Well... it's possible....

Meowrr and congratulations. I know we've been talking about this outside of the forums but I have to woot and do a little dance here too.

This has been a long time coming and no one deserves it more. Enjoy the writing and I'm keeping my paws crossed. From what I've seen, you're certainly of to a good start.

Thanks, Foxbat. It's going to take a while to get it all into shape, especially given the addition of new pieces, but it is progressing....

It was coming to this forum and reading Jerry's excellent, intelligent and informed posts (he is remarkably informed!) that impress'd me enough to suggest to Hippocampus Press that they encourage J. D. to work on a book. But when working with an editor, my dear, never shew any self-doubt; even if you have hesitations, reveal only your enthusiasm to your publisher, and your dedication. You have a genius for essays regarding Lovecraft, and your write those essays brilliantly. The book will happen, because I will continue to express my profound excitement for such a book to S. T. and Derrick. Wishing you the very best.

Thank you, Wilum... both for the efforts and for the kind words. I suppose it has just become second nature to not make an assumption of this nature; hope for, definitely; be enthusiastic about, heck yes! But take it for granted it will be accepted and published... that one's going to take me some time to get to....;)

Incidentally, I'm working on another piece for you to look over, dealing with "Quinsnicket Park".... Should be on its way to you later this evening, albeit in early draft form....

These things seem to be multiplying.

Though such a book will not be coming until at least late 2013 (barring the universe rearing back and delivering a miracle), STJ nonetheless suggested I send along some things for consideration for the Lovecraft Annual as well; and sure enough, he has opted to publish my essay on "Sources of Anxiety in Lovecraft's 'Polaris'". I've done some revision, as requested, but am having some odd problems with formatting at the moment, so am a bit frustrated. But that should be worked out soon, and the journal doesn't go to print until at least this summer, so....

And then today I received an email from Robert H. Waugh, certainly one of the major Lovecraftian scholars today, asking if I would be interested in participating in an anthology of essays on influences on HPL. I've not had any dealings with him before, though I admire his work tremendously, so it was very much a case of sitting there with my jaw on the floor for a good half-hour just taking this in....

Wonderful News J.D. May your opportunities multiply and may your troubles be subtracted.

I haven't been trawling the Lovecraft sub forum for a while so I missed this thread, but congratulations JD and I hope something sees the light of day. It's long overdue.

...that the title of this thread hid - from me, at least - the gravity of its contents.

Many congratulations, JD. The offers seem to be flying in for you and your work. Off hand, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

Watch out for those beggars in the GRR Martin forum, though, they're vicious in there... ;)
While TJ may be overstating the case, I think it's better to give that sub-forum a miss. (Some there may imagine that GRRM will be distracted by all those thousands of pages of Lovecraft scholarship, putting the next ASoIaF book off for at least another year. They will hate you for it, mark my words....)

Thank you both. Yes, the offers have been definitely on an upswing this year, though I've not had anything new for a while now (which is fine -- the essay for Dr. Waugh's book is requiring a serious amount of research).

And yes, I'm afraid my sometimes cryptic headings do rather work against me at times....:eek:

I only found the thread because today is W H Pugmire's birthday and I wanted to see if he'd been out and about since his stay in hospital late last year. The search brought me to this thread.

I only found the thread because today is W H Pugmire's birthday and I wanted to see if he'd been out and about since his stay in hospital late last year. The search brought me to this thread.

I'm doing okay. You can keep up with me via my blog and my MrWilum channel on YouTube. As for J. D., I am so proud to call him my friend and see that his fantastic work regarding HPL is on its way to publication. I got to know him through this forum. I was especially grateful when he wrote ye Introduction to my finest book. He's a fabulous gent and scholar!

Thank you, Wilum. I must admit I blush when I receive such praise, but it is most certainly appreciated! And, as I've said before, doing that piece was a pleasure and delight, as the book itself is, I think, a high-water mark in weird writing....

About time for an update....

For one thing, as has been mentioned elsewhere, I do have a piece in this year's Lovecraft Annual ("Sources of Anxiety in Lovecraft's 'Polaris'") -- one of my personal favorites among my writings, as a matter of fact, so it pleases me mightily that it has been included there.

Also, I received a message from Dr. Waugh requesting an author's bio for the Lovecraft and Influence anthology... so obviously my essay (on the influence of the Augustans on HPL) was accepted there as well! (I got this request this morning, which began my day much better than I expected.)

The work on the book-length manuscript, however, has been going veeerrrrrry slowly, due to pressures at work and dealing with various unpleasantnesses otherwise, including the stresses from that little trip to the emergency room (for which, see the "Shout Your Frustrations..." thread in the Lounge) and its financial fallout... but, even though slow, it is proceeding, and I hope to pick up the pace on it during or immediately following the holidays.....

JD,

Thanks for the updates. And congratulations on your progress as an author and Lovecraftian scholar.