Lucy Liu is Dr Watson...

Don't worry about it, Inter: the whole show will have gone west by then; so far, indeed, that it'll be coming back round.

And it'll be no occident ;)

I agree, Anja, that Doyle seemed to go to great lengths to, as it were, de-sex Holmes. In fact, whatever the gender of the character, he or she would clearly have been far to focussed on their work to consider such dalliances as anything other than a distraction.

And it'll be no occident ;)

I agree, Anja, that Doyle seemed to go to great lengths to, as it were, de-sex Holmes. In fact, whatever the gender of the character, he or she would clearly have been far to focussed on their work to consider such dalliances as anything other than a distraction.

Well back in Doyle's day , it would have been inconceivable for Watson to be anything bt a man; a woman as a sidekick would have been more science fiction than Verne's journey to the moon.

As with others, I worry that this is just more jumping on the band wagon (studio execs: What do we make next? Sherlock Holmes is popular - we can make money with that!$$$), but I may be letting my cynicism run loose.

Time will tell, I suppose, but it would need to rely on more than the single quirk of Watson's character being changed to a woman. So, will there be a Mr Watson in the background?

...(studio execs: What do we make next? Sherlock Holmes is popular - we can make money with that!$$$)...
But possibly not with two white men, heavens forsake they might be gay and living together!!! However, it is perfectly okay to make her a woman from a racial minority. That ticks all of their boxes and won't make half of America switch off. I may be being very cynical, but I was just reading about Rush Limbaugh (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17241803) and he just couldn't broadcast in the UK.

and he just couldn't broadcast in the UK.
To risk thread hijacking, that whole issue sounds bizarre; not because of the particular details of that situation - we've had vaguely similar arguments over, say, adoption agencies - but the thought that the specifics of one's health care provision could be dependent on the moral view of one's employer.

I think if Rush Limbaugh lived in the UK he would be an oddity to be laughed at. However we have that one with the gay rights that supported the 'cure' the gays lobby. He seems to have pulled back from that.

OK now having derailed the thread I'm off to see what else is on chrons this morning ?

I have been a Holmes fan for over half a century. I've watched Holmes outside the canon simply because I had seen all I could access that was made from the original stories and that's what was presented. The idea of bringing up something new with so many radical changes makes me cringe, but I will at least start to watch it. I really enjoy Lucy Lui as an actress but if the storie are littered with creeping political correctness I'm out. I enjoyed the interpretations where life was returned to Victorian England and crimes were solved without cell phones and modern forensics. Holmes (and Doyle as his creator) was way ahead in the forensics department but much of his detective work was done by hard work and very intense deductive reasoning. A good Holmes story has to be based on that rther than use technology to bail out the story.

But possibly not with two white men, heavens forsake they might be gay and living together!!! However, it is perfectly okay to make her a woman from a racial minority. That ticks all of their boxes and won't make half of America switch off. I may be being very cynical, but I was just reading about Rush Limbaugh (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17241803) and he just couldn't broadcast in the UK.

And so it's clear the Republicans are doing everything they can to avoid the presidency. They obviously don't think the economy is recovering yet.

And back OT:

Of course! A minority ethnic Holmes and a minority ethnic Watson solving the problems of New York! It has international appeal.

On the question of whether or not there will be a Mr Watson, can you imagine the RL repercussions of such a triangle? And can you imagine how Hollywood would treat it?

Oh, despair, thy name is television....

Steven Moffat 'annoyed' at American version of Sherlock
"The bigger problem for us with Elementary is, what if it's terrible? What if it's awful? Then it degrades the brand," he said. "I remember there was a legitimate American version made of Coupling, actually adapted from our version. It was terrible and it was a disaster and it did sort of diminish the original. So if there's this completely unrelated rogue version of Sherlock going around and it's bad, it can be bad for us."

He has a point people might confuse the american version with the current brit version.

Although i dont agree that this new series can hurt Sherlock series rep. I will act like this american version done by low level american tv creators (far from the quality of HBO,Boardwalk Empire and co) does not exist at all.

I also see online many american viewers adore Sherlock.

He has a point up to a point, perhaps, but surely an industry that has produced thousands or more hours of celluloid and video tape about this one character carries its own pedigree.

He has a point up to a point, perhaps, but surely an industry that has produced thousands or more hours of celluloid and video tape about this one character carries its own pedigree.

Also it can never hurt Holmes/Doyle. If they have survived terrible adaptation as the RDJ hobo Holmes some american low level crime show wont be a thing.

I think he underrates Sherlock Holmes fans in US/outside UK by comparing Sherlock to Coupling which is a fine cult series but the original Coupling is hardly as popular as Sherlock Holmes.

I never saw Coupling, so can't comment, but I doubt it has the history behind it that Holmes has :)

I am among those present who think that the Moffat/Gatiss team has achieved something miraculous and enduring in their adaptation of the Doyle legacy. I'm sure most viewers will look at the curiosity of the U.S. attempt to produce something of equal genius and entertainment value and see it for what it is.

Unless, that is, there are a couple of genius writers and Holmes aficionadi at the helm :)

I never saw Coupling, so can't comment, but I doubt it has the history behind it that Holmes has :)

I am among those present who think that the Moffat/Gatiss team has achieved something miraculous and enduring in their adaptation of the Doyle legacy. I'm sure most viewers will look at the curiosity of the U.S. attempt to produce something of equal genius and entertainment value and see it for what it is.

Unless, that is, there are a couple of genius writers and Holmes aficionadi at the helm :)

Im a Holmes purist who adore the new Sherlock because it has captured the character from the stories in modern setting. I have Jeremy Brett as other fav,will see other old versions.

I have no interest in American Holmes. The brit tv versions is enough for me. I dont get why everything to be translated to American audiences these days.

Don't forget that Moffat is probably not worried about losing UK viewers. We have already had and enjoyed two series so he is probably secure here.

His worry is going to be how it might affect international sales of Sherlock, because that is, I believe, where the real money is made. They had a comment on Radio 4 the other day saying that the money earned by a good young children's tv series can easily beat the total money taken by a successful Hollywood blockbuster.