Discussion - January 2012 - 75 Word Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get how "Are as I?" worked as an actual line, but I did get that it was Area 51.

I didn't get how "Are as I?" worked as an actual line, but I did get that it was Area 51.

Oh lord -- I didn't get that until just now! I'm gonna go bang my head on something. Or read Ursa's punny thing again. Either one should hurt about the same. :D

What cheek!

Of course reading mine will hurt more.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to (well, I guess I rather overtly did, but shouldn't) imply that a mere wall could possibly inflict a level of damage of your caliber. I don't know what I was thinking.

I thought it suggested possible meanings (to do with connection, similarity etc) rather than had a definite meaning that could be pinned down. Which, if it works (as it did for me) is very clever, as it vastly widens the scope of the story to the relationship between native Americans and European settlers, and mythology and science. But I'm not sure what Stormcrow himself meant by it.

AMB, TDZ - I think HB has probably covered it pretty well (thanks HB), the immediate thing with the last line is 'Area 51', but by implying a question I hoped to 'generate' some abstraction.
Hopefully, this works as more than just a 'stunt'!!

One connection that struck me (which I forgot to mention before) about the "Are as I?" line is the possible similarity in nature between the Thunderbird of myth and the Roswell UFO.

HB - yes, this a good example of exactly the kind of abstract connection I hoped to imply: "Are... (you/they/we)...as I?"

With the preceding line being a question, I took it as "Are you as curious about it as I?". In that context it worked for me.

Springs forgot to say congratulations. (Parson ashamedly admits to not seeing the cross until it was pointed out, and understanding the 5 and 1 but missing on area 51.)

Congratulations Springs. I've been throttled by life the past couple of weeks, so I didn't get in to vote. Four SL/HM's this month, but no votes. Must do better next time.

[FONT=&quot]I'm going to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]drop these off here so I won't be tempted to use them some other time.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This challenge I kept getting ideas, but they didn't quite seem to work for me.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I couldn't pass up the weirdness of a Rastafarian gunslinger. Perhaps someone will get a chuckle out of them. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 18[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The treasure map was a lie. No gold, nor life, we’ve found beyond the cactus barrens. On a windless, sweltering plain, how can cactus sway? Even vicious Indians dared not pursue. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We sought salvation from this dark pool in the wasteland, but our horses won’t approach. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Undrinkable water, chill to the touch, though the sun cracks the very ground.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some presence holds us here. Tonight we camp and pray no foul thing rises from it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fanny Frackles’ Alien Wild West Show[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What strange mysteries await you beneath our Big Top?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pack your covered wagon and find out![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our from-the-stars attraction:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Four-handed trick shooter ARLAXIAN ANNIE!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](What’s better than two six-shooters? FOUR!)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]………………. Also Featuring:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]………………. Tellall the Tombstone Reader (Predicting your tombstone since 1827)*[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]………………. Jarlian Snake Oils[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]………………. Special ** performances in our Brothel Tent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fun for the whole frontier family!!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] *[Dates NOT included]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]**[Ages 21+][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Visit us on the Weird West Web: www.fannyfrackles.wrd[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Peyote Dreams[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alone I performed my tribe’s rite of passage.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This cloudless night I chased a lover across cactus barrens where prickly arms conspired to keep us apart. From steep mesas we launched into the stars.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Entwined in contentment we plummeted deep into earth mother’s embrace.
Arising as a phoenix, we looked into each other’s soul with eyes greedy as fire.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I awoke, an unfamiliar form lay covered beside me.
Gripping the blanket, I pulled it away.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back