I dont get it.

Azzagorn

As you can tell from my title I don't get the aura Mr. King as got as a writer, I don't think he is particularly good. I'm in the middle of reading the first dark tower book, and to say I am finding it hard to relate to the gunslinger would be a understatement.

This is my first venture into King territory and though I am willing to wade through the book to get to the punchline. I fear the journey there may be a litte labourious.

To be fair I don't usually read horror books (not since goosebumps anyway) so maybe I should reserve judgement? I don't know.

Maybe its because my heart belongs to Fantasy and Science Fiction deep down I don't want to know maybe other genres! And I know this is wrong after all varity is the spice of life, right?

Az

Maybe its because my heart belongs to Fantasy and Science Fiction deep down I don't want to know maybe other genres! And I know this is wrong after all varity is the spice of life, right?

Az

I read every genre out there; if the story grips me, I'll read it and I think it really helps as a writer, keeps you fresh and not genre bound.

I love King, but I'm not sure I'd start with the Dark Tower series; he was trying to do something very specific with it and they're not the most accessible of his books.

Like all prolific writers, he has a fair bit of tat out there; Lissy's story springs to mind.

But if you're not sure you like horror there are some that aren't TOO horrific; Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption from Different Seasons is very good (novella length), Dead Zone, Firestarter all spring to mind as a good read.

If you want to dip your toe into more horrific stuff of his, IT is fantastic (and has a lot to answer for in terms of the reputation of clowns), Salem's Lot is a classic vampire story. His most renowned work, probably, is the Stand, but it takes a lot of wading through and some of it is really horrific (subways, anyone? I never walk through one now without thinking of NYC) - I loved it, though.

the thing King is really good at is characters, making them really accessible, and identifiable to the reader (don't laugh, he reminds me of Maeve Binchy the way he does this, see I didn't lie about the genre thing), and getting us to like them before he does whatever gruesome thing comes next.

King said he'd try to frighten you, if that didn't work he'd scare you, then creep you out and if needs be, he'd stoop to grossing you out - or something to that effect.

On his best form, there is noone better at it.

I'd class King as a fantasy writer, myself. He takes something we all think and turns it into a novel, whereas the rest of us are satisfied to say "what if the delete key on my lap-top actually deleted reality" or something and let it go at that.

I've not been able to get too seriously involved in reading his work, either, but I'm glad there's someone out there exploring these concepts in a more-or-less grown-up way.

The seven Dark Tower books are the only volumes of fiction** by King that I've read. I thought that they were reasonably accessible, even though I only recognised some of the references to his other work because I've seen some the films adapted from them.

The only book of the seven with which I had real trouble was Wizard and Glass, but that's only because reading about a series of hormone-driven errors made by the immature isn't really my thing.

** - I've also read On Writing.

Yeah, you might want to read some of his other stuff first, like: Carrie, Firestarter, Cycle of the Werewolf, Stand, etc. Gunslinger is awful.

If i had a nickel for every time I heard someone judge the King on his Dark tower series I could probably buy both of his houses.

I personally am not a fan of his Dark Tower series, and I LOVE reading Stephen King. Reading Hearts in Atlantis right now.

Try reading his other stuff, if you dare.

I'm not a Stephen King fan - kind of liked Tommyknockers and IT, but then there are a lot of authors who are popular I don't 'get'.

I don't see that as an issue and just assume they are good at what they do, as they have communicated a story in such a way lots of people want to read them. For horror I prefer Wilkie Collins and Agatha Christie.

Moggle is right, SK is better understood if you read some of his older books, The Shining is brilliant, Pet Sematary is great, Needful Things is great story telling. Don't expect high action, but do expect great characterization, he writes kids very well and he has a knack of capturing the darkness of the human soul very well. the Stand is amazing even though it's long it never bores, there is always something happening. Leave the Dark Tower series until you have at least read 5 of his books.

Even though the Dark Tower is all in all my favorite, I probably wouldn't recommend starting with the Gunslinger. I started with Drawing of the Three and was hooked!

To begin I agree with some others here in recommending The Stand, it is deep, engrossing and possible!

For a little more sci-fi, in a different way, Tommeyknockers is also very good.

You got started on the wrong foot. The Dark Tower is a very intricate story and it encompasses damn near every book he has ever written. Start on something easy like The Shining, IT, or Salem's Lot or an even better idea is to start with his short stories, the Night Shift collection is my favorite.

To be honest I don't really get it either, I kinda wish I could get inot his books but the details in the first couple of chapters drive me crazy I can't get past that. i\I'm sure he's really good but I just can't get into it.

You might try his history of horror, DANSE MACABRE. I thought it was great and if his writing ability was ever in doubt no such thing exists here.

Interesting considering that horror is really an offshoot of fantasy

Gunslinger is awful.

I have to thoroughly disagree with this thought personally but to each his own. I definitely wouldn't put it as a first read of King though, bad choice. If you really want to try King's horror, then It, Pet Semetary, The Shining would be great or try some of his short stories.

Yeah, you might want to read some of his other stuff first, like: Carrie, Firestarter, Cycle of the Werewolf, Stand, etc. Gunslinger is awful.
I like the stuff you mention here (particularly Cycle of the Werewolf) but personally The Gunslinger was my entry point into Stephen King's material and remains my favorite work he's done to this day. There is just something about the scope, power, and emptiness of that piece that appeals to me.

It is a hard work to classify though...by design. The Dark Tower really encompasses nearly all genres.

Dolores Claiborne, Misery and Rose Madder are the King books I recommend for newbies, in that they're less paranormal than others.