New Films, New Options, New Rumours....

Iron Sky isn't that bad. The humour is a bit juvenile, and it dodges the tricky questions - but there are a couple of clever moments, and the design looks really cool. I've heard complaints it lacks wit... but then 99.9% of films suffer from that.

In The Times the other week it was mentioned that Alan Garner's Weirdstone of Brisingham is being made into a movie. It was part of a review for his new book which is set decades after the events in the Weirdstone.

I heard rumors a while back that a new Godzilla movie was scheduled for release in May 2014. It was not going to be like the movie in the late 90's but instead more like the movies from the 50's and 60's.

I heard on another forum that this was a horrible movie (bad writing, horrible acting, not very funny), though haven't seen it myself.

Some movies to look out for in 2013:

Oz: The Great And Powerful (Sam Raimi)
Star Trek 2
(J. J. Abrams)
Ender's Game
(Gavin Hood)
The Hobbit: There and Back Again
(Peter Jackson)
I just saw the Hobbit, I actually went to look it with my friends because I had heard that it was great. They had all seen the Lord of the Rings, but I hadn't. Don't they relate somehow to each other? I thought, that the movie was done well, too. It had nice backrounds, details, clothes etc. and everything seemed to be finalized well from the start till the end. ;D I liked it, though it wasn't that kind of a movie, I usually like to watch.
Thanks! ;)

I just saw the Hobbit, I actually went to look it with my friends because I had heard that it was great. They had all seen the Lord of the Rings, but I hadn't. Don't they relate somehow to each other? I thought, that the movie was done well, too. It had nice backrounds, details, clothes etc. and everything seemed to be finalized well from the start till the end. ;D I liked it, though it wasn't that kind of a movie, I usually like to watch.
Thanks! ;)

The Hobbit was amazing! Saw that with my brother on New Year's eve. I agree, everything was amazing!

In answer to your question, yes they do relate to each other. I won't tell you too much since you haven't seen the movies (have you read the books?), but the Hobbit explains where the ring comes from and sort of sets everything up for the journey throughout the Lord of the Rings.

Waiting for the new Superman movie called Man of Steel, apparently produced by Christopher Nolan and directed by Zack Snyder and some of the writers of the Dark Knight trilogy.

And Iron Man 3 is supposed to be out this year, cant wait

The Hobbit was amazing! Saw that with my brother on New Year's eve. I agree, everything was amazing!

In answer to your question, yes they do relate to each other. I won't tell you too much since you haven't seen the movies (have you read the books?), but the Hobbit explains where the ring comes from and sort of sets everything up for the journey throughout the Lord of the Rings.
Okay, thanks! ;D

Pacific Rim looks like it will be good fun!

I doubt it will be particularly clever, but it should be entertaining, and it's kind of nice to see a big-budget live-action film of something that is usually found only in anime: mecha! In fact, from the trailer it looks very much like it's heavily inspired by Neon Genesis Envangelion.

---

In other films, we have Tom Cruise's next, Oblivion:

And I'm very surprised that no-one has mentioned the new film from Neill Blomkamp (District 9): Elysium. It's got a decent cast, including Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley (who was in District 9), and Stargate's Michael Shanks!

Three big films, all of which look pretty original - should be a good year for SF! Out of the three, I'm most looking forward to Elysium.

Last edited:
The final film in Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg's Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were the first and second films), called The World's End, has been given a trailer and a release date:

July 19th in the UK, and August 23rd in the US.

Who's excited for Ender's Game? Just been watching trailers for it. Look's potential. Has Harrison Ford in it. Although I'm not too sure about the kid. Surprised it took them so long to get around to making a movie of Orson Scott Card's first novel.

I had to get another copy of the book so I can re-read it before the film is released. It's been a long time and my original copy is long gone.

Yes enders game.
Enders Saga got me into reading Sci fi.
Elysium also looks good. Out now but haven't seen it yet.