What's your favourite animated movie?

Warren_Paul

Banishment this world!
As the title says, curious to see what everyone's all time favourite animated movie is.

for me it is Titan A.E. An under appreciated movie that came out back in 2000. 12 years on I still love it, and watch the movie on a regular basis.

Lovable characters, great animation, the soundtrack is masterfully done.

I've tried rewatching Titan A.E. about a year back and had a pretty rough time holding my attention steady. Something about the colors really throws me off and I get sleepy watching.

Favorite animated flick...well...I'd have to go with How to train your dragon honestly. Something about that film simply clicked for me so well that I left the cinema with a grin as wide as my face, plus a great love for the characters and...hopefully soon, love for the book (it's on my to-read list and I've just received it a while ago).

Oh...and second favorite...or even first, I can't really decide: Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. I have been a HUGE fan of Scooby-Doo ever since the very first night when we got cable at home, and I stayed up watching Cartoon Network, effectively not moving from the front of the TV or about 12 hours straight. And the best show that day had been Scooby-Doo Where are you?. Zombie Island is, I believe, the absolute BEST of everything Scooby-Doo EVER made, from the off-beat 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo, to Scooby Doo Meets... to even The adventures of Scooby and Scrappy Doo. Humor, characters, animation, Scooby-Doo and Shaggy...everything is an absolute blast here and I've watched this film EVERY single time it was aired on Cartoon Network, putting up even with the most horrendous Romanian dub.

Holy crap I'm a huge Scooby-Doo fanboy...

Holy crap I'm a huge Scooby-Doo fanboy...

Scooby Doo is great! -apart from the live action movies.

The '13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo' was the best series imo.

My favourite Scooby Doo movie was 'Scooby Doo meets the Boo Brothers'.

The Scooby-Doo films really went downhill after Zombie Island. The reluctant werewolf, The ghoul school, Boo Brothers, all great films. Sadly...what followed after they abandoned the art style and story type found in both Zombie Island and The witch's ghost really isn't anything to be proud of, even tiring.
I'm only happy to see that the current series running is actually quite interesting and entertaining, much more than the last few have ever come close to the original.

A lot of people hate The 13 ghosts for some reason. I always found it to be one of the more refreshing Scooby-Doo shows since, FINALLY, the monsters were real and they actually changed the dynamic of the story.

A lot of people hate The 13 ghosts for some reason. I always found it to be one of the more refreshing Scooby-Doo shows since, FINALLY, the monsters were real and they actually changed the dynamic of the story.

Yes, that was why I liked it so much. I was sick of the monster always being some guy in disguise.

It would probably be Richard Williams's The Thief and the Cobbler, if it was every completed and released in its maker's intended form.

As it is, probably Princess Mononoke.

Picking a favorite animated film would be as difficult as picking a favorite anything. It would be easy to select anything by Miyazaki, such as Spirited Away, which excels for art, music and story. Another cel animated feature is The Secret of Kells, a true feast for the eyes rich in folklore and history. (I love the segment with Aisling's Song.)

But animation comes in many forms. I enjoy replaying the Wallace & Gromit series over and over. (Although, the last one, A Matter of Loaf and Death, fell kinda flat.) And there are CGI features, like the work from Pixar. WallE had some amazing scenery, although I think The Incredibles is still my favorite from Pixar.

Disney's 1967 The Jungle Book is a textbook example of "weight" and movement.

Max Fleischer, Tex Avery, George Pal—how can anyone pick a favorite artist, let alone single out one movie from such wealth?

I loved a lot of the Pixar ideas...but their whole movies usually leave me wanting by the end. It's something about their third acts that just doesn't do it for me...the illogical villains of up, the ship portion of Wall-e that just could not match the first act at all and so forth, it's always something that leaves me wanting.

Now that Metryq mentioned Wallace and Gromit, it reminded me of 2006's Flushed away, an animation film I hold in very high regards. It's one of the rare films that actually feel...well...filling. By the end I had a tangible sensation that many things happened, that the characters had actually traveled and that the story went places. I just don't get that anymore with a lot of animation films.

Nausicaa or the first GiTS. Pixar stuff is up there too.

Those direct to DVD Scooby Doo movies are surprisingly good. (Or surprisingly not terrible.) I really like them.

Heavy Metal (1981)

Animated anthology of adult sci-fi fantasy taken right out of the magazine Heavy Metal. Many artists including Richard Corben and Bernie Wrightson who originally illustrated stories in the magazine, had the golden opportunity to put their marvelous artwork on the big screen.

Voices: Richard Romanus, John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Don Francks, Eugene Levy, Harold Ramis & John Vernon.

Soundtrack: Black Sabbath, Devo, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Donald Fagen, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Nazareth, Don Felder, Grand Funk Railroad, Stevie Nicks, Riggs and Trust.

After reading an issue of Heavy Metal in 1977, I became a fan of the magazine. Then in 1981 I saw the movie and was highly pleased with film, plus I really liked the fantastic rock music soundtrack (which I've enjoyed for decades).

Probably Spirited Away. Toy Story's good too. Oh and The Lion King. I can't think what else, I'm sure there's more.

As for Tangled, I was enjoying it, but it could've been so much better. I particularly hated that the dude's 'real' name was Eugene. It wasn't even funny.

Fantasia.

Oh, interesting. Been a long, long time since I've seen Fantasia. Of course we have the magician's apprentice as the most famous part of that movie.

Probably Spirited Away. Toy Story's good too. Oh and The Lion King. I can't think what else, I'm sure there's more.

As for Tangled, I was enjoying it, but it could've been so much better. I particularly hated that the dude's 'real' name was Eugene. It wasn't even funny.

Yeah, I'm a bit wary when it comes to animated movies based on existing stories. They seem to go down the same way as sequels. Of course there is the exception to this rule, Shrek, which the first movie was brilliant. The sequels were okay, but not as good as the original.

Another exception that I thought was brilliant, was Treasure Planet, love ships in space. :D and it had a great soundtrack.

I liked Spirited Away too.

The Incredibles for me, I think, although I really like How to Train Your Dragon and The Iron Giant, too.

In no particular order:
Fantastic Mr Fox
Perfect Blue
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Paprika
almost anything Miyazaki

Another vote for Heavy Metal. Heavy Metal 2000 Myeh.
For Stunning Animation, and really capturing the fairy tale feel: Beauty and the Beast; Disney's last gasp, magnum opus, before CGI commandeered the art of animation.

Almost likewise, Mulan Muchly because my daughters were the right age to see it en familia in the theater. Wow, whatever happened to that flick? Never seen nor heard about since.

The Iron Giant is a beautifully drawn and written story. Rock & Rule is another favorite (see thread). I have not seen a Pixar film yet that I have not adored. While Disney films are considered classics in there own right, The Lion King is the only one that stands out for me. The opening sequence literally had me gasping by the time the title erupted on the screen.

My favorite animated films are:
The Lion King
UP3D
TOY STORY
KUNG FU PANDA
&
Tangled