The Winds of Winter publishing date guesses?

I'll still end up picking up winds of winter after all this... if it ever releases ofcourse

The section Pedro mentions from notablog:
"As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much. Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce. But I tell you this — if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine."

I note he doesn't say he WILL have it finished, he just says us peoples in NZ have permission to lock him up until he does. I'm weary at best. To be able to pick up my copy at CoNZealand while meeting GRRM in person, that would be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Definitely going to be there though. Wellington is only 2 hours drive from where I live.

And him loving NZ, well... who doesn't? Wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

My understanding and I will have to and find where I read it is that Martin has already picked a writer(s) to finish the series if in the unfortunate case he does not. Or maybe I just dreamed this up which could be a distinct possibility.

I thought I'd read - and this was some time ago - that he was intending to leave instructions that no one was to finish the books should he be unable to, and all his notes and writings were to be destroyed. I could be mistaken, or he may have been joking.

If he does have a successor(s) in mind, I wouldn't mind betting it is one or both of Daniel Abraham or Ty Franck.

Reactions: Vaz
I note he doesn't say he WILL have it finished, he just says us peoples in NZ have permission to lock him up until he does. I'm weary at best. To be able to pick up my copy at CoNZealand while meeting GRRM in person, that would be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Definitely going to be there though. Wellington is only 2 hours drive from where I live.
And him loving NZ, well... who doesn't? Wouldn't want to live anywhere else!
I personally don't think he will have it finished by then, or that we'll lock him up.

think I might have to add worldcon to my schedule tho. will bring my shackles too. no access to white island but I could lock him up in a relay station here

Rumour has it he’s finished WoW, I read it somewhere quite respectable online recently but can’t recall where, but if he had I think he’d have mentioned it on his blog. Instead he’s been updating about the opening of his new bookshop - which if I lived closer to I’d like to visit but alas it’s several thousand miles away

He might have finished but not had it edited yet so it could still be a long way off. We also don't know how much he's going to put into writing for the following books. It might be that after having trouble with it before, he's going to write more of the following books (even if in draft form only) so that he can make any minor changes to Winds of Winter now before he commits it to the stone that is publishing and selling it.

i gave up on reading the end of this series long ago. maybe we'll get to read wow. Unfortunately that leaves us the D&D disaster (for the ending)...

I am afraid that George and I have parted company. You took too long,George.............

I wonder how confident folks are that George will produce the finished WoW in New Zealand at the end of July? We can hope!
If he did have it almost finished now, to be published by July, I would have thought some word would have leaked out. Will he be having every chapter edited as he goes along? Or dumps the whole thing on the editor and they to keep going back with changes to each version.

I know i don't have a right to be angry, but somehow whenever i see GRRM post he has finished working on same random thing i don't care about i get annoyed. I think i rather read him saying he straight up doesn't care, given up on writing WoW, instead of reading about him *still working on it*.

I think that's a tad unfair. I'm sure he cares a great deal about his greatest creation. I stand by what I said about five years ago, which was he let the narrative spiral out of control and could never figure out how to wrest it back into something workable or solvable. A lesson that even the biggest and best writers need editors.

Anyhow, I'm sanguine about it. If we see TWOW and ADOS, then fantastic. If not, then it's been a fun ride.