Guy Gavriel Kay

I have a nice random question.

In Tigana, is there a map in the actual book? I ask because I have this on audio, which for obvious reasons doesn't produce a map, and wonder if one exists.

One quick rummage on the bookshelf behind the Christmas Tree to double check...

Yes there is.

There are indeed a couple of maps.

Tigana

One quick rummage on the bookshelf behind the Christmas Tree to double check...

Yes there is.

There are indeed a couple of maps.

Tigana

Thanks, I googled the maps but only found a couple. I also didn't know if they just made it up.

Thanks!

Sailing to Sarantium really surprised me, I did not think I was going to enjoy it that much at all, but it blew me away.
I read Sailing to Sarantium last week and am now about two thirds of the way through Lord of Emperors. I agree, it's fantastic! :)

Guy Gavrial Kay is up there as one of THE great authors in the fantasy genre. The Fionovar Tapestry is a cracking story, ultimately an emotional one, as so much of Kay's works are. If I was to pick a book though, it would be The Lions of Al -Rassan. Overall it is a brilliant book, but one scene(and I think all who have read know which one) packs an awesome emotional punch.

As a writer Kay's prose is second to none and the scenes painted are vivid and alive. Wonerful writer that I go back to time and time again.

Are his books heavy reading? The are so many comparisons to other authors who have totally different writing styles. For instance, works by Gemmell & Hobb are quite light reading but Erikson & GRRM are on the heavy side.

Are his books heavy reading?
I don't think so, not at all. I think he falls somewhere between those authors you mention. He's a real wordsmith, IMO. I find his writing has the sort of engrossing quality to it that makes you want to stop and read passages again, not because they are difficult to understand, but because they are so well written. The other great aspect is that most of his books are stand-alone stories.

Probably the easiest thing to do is read one of the samples on Amazon and see for yourself. You can read the opening of 'The Lions of Al-Rassan' here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060733497/?tag=brite-21

GGK writes some of the most beautiful prose of any writer walking the earth. I adore him. Almost to an irrational degree.