Red Dwarf X

HoopyFrood

It's me! Hurrah!
So, it seems official. Red Dwarf will be coming back to the small screen (so far definitely on Dave, other companies are also looking into screening it) in 2012 for a six episode series.

Series number ten.

Where's nine? I guess this follows from the Easter Specials, then, where we were told about series nine, how brilliant it was and -- we'll never see it! It'll just be the series where Kochanski dies (such a shame) and I guess, if we want to be pedantic, when Rimmer did too and became a hologram again (some fans are hoping that we'll find out about that in the new series, and I have to say it would be pure Rimmer gold to see him die and become a hologram again. Imagine his reaction).

Anyway, Danny John-Jules has been tweeting like a fiend about this, which is how I found out about it. There have been a few script rehearsals now, and the set is being built.

And, it might make people glad to hear, it'll be back in front of a live audience. Which suggests the small sets and more situational comedy of the old series (although I'm still one of those people who did enjoy the Easter episodes for being -- as it says on the tin -- special and wider scoped).

Here's Robert Llewellyn talking about it: http://llewblog.squarespace.com/red-dwarf/

And make-up test!

I know people'll have their doubts about this. Me? I am looking forward to it a ridiculous amount!

I was hoping the Red Dwarf crew would return. :) Hmm, now I just have to figure out how to see those new episodes when they come out.

Darn it now I'll have to catch up on watching it all!!

Oh, you poor thing. That will be such a chore!

I have I to V on DVD that I may have to crack out again and rewatch to keep me going.

I am following sources on Twitter and Facebook, so will try to update this thread when they tell me new and exciting stuff!

Oh, you poor thing. That will be such a chore!

Oh it is indeed a terrible terrible chore - esp since most of what I've seen is only bits here and there. Lived in a home where Red Dwarf was not an accepted form of entertainment (coupled with its late showing hour); and then when I was "old enough" it was never on the air as much.....

It will have to join Babalon 5 as one of those series that I still need to see more/all of!

Heh, I remember always begging to be allowed to stay up just half an hour longer in order to watch it (and Bottom :D)

Then you have ALL the Red Dwarf to watch! Watch it! Doooo it!

But I might have to take out medical insurance first - I mean what if I pull a funny muscle it might hold up the watching of the rest for hours if not days! I'd need compensation for that!

I've still not seen the last episode of the Easter specials.

Will check this out for definite though. Even if I do kinda think they're all too old.

Well, going from the last episode in series VI, they can get put on a large amount of weight and age, judging by what happens to Rimmer!

And in Rimmerworld, personal health risks can get caught up in the algorithm that creates the hologram, so perhaps the ageing process would also get included.

Yeah, watched a few episodes over the weekend!

Anyway, so I'm here with the latest news! The first episode (well, who knows it'll be the actual first episode, but the first one to be filmed, at least) has been filmed. In front of an audience. And the experience has been written up.

It's quite long, but well worth the read. No spoilers, they're being very strict on that. Any spoilers and there'll be no audience allowed on the next series. Hear that? NEXT SERIES! Not just one, people!

Anyway, I say to those who might be having doubts about the return of this to read this. It might help ease your fears. The audience seems to have put the actors back into the old Red Dwarf frame of mind, being able to react to the audience's reactions, to change their facial expressions, their deliveries... I like the sound of it being a Rimmer-centric story, too. Yay!

http://www.ganymede.tv/indepth/red-dwarf-x-episode-1-set-report

Cheers, Hoops, sounds awesome! (Apart from the Kryten costume bit.)

There's a new trailer out if y'all want to see it, I can't post links yet.

Must admit, whilst planning to watch this, I was wondering if it'd be like Back to Earth in terms of being more miss than hit, but the not-too-specific review does suggest it'll actually be pretty good.

I haven't yet seen this and it's on Dave tonight. The first episode, Trojan, is very interesting and I've laughed out loud a few times. This bodes well.

Still no concrete XI news, Narkalui - occasionally Doug Naylor or one of the cast will mention that scripts are being written and that readthroughs are expected at some point soon, but as of yet it's still come to nothing.

Series X was a bit of a mixed bag for me - there were some classic Red Dwarf moments when it was good, but equally some half-baked jokes/ideas and many production problems. Watching the extras on the Blu-ray, I'm amazed Dear Dave even made it to screen, as much of it was unfinished when shooting had wrapped and entire chunks of it were bolted on afterwards, filmed in front of a green-screen!

Hopefully if Series XI does ever get off the ground it'll at least be able to avoid the production problems that beset this series - and with Doug Naylor having talked about working on scripts for years at this point, hopefully those will be much more polished too.