The Winds of Winter publishing date guesses?

Just because he told the writers how it ends doesn't mean they did it his way. They are their own people with their own ideas.

But yeah, I don't see GRRM finishing the story either. TWoW will be released, but I think the final book/s will go the way of Robert Jordan and finished by another writer. After all, GRRM doesn't have all day every day to work on his books; even though GoT on HBO is finished, he is still directly involved in the prequels. The shows take up a lot of his time.

My understanding and I will have to and find where I read it is that Martin has already picked a writer(s) to finish the series if in the unfortunate case he does not. Or maybe I just dreamed this up which could be a distinct possibility.

It felt, to me, exactly the end he was working towards. I’m looking forward to meeting him this summer hopefully

Maybe so, I suppose we won't really know for sure until the books are finished. He can't exactly turn around and say just that to fans, that would be spoiling his own novels...

Maybe so, I suppose we won't really know for sure until the books are finished. He can't exactly turn around and say just that to fans, that would be spoiling his own novels...
Well, apparently he told the writers this is how it ends.

What gets me is no one is defending the right of a writer to control their creation. If his message was that no one wins the game that’s fine. I have a message that an existentialist hero is a great - if a little lacking in active - Thing. Not enough have read it to give a damn but if they had I’d say it’s still my choice to write my book, not the one the fans want.

GRRM on the finale of GoT

Link above is GRRMs thoughts on the finale of the show -- he doesn't spoil anything -- and while reading it, I thought about this discussion.

Here in particular:

And me? I’m still here, and I’m still busy. As a producer, I’ve got five shows in development at HBO (some having nothing whatsoever to do with the world of Westeros), two at Hulu, one on the History Channel. I’m involved with a number of feature projects, some based upon my own stories and books, some on material created by others. There are these short films I am hoping to make, adaptations of classic stories by one of the most brilliant, quirky, and original writers our genre has ever produced. I’ve consulted on a video game out of Japan. And then there’s Meow Wolf…

And I’m writing. Winter is coming, I told you, long ago… and so it is. THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING.

GRRM has a LOT on his plate. Very busy man, and it sounds like the books aren't actually at the top of his priority, going by this. :(

He is producing 8 shows at once! No wonder writing is taking so long...

Remember this is the writing section, not the TV section - anyone wants to talk about the TV show, post it in the TV show section, thanks. :)

You can't separate the writing from the show, The show ending is the writing ending. GRRM and D&D have both confirmed this. Also every post above mine is discussing the show.

show
That is utimately the thing though. I'm not sure if it really ends like that. I think the greater plot points remain the same right up until season 7. But i have a hard time getting my mind around this being the ending grrm truly had in mind. Then again he did tell the show writers how he sees the end. so maybe i'm wrong.
show
Just because he told the writers how it ends doesn't mean they did it his way. They are their own people with their own ideas.

But yeah, I don't see GRRM finishing the story either. TWoW will be released, but I think the final book/s will go the way of Robert Jordan and finished by another writer. After all, GRRM doesn't have all day every day to work on his books; even though GoT on HBO is finished, he is still directly involved in the prequels. The shows take up a lot of his time, along with editing and publishing his other stuff, like Wildcards, etc.
show
It felt, to me, exactly the end he was working towards. I’m looking forward to meeting him this summer hopefully
show
Well, apparently he told the writers this is how it ends.

What gets me is no one is defending the right of a writer to control their creation. If his message was that no one wins the game that’s fine. I have a message that an existentialist hero is a great - if a little lacking in active - Thing. Not enough have read it to give a damn but if they had I’d say it’s still my choice to write my book, not the one the fans want.
show from GRRM
GRRM on the finale of GoT

Link above is GRRMs thoughts on the finale of the show -- he doesn't spoil anything -- and while reading it, I thought about this discussion.

Here in particular:

GRRM has a LOT on his plate. Very busy man, and it sounds like the books aren't actually at the top of his priority, going by this. :(

He is producing 8 shows at once! No wonder writing is taking so long...

Maybe grrm wil be able to sell it better. Or maybe some characters will have slightly different ending, if we ever get there. No one ever said an author can't decide what he does with his creation. All i said was i don't see grrm ending it quite like this. And that grrm has lost interest in writing the books. And yes that means those who wanted to read the ending through his own exact words are a bit screwed. And we have a right to say this. Maybe who sits the throne will stay the same. But i think how he gets to the throne will be done better, as well as the endings of certain other characters (personally i'm hoping Jon gets a better send off).

Also this is about the books and the show. Cause we are discussing how we hope the books will actually be written and hopefully be done better than the show version. Through which we have gotten info on how grrm plans to end the books.

He's also working on eight shows, I think. A video game with a popular Japanese studio, and other works. I think he'll finish Winds, but have my doubts about Spring.

I'd heard there's a rumoured eight book planned as well titled A Time for Wolves.

In his blog about the show he just mentioned that he expects Winds and Spring to be 3000 manuscript pages combined. Though at least he didn't specifically mention an 8th book.

He's also working on eight shows, I think. A video game with a popular Japanese studio, and other works. I think he'll finish Winds, but have my doubts about Spring.

I'd heard there's a rumoured eight book planned as well titled A Time for Wolves.

A Time For Wolves was the original title for the final book. GRRM changed it to A Dream of Spring. At least that's my understanding on the matter.

I think A Time For Wolves might have inferred something GRRM didn't want.

Reactions: Vaz
George has updated his Notablog and made a pledge to Air New Zealand to have a copy of WoW in his hand by summer 2020......

As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much. Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce. But I tell you this — if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine.

The section Pedro mentions from notablog:
"As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much. Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce. But I tell you this — if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine."