Pushing Ice and Terminal World

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
Hi Guys:

I've read every Alastair Reynolds novel except Pushing Ice and Terminal World. The reviews of both (e.g., poor characters, too slow) have put me off.

That said, I have truly loved every Alastair Reynolds novel I've read, with the single exception of Century Rain (which I felt started very well indeed but became silly and too frenetic in the last third). I'm reading Blue Remembered Earth now, and so far it's excellent -- Reynolds writes so well I find myself lingering over descriptions in a way that I just don't with other authors.

Anyway, should I just give Pushing Ice and Terminal World a try, and if so, which first?

Coragem

P.S., I've said it before, and I know SFF Chrons purports to have rules re. number of threads about an author, etc., but the lack of a forum devoted to AR here is a bizarre anomaly. Chasm City, Revelation Space, The Prefect, etc. -- these range from being excellent to being modern sci-fi masterpieces, and bestsellers to boot.

I'm reading Pushing Ice now. The ideas and the space aspects of it are great, the dialogue is terrible.

Chances are, if you liked other Reynolds books you are good to go with these two.

Although a big AR fan both disappointed me also. I cant say they are horrible or recommend not reading them but they just dont hold a candle to the Revelation Space series.

T

Still reading Pushing Ice, about 2/3 done now, and I have to say, this is pretty crazy stuff. Really fun. Assuming it doesn't nosedive at the end I can definitely recommend it.

Still reading Pushing Ice, about 2/3 done now, and I have to say, this is pretty crazy stuff. Really fun. Assuming it doesn't nosedive at the end I can definitely recommend it.

Thanks for that.

I've read quite a few online reviews (reputable blogs, not Amazon!) and opinions have largely been very positive there as well.

In any case, I typically appreciate any Reynolds stuff just because (amongst sci-fi authors) his writing is a cut above.

Interestingly, I read an interview with him within which he said he didn't think readers had "got" Terminal World. He cited Gene Wolf's book of the new sun as an inspiration, so maybe he was trying for something similar -- i.e., occasionally oblique, philosophical in its way, and thought provoking?

Coragem.

Interestingly, I read an interview with him within which he said he didn't think readers had "got" Terminal World. He cited Gene Wolf's book of the new sun as an inspiration, so maybe he was trying for something similar -- i.e., occasionally oblique, philosophical in its way, and thought provoking?

Coragem.

I haven't read Terminal World yet, but, knowing what little I do about it, I think a lot of readers were expecting the "standard" space epic from Reynolds, and instead got something more akin to steampunk. I could see that disappointing some readers. It's ok by me though, on the strength of Pushing Ice I'll be reading his whole catalog.

I did not care for the human interaction between the two main characters in "Pushing Ice" and I thought the ending was weak indeed. A better book would have started where "Pushing Ice" ended.

I just finished it a few minutes ago. The ending was fine by me. All in all it was a great book, but the first 130ish pages dragged a bit, and the interaction between the two main characters was annoying throughout. I heard Reynolds say he wants to do a sequel eventually, that would be fun.

I still need to read both of these (as well as House of Suns). I loved AR's Revelation Space series and rate them all highly. I read Century Rain and really struggled with them. I can't say that reading it's put me off the others, but it did move them down my too read pile.

Perhaps it's time to get back on the horse. :)

I still need to read both of these (as well as House of Suns). I loved AR's Revelation Space series and rate them all highly. I read Century Rain and really struggled with them. I can't say that reading it's put me off the others, but it did move them down my too read pile.

Perhaps it's time to get back on the horse. :)

House of Suns is brilliant, so I'd go for it.

Also, if you haven't read The Prefect and Chasm City I'd say that the latter is his best book and the former is at least as good as the Rev Space trilogy.

As I said, so far Century Rain is the only book that I've not rated so highly, and even then I thought the first half was very strong.

Coragem.

I did not care for the human interaction between the two main characters in "Pushing Ice" and I thought the ending was weak indeed. A better book would have started where "Pushing Ice" ended.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts of Pushing Ice also!