Discussion 75 Word Challenge -- MARCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficult decision to make, but Pyan gets my vote this time as I think it's closer to the theme. Culwch's was a great story and very powerful though, and either one would be a worthy winner!

In case anybody is interested - Just a little note about my story now the voting is over.

It was an attempt to write in a Welsh accent (I'm note sure if I managed)

It was inspired by a real disaster at Gresford (near Wrexham) in the 1930s when over four hundred miners were killed and sealed in the mine by a fire. My title comes from a song written just after the event:

Down there in the dark they are lying,
They died for nine shillings a day.

Steve Earle's song 'The Mountain' was in there somewhere, too:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]There's a chill in the air only miners can feel[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]There are ghosts in the tunnels that the company sealed[/FONT]

Probably for too heavy a frame for a mere 75 words, but there you go..........

Difficult decision to make, but Pyan gets my vote this time as I think it's closer to the theme. Culwch's was a great story and very powerful though, and either one would be a worthy winner!

Funny, I saw it the other way. But as you say either would be a worthy winner!

One choose the theme and one the style?

I had 2 this month, this is the one I didn't go with, but I liked the imagery in it, so I made it into a short story.

BATHTIME

Staycation: the new broke. We took the kids to the waterfall where I’d found a fairy ring once; white stones in a perfect circle.
The girls crouched by a rivulet of peaty water, like melted gold, dropping into a tiny pool. I told them it was a faerie's bath.
They sat, motes of dust around them, the waterfall thundering, and looked for faeries.
“Mum, they believe. Like me with the ring you made.”
“What ring?”

Last edited:
I love the writing and the imagery, but I don't understand the last couple of lines (well, I understand the impact, but not really what it refers to). So maybe it was always meant to be a slightly longer story?

I think I understand it.

In the second to last line, the ring is the fairy ring from the first line. They thought their mother made it, but it was a real fairy ring, not pretend. Their mother didn't make it so she doesn't know what ring they mean.

That's what I understood of it.

The one bit I don't understand is the very first sentence, but maybe it's a locale thing?

Definitely lost too much in the translation then - staycation is like a buzz word in the recession where we holiday at home to save money and have days out instead.
Hex I think you're right; it settled down happily at 1000 words. Still I owe te an inspiration!

Springs, I like it, although I think you went with the stronger one for the challenge. Maybe it's my mindset today, but 'Bathtime' made me think of a changeling for some reason.

I see the tie-break is really close. I went with pyan, as I came so close to voting for him in the original poll.

A very heart felt thanks to Teresa and Bo S. Sr. for the mentions.
It means more to me than you know.

A very heart felt thanks to Teresa and Bob S. Sr. for the mentions.
It means more to me than you know.

Prepare to feel even better TacticalLoco, becasue you are also on my Short List too (page 36).

AND, if you check the pages further back, you'll see that other people have put you on their Short List too.

Have a great day. :)

Is the official Challenge time not as far off from me as I think it is? Seems like it should have cut off a couple of hours ago, if not more.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say, "Congratulations, Culhwch!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.