Black Mirror

HUGE New US fan of the show. Just finished watching the series on Netflix over the weekend and the past few days. I usually binge watch, but this show you can't really do that. The most I could do was two eps a day. IMDB was doing a list of what your favorite episodes were and I will list them in order from greatest or most thought provoking to least liked

1. White Bear: Ever since I watched this yesterday it has stuck in my mind. That rarely happens. What an interesting way of "justice." I'll see how I feel about it in a week. Though, I did have a similar idea a while back and was thrilled to see something similar on TV. Leave it up to the brits huh?

2. The National Anthem: I am wondering why something like this hasn't happened yet. Maybe our society isn't as sick and twisted as Brooker would like us to think. Gives me hope actually! Huge sucker for anything politics related.

3. White Christmas: Huge Jon Hamm fan. That's weird to say out loud. But the beginning and ending was great! I didn't really care for the middle/torture of the machine...

4. Fifteen Million Merits: This one was great and was my favorite up until I watched White Bear. Made me think, doesn't this happen now anyway? Lady Sybil anyone? :love:

5. Be Right Back: Interesting concept but pretty creepy and Asimov-y. Did they really need to ingrain into our minds that the robot was creepy by making the robot say he was?

6. The Waldo Moment: I thought this one could have been done a lot better than it was and it was a huge disappointment. Since again, I love politics. I also didn't really quite understand the ending and why the cops were going crazy over someone throwing stuff at a picture of the bear.

7. The Entire History of You: HATED this one with a passion!!! It was too British for my taste and I hate relationship drama that doesn't seem to have a story. Needless to say the only episode I didn't finish.

Good news! Black Mirror has been commissioned for a third series of twelve episodes, all created and produced by the original team, to air on Netflix around the globe (but no solid plans for the UK yet - wouldn't be surprising to see them stay on Channel 4).

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/25/netflix-charlie-brooker-black-mirror/

Due to start shooting this year, so it's not too much of a long shot to say we'll probably get them towards the end of Summer next year. Exciting!

I read that C4 and Netflix are having a bit of a fight about UK rights so I guess we'll hear about air dates when they've sorted that out.

I wonder what Brooker will predict about the British ruling class this time around?

I do like Black Mirror; but in the UK it has been released at a rate of circa 3 episodes a year. I am worried that Brooker will lose his influence over the Netflix versions and it will turn into the standard US, written-by-committee fare. I even find this with great US dramas- the likes of Breaking Bad- there is still a "writers room" feel to them, that will blunt Black Mirror.

I do like Black Mirror; but in the UK it has been released at a rate of circa 3 episodes a year. I am worried that Brooker will lose his influence over the Netflix versions and it will turn into the standard US, written-by-committee fare. I even find this with great US dramas- the likes of Breaking Bad- there is still a "writers room" feel to them, that will blunt Black Mirror.

yes this is more Black Mirror coming at us than ever before. We'll see if the writing holds up, but I don't doubt until I watch.

Today (I think it was today, first I've heard of it and my finger is firmly on the butt.... etc) Netflix released a trailer for Black Mirror series 3
6 episodes and loads of big name (and very talented actors)

I am now looking forward to this more than ever, a truly brilliant series (the first 2 anyway) so hopefully it will continue in the same dark sci-fi vein.

Today (I think it was today, first I've heard of it and my finger is firmly on the butt.... etc) Netflix released a trailer for Black Mirror series 3
6 episodes and loads of big name (and very talented actors)

I am now looking forward to this more than ever, a truly brilliant series (the first 2 anyway) so hopefully it will continue in the same dark sci-fi vein.
Beat me to it @Moonbat. Good Looking out. Yes really stellar cast. Looks like there will be a big story about the popularity meter. Many futurists think will become something akin to a new type of currency. Much like 15 Million Merits or perhaps the beginning of it?? That would be really cool if these stories intertwined or were made to look that way!

Just watched the first episode - Nosedive - last night and it was pretty darn good.
Living in a word where rating each other is the norm and people with higher ratings getting more privileges. Simple extrapolation of likes into a sort of hot or not scenario where being nice gets people to up rate you, but being a pain you get down rated.
Sinister and chilling and wonderfully cynical at the same time. A good start to the Netflix era.

I thought the whole season was excellent. The first was the weakest for me, with the final one definitely being my favourite. But all the ones in between were very good too.

I agree the whole season was really good, but I really liked the first ep, one of my favourites.
So, quick reviews of each ep. Hopefully no Spoilers!

1. Very satirical, social media-esque
2. More of a horror and nicely done/explained but I didn't feel it did anything new, the old multiple wake up is over used.
3. Dark and twisted, I really liked this, again an online virus issue, but really unique twist at the end that had us rooting for the main character but turned it on its head at the end.
4. Sentimental look at possible conscious uploading, well handled and nice.
5. Great military look at improved killing, I thought this was a really good episode with a nice take on the idea of man's reluctance to kill
6. This was almost a movie, 90mins long and at times felt like a little horror/detective piece. Another good episode.

All in all a good series, but as always over too soon and not enough episodes. I did enjoy a few episodes more than others.

Netflix has been releasing a steady stream of trailers for Black Mirror Season 4 over the past week. This one caught my eye:

Black Mirror Season 4 review:
1. USS Callister: My favorite episode!!!!! The Orville/Star Trek mashup. It's a holodeck episode Black Mirror style.
2. Arkangel: Most realistic episode. The ultimate helicopter parent. Go Jodi Foster.
3. Crocodile: Really twisted memory extraction episode. It's like ten times worse than what Harry did to Dumbeldore.
4. Hang the DJ: The culty dating app. They could have really explained more why they were all acting cult-like.
5. Metalhead: Second favorite. Thought I would hate it, but it ended up being really good. Basically Boston Dynamic Robots are hunting humans in a survival story.
6. Black Museum- Not quite as racist as you might think. I had no idea what this one was going to be about, but it ended up being pretty cool. Like four stories in one!

If there was a theme to this season it was definitely AI Virtual Reality and consciousness. What people will do with this stuff in the next century is extremely scary. Thanks Black Mirror. UGH.

Last edited:
Only just started watching this - two episodes into the first season.

So far I'm not really getting it. Too many things that seem unrealistic to me distract me with the result that the big ideas are getting lost on me. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Only just started watching this - two episodes into the first season.

So far I'm not really getting it. Too many things that seem unrealistic to me distract me with the result that the big ideas are getting lost on me. Guess we'll see how it goes.

I definitely felt a similar way. Lots of inconsistencies even with my favorite ep. It's definitely lost some edge but I'm not complaining.

This would, imho, work better as a forty minute show, with a much tightened script.

This would, imho, work better as a forty minute show, with a much tightened script.

Black Museum is the episode you are searching for. Although I don't think Metalhead's script was terrible. It barely had one, which might have helped ;) I guess I should change that to plot.