The Winds of Winter publishing date guesses?

1. Pedro Del Mar

Pedro Del Mar I am content

Lets hope so but I won't be holding my breath!

2. Pedro Del Mar

From the mouth of the great man himself:

And, yes, I know you all want to know about THE WINDS OF WINTER too. I've seen some truly weird reports about WOW on the internet of late, by 'journalists' who make their stories up out of whole cloth. I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages. Both 'reports' are equally false and equally moronic. I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...

Brian G Turner likes this.
  3. Pedro Del Mar

So if we're in luck and WOW hits the shelves in 2018 that'll be a 7 year wait......

4. Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

I'm content with a 7 year wait. We waited longer for Starwars sequels!

5. Judderman

Judderman The Iceman cometh

Wow, he is not even sure if it will be finished by end 2018 any more. My word! TV series will be well over before Winds of Winter is out.
    I can see how having different projects such as screenplays makes sense but having another Game of Thrones related book possibly being released first seems ridiculous. He really must despise writing Winds of Winter. Well we should be glad he keeps going on it. But for the last couple of years he always says he is months away. Now he seems to be admitting it could be still over a year.

6. The Imp

The Imp Well-Known Member

I've reached a point where I no longer have an expectation that the series will be finished and I will be content to find out the rest of the story through the TV show. If Martin happens to be able to finish 2 more books at the very least, maybe more given how many open plot lines he has right now, that's great, but I'm not holding my breath.

7. Judderman

The dialogue in the latest Game of Thrones TV episodes is not particularly interesting, with a couple of exceptions. It gets the points across to keep the plot moving. Hopefully if and when we get our hands on the Winds of Winter book we will see the sort of witty and well thought conversations we appreciate.

8. Pedro Del Mar

Must admit I've underwhelmed by this season.

9. Marvin

Marvin Paranoid Mandroid

I wonder if the TV programme, now that it has passed the point of the books has led to GRRM feeling less rushed than ever.
    The TV programme is now hurtling like a steam train to a conclusion (relative to the written word at least,) why not let it come to an end in anyway it deems suitable.
    Let the dust settle.
    And then quietly tell the end of the story he always wanted to tell, for the legions of book lovers that will eagerly read it - to wash away the inevitably weak tasting, mass produced, consumer satisfying ending the TV show will leave behind.

I hope he keeps his health (not just for the story, obviously) so he can finish what he started - in peace.

10. Judderman

It could be like that. Though I think the major points of the ending will have been agreed on.

11. LilyDraken

LilyDraken The Lily of Westeros

Seeing as Martin is one of the executive producers on the show, I agree with that.

12. MWagner

MWagner Well-Known Member

Apparently, Martin outlined the main plot points and resolution of the story when he first sat down with the producers to create the TV show. Though given Martin's improvisational approach to writing, I suspect it was a short conversation.

Anushka Mokosh likes this.
  13. Anushka Mokosh

Anushka Mokosh Matryona Marzanna

Tbh, considering his approach to writing, it is doubtful how much of that will make it into the book ending. As he himself says, everytime you make a change, it creates a ripple which then grows into a hurricane and as he keeps changing things, it is highly unlikely that the ending will not be impacted.

14. Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

It makes full sense that the TV series writers would have known the end for their own version of the story. That is to say they'd have had Martins idealised general big end and will have aimed toward that. What I think Martin has changes in is likely not the big end events but more a lot of the little things that lead up to it. Of course sometimes, as said, those little things snowball into changing big parts of the end.

It's a lesson to other writers about the risks of freeform writing and of publishing before you've finished or without a strict plan in place. I still have hope in Martin, its just taking a while. If anything the internet makes it worse and better. In the past you'd have likely put the books down and forgotten about them so the wait wouldn't have seemed as bad - with the internet it keeps reminding you. Conversely without the net you might forget all about them for so long that they'd be published whilst you weren't looking.

Anushka Mokosh likes this.
  15. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

It seems to me that his best course (if he has insufficient time or inclination to finish himself) would be to employ someone else to finish writing it (the scriptwriters from the TV series are doing an okay job.) Publishing it a year after the TV series finishes is not going to help its sales, and it sounds like his heart is really in the new book anyway, so it has only become a chore. Would fans dislike the involvement of other writers? If he isn't fully committed a fresh mind might actually improve it. He can't be worried financially, since the quicker both books appear the better for sales. Do you think that in 10-15 years time these will still be bestsellers? Possibly, but quite possibly not.

16. Narkalui

Narkalui Nerf Herder

I think when the next book does come out there will be midnight openings of WHSmiths and Waterstones to cater for the queues going up high streets