Happy Birthday Mr Dickens!

GOLLUM

Charles John Huffman Dickens, 7 February 1812 - 9 June 1870.

As I'm currently involved in following a reading schedule that includes several of Dickens' novels in 2012, I couldn't let the day marking the Great Victorian writer's 200 Birthday go by without being noted....:)

For anyone who may not be aware, we've started a Dickens' reading club over in the Book Clubs subforum (including a posted thread detailing the reading schedule for 2012)...so feel free to join in at any time.

Hip, Hip, Hooray!.....:D

It's great to celebrate his 200th birthday. I'm definitely going to read the Tale of Two Cities this year.

I'll be picking up David Copperfield for some nice summer reading on vacation. Happy Birthday, Chuck.

HB Dickens fans i would say since im not one of you who celebrate this.

It is interesting the brits are making a big deal of this, party,celebrations and the american icon Edgar Alan Poe 200 years BT there was no celebrating by the leaders of that country.

Well, fancy that: I didn't know that this event was upcoming; but I read "Tale of Two Cities," again, just two weeks ago. I hadn't read that one, or any other Dickens for something in the order of forty years.

There was a christmas stories collection by Dickens that i was keen on in the library but of course somebody took just minutes before me. Somebody else who knew the date of his birth :p

I may come off as ignorant here, but I find Charles Dickens to be one of the most boring authors I have ever read anything by. I'm not one of those people who hate classics either. (I loved things like For Whom the Bell Tolls and Heart of Darkness)

But I was once assigned "Great Expectations", and found it to be the most dry, boring, piece of literature I have ever layed my eyes on. I would, in all actuallity, rather read Twilight. (Yes. I just said that.)