A Clash of Kings - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
This thread is for people who have read no further than the end of A Clash of Kings to discuss that book without the fear of spoilers from later books "informing" the conversation.

(If you have read any of the later books, feel free to join in, but keep your posts limited to information found only in A Clash of Kings and A Game of Thrones.)

Last edited:
I loved Tyrion's role in this book. How in the world did this prostitute visiting, condescending, and big mouthed dwarf ever get to run the country? The funny thing is that he's good at it. Frequenting prostitutes gave Tyrion an eye for the plight of the commoners that a ruler never gets. (Robert probably saw as much, but was only focused on T&A.) Tyrion's condescension came from his superior education and cultured upbringing... but this translated to an ability to understand the nobility and to have a broad view of the world. His big mouth proved to really be quick wits which were sorely needed during the civil war. If Tyrion was not my favorite character after AGOT, then he was a third of the way through ACOK.

As with A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings "ends" with a feeling of being in the middle. Character arcs have yet to have satisfying conclusions, so I feel like I'm left with cliff hangers when I want to move on to other works and pick this up again later.

I had a bit of trouble getting into the first book, but by now I am solidly attached to the characters and their lives. Even though I have come across some inevitable spoilers (let's face it: I'm a few years late into GoT fandom), the story still holds interesting twists.

I'm really interested to see what happens when Cersei and Jaime are reunited. I'm getting the impression that they have different views on their relationship since Jaime says he's has been faithful to Cersei, but she sees sex as a tool or weapon a woman can use.

Tyrion is probably the most intelligent Lannister, yet he is appears most disliked by other characters. I can't wait to find out how his father percieved Tyrion's leadership in the battle where he was badly injured. He wants to please his father so badly, and he is very courageous, but I have a feeling he is going to somehow be disappointed again. And why was Ser Meryn Trant trying to kill him?

Arya is an intelligent, resourceful girl who is already a formidable fighter. But I can see her ending up like the Hound. He does not fear either death or killing, but he has always lived in the shadow of his brother and is disillusioned by the courts. Arya will also never be able to live up to her potential due to being female and high born. She doesn't appear as bitter as The Hound, so hopefully she will have a better fate.

kythe, What will happen with Tyrion and Tywin, Jaime and Cersei, Arya and the Hound, and et al? Enjoy the journey of discovery.

I understand your concerns with cliffhangers, lack of resolution, and rampant spoilers. The story does hold interesting twists, but catching up when the next book is published means quite a bit of rereading... unless you go to The Tower of the Hand and read the chapter summaries.

Keep us abreast of your approval (or disappointment) and progress.

Yes. Even though I am "asking questions", I don't really want to know the answers because I will find out when I read the rest of the series. :)