Salute your deleted characters here

alchemist

Be pure. Be vigilant. Beware.
I have an early boardroom-type scene; nine (9) characters all around a table, all introduced for the first time. Once I ran out of individual hair colours, I decided that some of them had to go. One got moved out of the room (she had an appendicectomy to do) and two got deleted. Just like that, they ceased to exist (except for in draft one, but nobody's going to see that).

So, as their names and deeds will never be seen by anyone, I thought I could pay tribute here, and perhaps even apologise for the cruel way in which I have ended their existence.

Yuri Mendlewicz

Let's face it, Yuri; you knew this was coming. I didn't need another biologist and compared to your two colleagues, you were...how can I put this delicately?...wet. Some would say that I should keep you in as you're the only character with a Jewish sounding name, but there are no quotas here. Anyway, the Scottish guy can come from Israel instead. So, bye.

Hatsuto Shimizu

This was a tougher decision. After all, you were the genius who invented the ship's drive. But somebody had to go, and I couldn't get rid of Laura; she's the protagonist's mother, after all, and there are enough orphans around already. I'll miss your pragmatism, and your strange black leather gloves. Yes, they were a bit too Dr No, but still; they added a touch of mystery.

I'd considered making Yuko your daughter, but now I guess we'll never know.

As for the ship, Molly can invent the drive. She was always more interesting anyway, with the cloned daughter and her leadership potential. I'll miss you (not much, but a little).

Ibrahim (a mechanic)

I didn't think I'd take anyone out after chapter 2, but at least you made it to chapter 5. In truth, one mechanic was enough (the Scottish guy, but he's in danger too. See above), and your sole function seemed to be to take the mickey out of the protagonist. He gets enough of that elsewhere.

Feel free to add your own deleted characters. They deserve their moment in the sun.

Only six hair colours! You'll make your universe drab.:D

Well, I'll mention the lovely Jane, who may still be resurrected. had a real short straw life, got trailed from her life at the palace, nicely brainwashed and happy, cheers, and then got stuck with Ealyn and two kids. In a spaceship. And he wasn't always very nice to her. I'm not sure, maybe I say lucky escape there, Jane....

Ah Tain.

Wise-cracking, handsome, tactless sidekick. Such a pity it turned out I'd stolen you from another book (although you were a super-elf in that one), and I needed another female character. So farewell, Tain. It was fun while it lasted.

Jasmine Hikari Knight is not up for deletion. She's the rebellious character I created just to annoy her by-the-book sister, Samarra. Now Jasmine's rebelled (who didn't see that coming?) and taken over a whole novel.

Only six hair colours! You'll make your universe drab.:D

I exaggerate slightly:grey, blonde with red streaks, black (cut short), black (long), grey + plaited beard, brown (almost called it mousey; discovered that's a cliche)

Great thread idea. sticky! :D

Caitlin. August 2011 - October 2011

My adorable little street urchin who was taken in by John Fallonside when she helped him overthrow her demonic thief master. She was my initial character to play vessel to Hydrae, but when I took the story away from the the harbour town of Blackport she had to go... :(

Caitlin evolved into Emylynn, my daughter of a retired war hero in the Kartall Valley

That might be cheating; morphing charaters?

Hey, when cheating works... :D

they are completely different characters though. But then, I pretty much morphed every character in my book back in October, only House Farmoure and Armeryr survived the cull.

The Lord of Astrophysics in the earliest version of Talioth's Choice is now but a distant memory. A disgustingly fat member of the aquatic arcati race, he spent most of his working time sleeping, and spent his waking hours eating, taking credit for the hard work of his underlings, and taking shameless advantage of his droit de seignuer.

Yeah, I have a few...

Jack Daniels Sr.

You could have been someone. You could have been a contender.

Let's face it. Anyone who holds a sword, even a wooden practice sword, by the blade has no place in a story or series other than for comic relief. I feel bad about killing you off, old chap, but at least you passed peacefully in your sleep. Technically.

Okay, in a hospital O.R. on the table, but hey, who's counting? At least your son, J.D. Jr., can carry on your oh-so-necessary legacy. ;)

Katana Maeshalanadae: You had skills, kid, but arrogance is nothing I wish to contend with. You were a train wreck in every aspect of your life and weren't the heroine people could root for.

Karn Maeshalanadae: Mortal turned god? It's all been done before. You weren't needed any longer. Sorry, man.

Cain Maeshalanadae: Need I say more about the pattern? You had some serious issues, man. I think sinking the island nation of Atlantis to be rid of a hydra was a bit excessive, was it not?

Manarion: You had good promise as a villian. It's just a shame you were killed by the six-year-old psionic girl you tried to possess.

Okay, this group HAD their time in the sun, but, I thought I'd give them all one last hurrah for old times' sake...is that allowed here? ;)

Absolutely...

(HEX! Don't read this until you've finished the book!!!)

Jessica, sweet Jessica. You were so good, and so beautiful and so wonderful for my hero... but he needed to grow in ways you couldn't provide, so you understand you had to be left by the roadside? Don't be too upset, there may be room for you in book three, but now that he's left you behind, the other woman who's waiting for him may not let him go...

It's overused, apparently, to make your character appear ordinary. Or so I read, and as it was on the internet, it must be true.

Because everything on the internet is true! :rolleyes:

I might have to change the description of one character then, I call her hair 'mousey'. guess she will just be plain old ordinary brown.

what about chestnut?