New Films, New Options, New Rumours....

Ocean's 8 looks quite good, but then I love Sandra Bullock. And also heard that Mortal Engines is being made(has been made?) into a film, so that'll be good!

After initially being announced in 2014, there has been progress on a film for one of my childhood favourite book series - Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree. I only bought the books to re-read a few months ago and thought the proposed film had come to a dead end.

Sam Mendes' production company have teamed up with StudioCanal (behind Swallows and Amazons, Paddington etc.) for a live action film.

Aha! *rubs hands together* Are you a betting man, Anthony? :whistle:

Sure! A little black jack. Some Texas Hold'em. Maybe even some roulette if I'm feeling lucky. What I would not do is bet that they will make a good D&D movie. I might as well spend my whole check on Lotto. Same chances. (Secretly I spend $2 a week on Lotto just in case).

Thing is DnD should be perfect Hollywood material.
It's full of tropes that make it super easy to setup a world and scene and quest; its got a focus on action and monsters, dragons, magic etc.... And the quest structure fits into a film time-line. It's actually surprising they've never managed to get it to work properly. Done right a big DnD should be the kind of thing that unseats the dominance of Marvel/DC

A live action Jonny Quest has been in the planning stages for years. Robert Rodriguez was set to be both director and co-writer, but the project stalled a few years ago. Now apparently it's on again. As a fan of the original JQ, I'd love to see this done right.

I'd also like to see Hanna-Barbara release an unedited DVD box set of the original series, but that's extremely unlikely as there were plenty of politically incorrect moments. It'd be cool though.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new Polish black and white film Cold War. It's competing right now in Cannes film festival and got some excellent reviews. Directed by the director of Ida - also black & white, brilliant film.

Lot of news back in August about Apple greenlighting Asimov's Foundation. Can't say I have seen much about it since. This is a case where a story needs to be 'actionified' , they did a good job on Man in a High Castle. Foundation is more 'conventional' science fiction (so to speak) but will have to be handled with care.

Dune. There has been news about Dune. Villeneuve will be using a different director of photography and Timothée Chalamet confirmed that he will be playing Paul.
I guess Legendary Pictures came up with the money for Dune? If two films this has got to be a 200 million plus movies. I had heard production was to begin in March but not seen that confirmed.

Dune. There has been news about Dune. Villeneuve will be using a different director of photography and Timothée Chalamet confirmed that he will be playing Paul.
I guess Legendary Pictures came up with the money for Dune? If two films this has got to be a 200 million plus movies. I had heard production was to begin in March but not seen that confirmed.

That is something to look forward to

That is something to look forward to

You know I can't think of a serious science fiction film in 2018. I don't count The Predator as SF (I didn't like it anyway). Since 2010 there have been just about one each year.
...Monsters , Gravity . Ex Machina , Predestination , Interstellar (tho that needed a better narrative) ,Arrival , The Martian, Blade Runner 2049 ,
Annihilation
is 2018, is good enough but not sure why Alex Garland picked that story ... and about a half dozen others that were OK .
We still get the klunkers , right now Mortal Engines, but things are not as bad as they used to be.

I don't count the comic book movies they are , when they have SF, just too pulpy for me.

So Dune on the horizon , which may be 2020 is about the only big SF I know.

Will this Dune have any connection to the work Jodorowsky has done?
No.
I really don't understand the interest in Jodorowsky's Dune. Watching that documentary made me conclude that Jodorowsky did not have an idea how to make the novel into a film. His money man figured this out fairly quickly. I thought the art designs did not fit the story, Lynch had a better eye.