Cthulhu for Christmas

JasonSpaceman

Hi forum!

I have a question: I've been thinking of getting into Lovecraft and would like to get a book for xmas but which should I buy and why? These are the ones I'm looking at:

1. The b&n hardback "H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction"

2. "The Crawling Chaos and Others: The Annotated Revisions" from miskatonic books

3. The Penguin trilogy ("The Dreams in the Witch House and Other Weird Stories"; "The Thing on the Doorstep and Other Weird Stories" & "The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories")

Which one is the best to get? Any annotations/notes?

Best value: the B&N Complete Fiction (but look for the most recent, 2011, printing... there is an acknowledgment to Martin Andersson on the copyright page)

Annotated: the Penguin set

The revisions/collaborations volume (or volumes; the second is due out early next year) is a bit pricey, though very nice... and also has annotations. But it is a set of stories which were not (or not always) strictly original with HPL, nor are any of these among his more famous works.

What j.d. said. Even though some of the revisions are really good, they're not a good place to start, and anyway the set won't collect (for copyright reasons) all of the revisions.

The corrected B&N printing can be further identified by its silvered page edges and purple bookmark ribbon (if you see a copy with gilt page edges and a yellow ribbon, burn it).

The Penguins, while not being complete, offer a very nice selection of most of the best stories, with useful and interesting notes, and since they are paperbacks they are easier to handle than the B&N volume.

if you see a copy with gilt page edges and a yellow ribbon, burn it[....]

LOL. Um, unfortunately, he's right. To slightly misquote Monty Python: "I've never seen so many bleedin' typos....":rolleyes:

But the most recent printing took care of that, and is a lovely thing to behold....