1960's or 70's book about spaceship colony gone awry

weatherman

It's right at the tip of my tongue - a sci-fi story written (I think) in the 60's or 70's about a spaceship on a colonization mission that has traveled so long (generations) that the civilization within the colony ship has collapsed, and the occupants have actually forgotten they are on a ship at all. Also, because of radiation leakage some of the occupants have mutated and are at war with other segments of the population.

Anyone remember that story?

iansales

Non Stop by Brian Aldiss? Captive Universe by Harry Harrison?

weatherman

Ah, that helped a lot - I looked at Non Stop and that seemed very familiar but the plot wasn't 100% and the ending seemed wrong to me, so I dug deeper and I'm pretty sure the book I'm talking about is Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky aka Universe, which actually dates back to 1941.

Thanks for the tip - it lead me in the right direction, and you've also given me two more books to put on my reading list!

BTW just as a recommendation for anyone interested in "generation ship" stories, I recently read Half Way Home and Wool by Hugh Howey and both of those books incorporate similar ideas. Available (ideally) as ebooks for $3-$5.

j d worthington

Yes, the "mutations" bit certainly is closer to Heinlein's book (which is actually a combination of two novelettes, both published in 1941) than Aldiss' Non-stop (published 1958). However, if you've not read them both, I suggest doing so... it makes for an interesting contrast.....

Moss Ryder

and post 4 . so much for answering q's after 15-hour shifts... im used to these types of answers in boldface, but i can't believe i glanced right past those somehow, lol...

Tiggertim

I was wondering if this was a book I read when I was younger. Does Heinlein refer to "blisters" on the outside of the ship?