What's your favourite animated movie?

Ninja Scroll (Jubei kicks butt), Perfect Blue (freaked me the f out), Akira (my first love), Ghost in the Shell (Has influenced everything I've written in some way) and Nausicaa and the valley of the winds (because it's going to happen people!)

I have to put Disney in their own category - I love the Lion King and Jungle Book.

Basil The Great Mouse detective wins it hands down for me.

Something about that film, i used to watch it as a bairn when I was a tad under the weather.

Persepolis Compared to some offerings, the animation in this one may not be of stellar quality but, taking the movie as a whole, it is brilliant.

Favorite Space anime: Planetes. They really thought about the Kessler syndrome really well. It's rare for a US TV show to take such things into account.

Favorite fighting anime: DBZ Abridged. Pure comedic gold.

Favorite horror anime: Elfen Lied.

Favorite anime to joke about: Gundam AGE. Great story concept- but how'd they get a 6 year old boy to design, build, and operate a mech suit?

Watership Down
Summer Wars
(a good Miyazaki alternative, along with the related Wolf Children.)
Ghost in the Shell (and the related Patlabor 2 movie)
The Incredibles (so much style, humor and drama - the best of Pixar.)
Iron Giant
Macross: Do you Remember Love?
(a full on mecha space war film with a soft, dreamy quality and superb 100% cell animation, it is not recycled from the Marcross series but all new animation.)

I love howls moving castle. It was my first experience of Ghibli. :)

Also, I really love Wall-E, my all time favourite from Pixar.

Oh, and Bolt. John Travolta as a deluded "Superdog" what could be better. ;D

Akira now if only someone could explain the ending :D

Akira now if only someone could explain the ending :D

Probably the grand-daddy of all anime/manga films! Still pulls a powerful punch even by today's standards. But you're right, the ending is so far off the curve it's positively in orbit!

I recently re-watched the much-maligned (and box-office flop), "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" (2001)

The animation is excellent, but unfortunately the story didn't know which direction to take given that "Final Fantasy" is a huge video game franchise, and I guess FF fans were expecting characters and scenarios based on those games; but instead got something completely different. And similarly for SF fans, would have probably loved the tech sides of things, the "Alien" landscapes, involving characters and good story. But would have been put off by all 4th world spirits and the supernatural - elements that were abundant in the FF video games.

So we have a film that falls between two stools, which may explain why it failed at the BO. But watch it with an open mind and it really is a great yarn - with voice-overs from the likes of Alec Baldwin, Donald Sutherland, Steve Buscemi and James Woods

Harlock Space Pilot 2013 Its a computer animated film and it is one hell of a good film ! (y)

War of the Worlds Goliath 2013 This is steampunk sequel to H G Wells novel and it to is a really terrific film. (y)

At this exact moment I think my favorite animated movies have got to be the new Evangelion movies (The recent ones. Only 1-3 have been released). For me, this series has always proven what animation can really do. Taken it to new heights. The directing is brilliant, the shots are gorgeous. Shinji is annoyingly EMO but for once that's actually ok with me. I mean, kid has an ACTUAL reason (move over Harry Potter and Spiderman. Gotta have a dad who's trying to set you up as a reluctant messiah at the cost of the rest of the world to really F you up)

Anyways, I think Eva encapsulates everything that makes animation great. The original TV series as well (except they ran out of money by the last 4 episodes.) So glad Anno was given a chance to make the series the way he always imagined it to be. (also, man, how messed up is he?)

I loved Basil The Great Mouse Detective so much that I'm pretty sure I watched it until the VHS tape went warbly.

Perfect Blue, Wall-E, GitS, Titan A.E. are all great

Didn't care for the movie as an adult but loved the book when I read it in 3rd grade. Re-read it to my girls about 8 years ago.

My favorite animated movies?

Spirited Away
Howls Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
(I'm not sure why I like these movies but when they are on I'm just drawn to the story)

To those who like Miyazaki, I always recommend his first (and arguably best) work, Future Boy Conan. 26 episodes that came out on NHK in 1978.

But if we're limiting it to movies, I'd pick Matsumoto's Arcadia of My Youth or Interstella.

I love many of those mentioned. Wanted to add Laika films into the mix:

Coraline and the excellent Kubo and the Two Strings.

They feel dark for children and have a Tim Burton feel to them. These probably aren't my all time favourites but I do love them.

A Land Before Time needs some love in this thread!