So what's the latest crackpot theory?

juleska

The North remembers
I haven't been able to post in a few months for a myriad of reasons. What's the latest crackpot theory? I need something new to sink my teeth into. :D

Did you read Needle's theory about Jon at the end of Dance with Dragons?

Stoneheart will force Jaime to publically acknowledge his paternity of Tommen and Myrcella. He will renounce his last name and fight for the Brotherhood without Banners under Stoneheart and the Blackfish. He will be tasked to rescue Sansa (again) with Brienne.

Stoneheart will force Jaime to publically acknowledge his paternity of Tommen and Myrcella. He will renounce his last name and fight for the Brotherhood without Banners under Stoneheart and the Blackfish. He will be tasked to rescue Sansa (again) with Brienne.

I hadn't heard this one.

I have a theory that Stoneheart's face will slough off just as she's about to start talking to Jaime and she becomes unintelligible, so the Brotherhood without Banners just hang him.

I could be wrong.

Well, Tywin, perhaps you can come up with a better theory for Jaime's fate. :)

Stoneheart seems to have some fairly good strategies for her revenge scenario. If part of Catelyn still exists within Stoneheart, I doubt she would waste such a great hostage by a simple hanging. I doubt GRRM would have such a simple fate for the end of Jaime Lannister, but who knows.

What is next for Jaime, do you think? Simple hanging, say you?

Other than that, I postulate that Illyrio's deceased wife, Serra, was a Blackfyre and was also Varys' sister. Aegon could be their son. That would account for Aegon looking so much like a Targ. It would account for the considerable interest that Illyrio and Varys have taken in the Targs and their collaboration together.

I wasn't disputing the theory, just saying that I hadn't seen it. Refreshing really to be on a subject other than the death of Jon. Since Needle's Jon/warg/ice-wraith thesis, I feel like we've been in a bit of a stasis.

i really like the part about Illyrio's deceased wife, Serra, being a Blackfyre/Varys' sister. Aegon possibly being their son. A very interesting theory for Aegon looking so much like a Targ. it every one does still seem every curious still about Illyrio and Varys having taken in the Targs and the very careful care they gave to aegon ect.

I wasn't disputing the theory, just saying that I hadn't seen it. Refreshing really to be on a subject other than the death of Jon. Since Needle's Jon/warg/ice-wraith thesis, I feel like we've been in a bit of a stasis.
The picture in the locket was mentioned in a Varys thread (I think). Aegon being illyrio's son was NOT and is brilliant.

Surely the reason that 'Aegon' looks so much like a Targ is that he's a (former**) Faceless Man.

** - Or he's been trained in the ways of the Faceless Men by an expert: his father, Varys.

Surely the reason that 'Aegon' looks so much like a Targ is that he's a (former**) Faceless Man.

** - Or he's been trained in the ways of the Faceless Men by an expert: his father, Varys.

Ooooooh, I love it. I KNEW varys wasn't a eunuch. :D

So Aegon is a faceless man? How come he hasn't completed his mission in the 15+ years he's been wandering about, studying and planning a coup? Lol, I suppose he's had to learn patience from his father as well... LOL

As for his being Illyrio's son... that has potential... Does anyone have any evidence, or is this just speculation?

So Aegon is a faceless man? How come he hasn't completed his mission in the 15+ years he's been wandering about, studying and planning a coup? Lol, I suppose he's had to learn patience from his father as well... LOL

As for his being Illyrio's son... that has potential... Does anyone have any evidence, or is this just speculation?

It would explain "what's in it" for varys and illyrio, more specifically why do they really care who sits the Iron Throne? Perhaps when Varys tells Kevan lannister that he's doing it "for the children" he means the children of the Blackfyres.

As for Aegon. We know that Illyrio's wife was a Targ. GRRm tells us that by revealing the picture in the locket to us. Again, we have only Varys word for his lineage, just as we only have Varys word that he's a eunuch. Of course, the counter to that argument would be, why does varys need to lie to a dying Kevan Lannister. SHouldn't we beleive what he says about Aegon?

