Black Mirror

I thought Hang The DJ was the only weak link in S4, I thought that he couldn’t decide on where to go with it so decided on a cliched ending at the last minute, otherwise really good

For some reason I have completely missed Black Mirror until about a week ago. Now I'm an avid watcher, though as someone here said, it is difficult to binge on it, as each episode needs some serious afterthought. I'm only up to half way through Season 3 (so lots yet to see.) I also wondered if the quality would fall when it went from 1-4 per Season up to 6 per Season. However, while White Christmas and Be Right Back were good, those episodes that I've just seen are easily the best yet. Shut Up and Dance was genuinely chilling, but San Junipero should have been an Oscar nominated film. It is my new favourite series and I still have 8 episodes left to watch! It is also great seeing actors and actresses from other series I watch turning up in roles.

The only criticism I would make is that the episodes seem to be largely about VR and life extension via VR or else the perils of social media. There is certainly room for a science fiction anthology series, or two, like this that covers every aspect of science fiction - as Outer Limits and Twilight Zone did and as Electric Dreams currently does. I'm certain that given the right scripts and cast such a show could be mainstream and even as big as Game of Thrones.

Anyone looking for a similar experience to BM should check out Inside Number 9 , which has some very good (and some very funny) episodes.

Bumping this as I have just watched the first series. Very interesting (and bleak) observation on technology.

Netflix has been releasing a steady stream of trailers for Black Mirror Season 4 over the past week. This one caught my eye:

Thanks to a full page ad in the NY Times by Netflix a couple of days ago, I skipped ahead to watch this (Emmy nominated) episode. Very well done and quite provocative.

Thanks to a full page ad in the NY Times by Netflix a couple of days ago, I skipped ahead to watch this (Emmy nominated) episode. Very well done and quite provocative.

A USS Callister Tv Series ?

There is a new Black Mirror out. Called Bandersnatch I haven't seen it and don't want to get spoilered but just wanted to share the news.

A Bandersnatch is a Larry Niven creature. Don't know the relevance. The only spoiler I have is that Twitter says the story is a
choose your own adventure.

I should also say that Bandersnatch was a nonsense invented by Lewis Carroll, and in the trailer for this episode, it is a game based on a fictitious science fiction book by a fictitious author called Jerome F Davies.
Black Mirror Bandersnatch: Is Jerome F Davies real? Does he really exist?

I can only seem to get the trailer on Netflix on TV. It may be that you need to watch it online for the interactivity, or that may just be Black Mirror being typically Black Mirror. However, I took the risk to click on Twitter and some people seem to have actually seen this already. There are possibly different release dates in different regions.

a feature on a new fifth season of Black Mirror, but Netflix has instead unveiled a standalone film with a trailer that asks viewers to "change your past, your present, your future." And in a rare turn for the series, this "event" film sees the show's universe step backward in time, not forward. The trailer employs a decidedly '80s British new-wave aesthetic and introduces an up-and-coming video game company set to capitalize on the nation's early-'80s home-computing boom. (The British flourishes help this trailer look singular, as opposed to seeming like a Stranger Things carbon-copy.)

This new gaming company will make its mark by adapting a notorious sci-fi novel, named Bandersnatch, and the trailer sees an apparent protagonist descend into madness by trying to understand the book's notorious author. Pills, vinyl records, wild hairdos, VCRs, and mysterious figures emerge along the way (as do some not-so-subtle references to other Black Mirror episodes, such as the name of the fictional game company matching that of a robot-dog factory from the series' fourth season).

We'll likely have to wait until 2019 to see how the rest of Black Mirror's announced fifth season unfolds in terms of release dates, number of episodes, and whether any other episodes employ similar choose-the-ending gimmicks.
“Change your future” tomorrow with choice-filled Black Mirror film on Netflix

Watching it now. This is a MUST watch. It is inspired. Everything that Ready, Player One and The Matrix are not. So many different paths to take. I especially like the "Netflix/Open the Window" option where the fourth wall is broken. You'll need to watch to understand that, but the "film sees the show's universe step backward in time, not forward" is only true for some of the options.

Reactions: ctg
Finished it.
People on Twitter are asking, "Is there an option when he doesn't go mad? However, there is one. I got it first of all. He works for the game developer and the game sucks 0/5 stars. I want to know, is there an option when the game gets more than two and a half stars, and is there any option when the game works but he doesn't go mad in the process? It seems that creating the game is itself the problem, as it also was for Jerome F Davies.

Lots of interesting London locations used. I spotted the Ernö Goldfinger Grade II* listed Trellick Tower, as well as No. 1 Croydon, and also St George's Walk, Croydon.

I can't believe no one wants to discuss this. I didn't take all the possible options. I didn't...
Kill Dad (at least not deliberately. In one option it happened anyway. Then he ends up in a prison cell and the game still gets two and half stars.)

I also didn't find the toy and then Take Train, the later train with his mother anyway, knowing that they will both die horribly. Some people on Twitter did that.

You need to see the red flash with a white star for your device to be compatible.

I don't know about Virgin boxes but I couldn't use the microsoft Neflix App on my laptop, I had to use an internet browser (Chrome) and sign into the Netflix website. So, I'm guessing no on that.

I also don't know about a Kindlefire. Try it out. If it doesn't work you just get the two minute trailer.

I might try again and choose Frosties this time. I think that was where I went wrong?

Edit: Does anyone know the correct phone number?

I watched it again. Deliberately made different choices.
Killed father and chopped up the body. Game gets five stars. Game withdrawn when they find out about Stefan, but Colin's daughter Pearl recreates the game in the present day. Even more weird than other endings. Endless loop.

I will watch it so I'm avoid spoilers. What I want to know about the structure. Does it do a good job with the choose your own adventure style?

Yes, I've watched the whole thing twice, and the parts were shown in a totally different order. it is hard to explain without spoiling, but one of the themes is whether any of us have any "free will" and that not only explains the protagonist, Stefan's lack of free will over his choices, but also our own about making those choices for him.

There are meant to be five different endings. I'm not sure I've seen them all. I've definitely seen four of them.

Edit: I've seen a flow diagram with all the choices possible.
I've taken them all except the dying on the train, and then some more weird scenarios where Kitty digs up Dad's buried body and Stefan has to murder Colin too.