Several from my youth I recall...

thetruecipher

...but no titles or authors.

1. Earthman? on this planet with several warring factions, each specializes in different areas of technology, thereby maintaining a balance. One group knows chemistry, another something else. he picks one side and gives them the benefit of his knowledge in order for the planet to advance behind a singular culture. I think he invents an automobile for them...

2. Invasion from Sirius?? our heroes start out in a cage, pick the lock at the bottom rail somehow. May be related to book where few survivors exist after some plague, a ship from australia, and our hero in NYC have to fight aliens.

3. A young boy is selected by the authorities to fight these alien intruders that just appear out of nowhere on earth, his parents want special favors to relieve their poverty, but none comes. Turns out the alien intrusions are made up by authorities to detect and gharness these kids, they invasions are not real...

Hi, TTC, and Welcome to the Chrons!

The first one you're looking for is Deathworld 2, by Harry Harrison.

Can't help with the others, I'm afraid, but give it time - it's very possible someone here will know what they are...:)

Hi, TTC, and Welcome to the Chrons!

The first one you're looking for is Deathworld 2, by Harry Harrison.

Can't help with the others, I'm afraid, but give it time - it's very possible someone here will know what they are...:)

Thank you.

I've gone back a bit in the forum, trying to see if I could help on some others, but wow, there is a lot of SF that must have slipped thru the cracks in the past 50 or so years.

I think the second book you're looking for is Invaders From Rigel by Fletcher Pratt. Surviving humans are metallicized by radiations from the Rigellian spacecraft. One of the side-effects is that their toes become somewhat prehensile. In one part they are captured and placed in cages and eventually escape by using their toes to press up on the bottom of the cage door while using a pin to insert into a hole to open the door.

Back