Brave New World.

I think the problem with the after infection thing is you're up against a couple of classics. I am legend has been mentioned, but King's The stand is also in that genre and he does it very, very well... although I always think where he took it was so disappointing after the whole infection bit was done so well.

But, if it's done really really well, some people do like a nice gross out horror book. I know I do.

Here it is with changes.

Brave New World.​
“The newspapers were filled with it and the reporters full of it, but this time it wasn’t ****. At 9:30 am, on the first Monday of February, it was announced world wide that the scientists at Newcastle University had discovered a cure for Cancer, and not just any Cancer, all cancer. The next week they announced the vaccination and by October it was available to everyone; or would have been if not for the dictators and corporations. The news resulted in a day and night parties and worldwide celebrations, for they now said Cancer was no more a threat than the common cold. This was the beginning of a brave new world.”
The boy shifted uncomfortably in his fathers arms. Outside the noise was deafening, the sound of fierce winds battering the doors and boarded windows, and the growls of the hungry and desperate. “Why are you telling me this?” he asked.
“Because by the end of the year humanity will be dead,” the father said.

If you wanted to keep this, it would have to be outright zombies or else face a very close copyright injunction, I believe. Still, I would have some form of new species, whether it be zombies, mutants, or massive cycloptic slimes. Or you could take some form of inspiration from The Stand and have it that all the souls of humanity had been keeping some creatures at bay from another dimension and they take over the planet?