Trying To Remember Name Of Old TV Series

Lucien21

Can anyone help me identify this? It would've been shown in the US no later than 1981 or so, and I suppose would've firstbeen shown in Britain inthe late 1970s.

I retain an impression of having been fascinated also by this miniseries (two or three installments, I suppose) about Irish terrorists kidnapping a British politician’s or businessman’s daughter, I think. I think they perhaps send one of her fingers to prove that they have her. They probably demand ransom. At last their hiding place is tracked down and I recall one of the terrorists being shot dead while trying to get away. Possibly an element of the series was that the kidnapped young woman comes to identify with the terrorists, which would have recalled the Patty Hearst kidnapping. This is pretty vague, I know.
There was a 6 hour mini series in the mid 80's called "The Price" that had an IRA assassin kidnap the wife of a business man

Ursa, is there any chance the show was "Bliss" (hope I attach the link correctly. If not search for "Bliss + 1995 + Simon Shepard)?

Well, nevermind, I have not posted enough to be able to link to anything. Anyway, "Bliss" starred Simon Shepard as Dr. Sam Bliss and had him involved in various Doomwatch/Eleventh Hour/ReGenesis type storylines. The episode "A Far Cry" seems to fit one of your descriptions to a T.

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
That episode does seem to fit the bill regarding the accident with the car and the boy -- so Thanks! :) -- and there's a possibility that "All Fall Down" could be the one about the storage of chemicals.

Only the TV movie seems to be on IMDB. I can't find the episodes of the series on there, but only on Wikipedia.

HanaBi

Is it Safe?
Another poser for some of the more "senior" members of this august forum ;)

Back in the early 70s I recall watching some short documentaries on either BBC1 or 2 at around tea-time viewing (5pm to 6:30pm) It was a different short every day, but I don't think there were more than 6 or 7 in the entire series before being recycled the following week.

The docs lasted about 10-15 minutes, and from memory they were about the following:-
  1. Set in a leafy suburb and there's a guy in his drive doing up a classic car, with a young girl neighbour watching him work over the fence, until eventually the car is done and they both go out for a drive.
  2. another one covered speed boat racing. Can't remember all the details but I remember quite vividly a backing track from the rock band Bachman Turner Overdrive and their "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet".
  3. Another short covered Australian sheep drivers - basically a couple of guys transporting sheep in articulated lorries through the harsh Australian Outback.
There were one or two more, but I really can't remember details.

I doubt any of this will ring any bells but here's to hoping (y)

Phyrebrat

ba-Ba-ba-brat
Supporter
I hope this is okay to sneak in and ask this.

I'm trying to find the name of an 80s or late 70s chldrens TV programme on BBC1. It was much in the vein of things like The Box of Delights, and The Phoenix and the Carpet, although perhaps a bit more Enid Blyton-y.

Essentially it was (perhaps) two brothers and two sisters (or any combination of less or more than that) who either lived in, or went to stay with extended family in a posh country seat. There was a lake, and on the island in the lake was a pavilion which the family used to store old chairs and so on.

However in the room were dummies called The Ugly Wuglies. They wore old clothes and had paper bags for heads, much like old fashioned Penny-for-the-Guy.

I used to be terrified of them but I want to read or see the episodes they were in, again.

Can anyone help?

pH

Phyrebrat

ba-Ba-ba-brat
Supporter
@Phyrebrat was it the series?
I got faint memories of Ugley Wuglies myself now!
Thanks for the reminder, @dannymcg - yes it was The Enchanted Castle , @Graymalkin was right (apologies for my slackness in replying properly).

The Youtube segments have been deleted but from the stills, the ugly wuglies seem different than I remember.[edit: Just fell down a warren of Youtube Children's 'creepy' TV show intros and episodes - what is it about the 70s and 80s that lends itself so well to terrifying folk horror? Or was it just that I was a kid then? Owl Service, The Box of Delights, Children of the Stones, Picture Box (opening music) etc etc].

The photos show human actors under the masks but as I recall it, their faces were not visible, and rather were old fashioned paper bags - the sort you'd get from a bakery - with crudely drawn faces on them.

I'll find em sooner or later. There's a pinterest page but it's been hourglassing for five mins so I just closed it.

pH

HareBrain

Bunny of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
what is it about the 70s and 80s that lends itself so well to terrifying folk horror? Or was it just that I was a kid then?
Interesting question. The two series I would equate with folk horror (rather than folky but with disturbing elements) would be Children of the Stones and Quatermass, in 1976 and 1979. Plus in 1977 you had the Doctor Who adventure The Image of the Fendahl. This is about the time the hippie idea had become tarnished in the mainstream, and maybe writers were exploring the darker side of folklore rather than its more positive side.

But there have been folk-related series since, such as The Box of Delights in 1984 and Earthfasts in 1994. I'm not sure it's ever been common enough to plot a trend, except that I can't identify anything this century that's been really like that. Both of those two series were based on much earlier books.

Phyrebrat

ba-Ba-ba-brat
Supporter
Interesting question. The two series I would equate with folk horror (rather than folky but with disturbing elements) would be Children of the Stones and Quatermass, in 1976 and 1979. Plus in 1977 you had the Doctor Who adventure The Image of the Fendahl. This is about the time the hippie idea had become tarnished in the mainstream, and maybe writers were exploring the darker side of folklore rather than its more positive side.
I'm trying to be productive in my writing and now you mention this Fendahl thing, I want to go and have a look at that instead. What Quatermass are you referring to? The ones I've seen I would class more towards the SF than folk end spectrum. In fact, is that how the spectrum goes? From folk one end to SF at the other? Or perhaps folk horror to cosmic horror?

Children of the Stones might not be half as scary without the score it has.

But there have been folk-related series since, such as The Box of Delights in 1984
Yes I mentioned that one above as it holds a special place for me; Christmas 1984. I think the acid test for how scary a children's programme will be is simple: the opening credits. The Box of Delights follows that rule to the letter.

pH

HareBrain

Bunny of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
I'm trying to be productive in my writing and now you mention this Fendahl thing, I want to go and have a look at that instead.
Do, it's great. If I can't be productive, I don't see why anyone else should be.

What Quatermass are you referring to?
The TV series with John Mills. Actually, it's not folky but it is kind of hippies vs science.

I think the acid test for how scary a children's programme will be is simple: the opening credits. The Box of Delights follows that rule to the letter.
As someone who used to be terrified by the Doctor Who theme, I get you.