• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

The Winds of Winter publishing date guesses?

Koopa

Old KiwiBird
I'll still end up picking up winds of winter after all this... if it ever releases ofcourse

L.L.Lotte

The Anime King
The section Pedro mentions from notablog:
"As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much. Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce. But I tell you this — if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine."
I note he doesn't say he WILL have it finished, he just says us peoples in NZ have permission to lock him up until he does. I'm weary at best. To be able to pick up my copy at CoNZealand while meeting GRRM in person, that would be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Definitely going to be there though. Wellington is only 2 hours drive from where I live.

And him loving NZ, well... who doesn't? Wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Culhwch

Lost Boy
Staff member
My understanding and I will have to and find where I read it is that Martin has already picked a writer(s) to finish the series if in the unfortunate case he does not. Or maybe I just dreamed this up which could be a distinct possibility.
I thought I'd read - and this was some time ago - that he was intending to leave instructions that no one was to finish the books should he be unable to, and all his notes and writings were to be destroyed. I could be mistaken, or he may have been joking.

If he does have a successor(s) in mind, I wouldn't mind betting it is one or both of Daniel Abraham or Ty Franck.

Reactions: Vaz

Mr Orange

Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb...
I note he doesn't say he WILL have it finished, he just says us peoples in NZ have permission to lock him up until he does. I'm weary at best. To be able to pick up my copy at CoNZealand while meeting GRRM in person, that would be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Definitely going to be there though. Wellington is only 2 hours drive from where I live.
And him loving NZ, well... who doesn't? Wouldn't want to live anywhere else!
I personally don't think he will have it finished by then, or that we'll lock him up.

think I might have to add worldcon to my schedule tho. will bring my shackles too. no access to white island but I could lock him up in a relay station here