Melanie Rawn

hopewrites

Crochet Streamer
after gushing about my favorite author in so many other threads I decided to make a thread for her to see if anyone else has read her and what they think.

I've read both her Dragon trilogies and the first two Exiles books, and love them to death!!

I read her Dragon books a while ago, but I'm really most impressed with her collaborative effort - The Golden Key. I recently just reread it and it still held me captivated. Melanie Rawn has written a prequel to it called the Diviner. It covers the discovery of the magic used in The Golden Key world. I enjoyed it as well, but The Golden Key is my fave.

I always really like Melanie Rawn, like Hope, I read all six Dragon books, and the first two Exiles, which I thought surpassed the Dragon series, and it has been a source of frustration that she has seen fit not to finish the series. Yet.

Funnily the last time I responded to an author query was Gavriel Kay, in which I mentioned his epic Tigana had a stand out moment that moved me beyond the written word, and Rawn does the same in Stronghold. I remember reading it getting about two pages ahead and then suddenly stopping and thinking what did I just read and going back and reading again, because the words carried me on and I did not want to stop, but I could not believe what had just happened.

Brilliant stuff.

Strangely in the reading club of SFX magazine they are about to take a look at Dragon Prince, which is kudos indeed as they generally look at genre classics.

Finally:

Melanie Rawn - Anyone else like her?

Melanie Rawn

Two other threads floating around the Chrons for anyone who is interested (but they have been dormant and gathering virtual dust for a long time)

If she ever finishes the Exiles trilogy, I'll buy the whole lot. Read the Dragon trilogies ages ago, but never picked up Exiles (thank goodness. the last thing I need is yet another unfinished series on my shelf!).

Apparently Ms. Rawn has suffered horribly from a clinical depression for years that has kept her from writing anything substantive. Poor thing. I've seen enough of that horrible disease to last me forever.

Thanks for the links PM I hadnt seen them before.

I agree Clansman, it is very sad, but even if she never finishes the Exiles series it is one I will always have been glad I read.

I concur Hope, although the third book might never appear, I'd rather have read what exists of the series than nothing at all,

I'm half afraid she stopped because of the fan upset over :spoiler: Col's death. personally I dont think he is dead, but I'm an optimist and have read too much Terry Brooks.Ether way I enjoy looking forward to what she will write of it next, and in the mean time thoroughly enjoy what she has written of it.

I enjoyed the two Dragon trilogies and the two Exiles books. To me it felt like there should be another Dragon trilogy or two. Another for Pol, and another for all those kids.

Though I can't say I'm exactly the happiest about her never finishing the last Exile book. I wish she had finished it instead of writing those two urban fantasy books. I haven't read those, but the next book was canceled it sounded like so it didn't give allot of motivation to read them.

I will probably get the first book in her new trilogy when it comes out though. Hopefully it won't take a hundred years to finish.