Fantasy series I can't remember...

nirvandal09

A few years back I read a series of books...I think it was four books but it may have only been three. The series followed a warrior priest who lived on a colony planet that a group of settlers had traveled to a long time in the past. When the settlers got to this planet they realized that certain things they thought would actually happen because of the planet's fay (it may not be called fay). For example, guns were extremely rare on the planet because if you went to pull the trigger and thought "oh, I hope this doesn't explode" then it would explode. Because of this, the colonists were never able to leave the planet because they were afraid somebody would think something bad, and their ship would explode. Because of the fay, almost every aspect of life was diverted back to the medieval ages. There were a lot of monsters running around in the wild too because peoples' nightmares would come to life. So this priest is on some sort of quest that I can't really remember...I think he may be trying to help the colony overcome the fay. But there's a guy who I think is a vampire type that is trying to stop him. The priest teams up with a handful of allies and goes to a strange land. For some reason I remember a lot about the fay and the lack of guns and technology...but the rest of the book really eludes me. I know that the cover for one of the books is a pale man standing in the middle of a natural fountain with his hands resting on a sword that is pointing blade down into the earth. The other covers are similar. Please help me out here! Thanks in advance!

what The Great Snook wrote sounds about right to me.

Yes. "fae" is the word...

the books are:
1. Coldfire Trilogy 1 - Black Sun Rising - 0756403146
2. Coldfire Trilogy 2 - When True Night Falls - 0886776155
3. Coldfire Trilogy 3 - Crown of Shadows - 0756403189