it, it's much, much larger group but I wouldn't say they were very effective fighters. Just look at Randall, firing off from the rooftop as if it's his last deed and then cocking up his landing in worst possible way. Not good. And thinking about him being able to avoid all the walkers between the farm and the group, with that leg, don't think so. But you're right, they have to make harsh and righteous decisions even if it means taking out human lives.

I'd forgotten that. Randall was indeed Failman, the world's greatest failure, when it came to it. He'd probably end up killing himself before anyone else got near him if his past exploit of jumping off a roof onto iron railings is anything to go by.

I don't like them losing Dale at all. He is the conscience of the group. Yes, I do really believe that the only way for them to survive will be to forgo all humanity. I think I even said 'Survival of the Fittest' in an earlier thread, and here Carol said exactly the same. Without Dale they have no checks and balances. Rick can see what it is doing to Carl, but he cannot prevent it. It was the correct thing to do to shoot Randall. No, it wasn't just, it wasn't ethical, but it was what was needed for them to survive. Randall had no qualms about shooting Rick outside the bar. I don't trust him; wouldn't trust him. You cannot open your arms to someone you cannot trust. Well, not in a life or death situation. Maybe you can in the world they left behind.

The episode did seem to over-labour the point though. I get it. I already got it. To spend a whole episode discussing this one issue - and then to knock it into the long grass once again.