Looking for a book title

citizenking

Curmudgeon in Training
In about 1972 I recall reading a science fiction book that revolved around the discovery of an underwater civilization of which there was only one remaining member. This creature was somewhat humanoid, but adapted to living beneath the waves. I think a further plot point had something to do with another underwater civilization that had long ago warred with the first.

This is about all I can recall. I was 10 at the time, but I don't know if the book was aimed at juvenile readers or not. I think it was probably written some years before I read it. For all I know it was drivel, but I can't help looking it up to find out.

Any help or suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

the book was probably "the man from atlantis" i dont know the author. it was probably a book that was written to go along with the television series "the man from atlantis" starring patrick duffy
m

That is a good theory, there were similarities in plot, but the book I read was written at least 5 to 10 years before the TV series. It is quite possible that the TV show drew inspiration from the book I am trying to find, though.

Thanks for the effort.

As with most questions about an undersea civilization or undersea humanoid juvenile book read in the 70s, this is most likely Stranger From the Depths by Gerry Turner (1972).

It matches on description and date.
Synopsis: “The book is about a few young men and one young woman and a kindly professor who revive a 60 million year old Lizard Man named Saa, who inhabited a crystalline city which sank beneath the Earth…” (Stranger from the Depths)

1674490239725.png