Speculation (but not of the pure sort ;)).

By the way, the suggestion wasn't that Aegon was a Faceless Man, but that he had been given some of the relevant training, by one who knows their tricks and skills. There has been some speculation suggesting that Varys was (or had been) a Faceless Man. Varys is not the most trustworthy of people; given that he's quite keen to point out how long ago his ability to father children was taken from him, one would be forgiven for thinking that he's hiding that he can have children.

Varys, and his co-conspirator Illyrio, wanted Aegon on the throne; in furtherance of this, they have been actively seeking to remove other Targs from the frame:
  • Varys helped arrange for Dany's demise; no doubt he was there, behind the scenes, egging Robert on (not that Robert needed much encouragement; Varys will have been keeping this issue on the boil, I expect).
  • Illyrio arranged a deal between Viserys (the personification of impatience and someone who believed he was owed respect because of who he was, not what he did) and the Dothraki, who see a bargain as an exchange of gifts (with a rather elastic view of the timescale involved and the size of the payment**), and who don't travel over salt water. That was never going to end well, was it? (I almost feel sorry for Viserys: he'd given his sister - who in other circumstances might well have become his wife - for nothing: no guaranteed help with winning his throne; some of the most difficult in-laws on their world.)
** - They never did pay for Dany. Khal Drogo decided to support Dany's campaign to conquer Westeros in a fit of wounded male pride (and the thought of much killing and raping, and many slaves); his intention was to return home to Vaes Dothrak with the spoils.

Speculation (but not of the pure sort ;)).

By the way, the suggestion wasn't that Aegon was a Faceless Man, but that he had been given some of the relevant training, by one who knows their tricks and skills. There has been some speculation suggesting that Varys was (or had been) a Faceless Man. Varys is not the most trustworthy of people; given that he's quite keen to point out how long ago his ability to father children was taken from him, one would be forgiven for thinking that he's hiding that he can have children.

Varys, and his co-conspirator Illyrio, wanted Aegon on the throne; in furtherance of this, they have been actively seeking to remove other Targs from the frame:
  • Varys helped arrange for Dany's demise; no doubt he was there, behind the scenes, egging Robert on (not that Robert needed much encouragement; Varys will have been keeping this issue on the boil, I expect).
  • Illyrio arranged a deal between Viserys (the personification of impatience and someone who believed he was owed respect because of who he was, not what he did) and the Dothraki, who see a bargain as an exchange of gifts (with a rather elastic view of the timescale involved and the size of the payment**), and who don't travel over salt water. That was never going to end well, was it? (I almost feel sorry for Viserys: he'd given his sister - who in other circumstances might well have become his wife - for nothing: no guaranteed help with winning his throne; some of the most difficult in-laws on their world.)
** - They never did pay for Dany. Khal Drogo decided to support Dany's campaign to conquer Westeros in a fit of wounded male pride (and the thought of much killing and raping, and many slaves); his intention was to return home to Vaes Dothrak with the spoils.
Most of what you say makes sense.

Why give Dany the dragon eggs though? Just a mistake, never dreaming the eggs could hatch?

I was thinking about that as I posted.

The circumstances surrounding the hatching were pretty extraordinary, so It's unlikely that Illyrio could have foreseen that happening. But he may have thought that in the unlikely event of a hatching occurring, Dany (and/or Viserys) would have been unable to look after or control the dragons. (It's very easy to imagine Viserys being roasted at some point.)

I was thinking about that as I posted.

The circumstances surrounding the hatching were pretty extraordinary, so It's unlikely that Illyrio could have foreseen that happening. But he may have thought that in the unlikely event of a hatching occurring, Dany (and/or Viserys) would have been unable to look after or control the dragons. (It's very easy to imagine Viserys being roasted at some point.)

Or perhaps they just never dreamed that magic would return and the eggs could hatch. But then there's the FM at The Citadel

Given that the plan was for Aegon to marry Daenerys throws a lot of this in question. If a certain stunted Lannister hadn't stumbled into the mix, Aegon would be enroute to Mereen now.