1. A community of fans, aspiring writers, and published novelists, we are the world's largest - and friendliest! - science fiction and fantasy forums.

Registration is free, and we regularly give away free books and DVDs.

So why not join now and meet people with similar interests and tastes in books, movies, and TV?

Dismiss Notice

An interesting blog post on maxing your writing time.

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by J-WO, Nov 21, 2011.

J-WO

J-WO Pretentious Avatar Alert.

David B

David B New Member

Awesome leap in output. The knowledge and enthusiasm sides of her triangle seem to work well together in a short period of preparation prior to writing. I'll definitely give it a go.

I'm not sure I'll be time recording and analysing activity to the extent she adopted. Food for thought though.

Anne Lyle

Anne Lyle Fantastical historian

Cambridge, UK. Or London, c.1593 - some days it's
    Thanks for posting that, J-WO - I really need to improve my productivity if I'm going to hit Angry Robot's deadlines, and being methodical about it appeals to my left-brain :)

AnyaKimlin

AnyaKimlin Well-Known Member

writeordie can be useful to increase output - I use it and a chatroom.

Anne Lyle

Anne Lyle Fantastical historian

Cambridge, UK. Or London, c.1593 - some days it's
    The idea of losing my words would stress me out too much to write - I prefer suitable background music to put me in the mood :)

TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

An interesting post indeed! I'll be mulling this over. Also, "Write Or Die" was an interesting mention too (though I did read it as Write Ordie, as in Geordie, and was at a bit of a loss as to what that might be!)

J-WO

If you can't write fast enough you get dunked in a vat of Newcastle Brown.

Dozmonic

Dozmonic Member

Good post, covers a lot of ground I've been experimenting with. Having a dry list of what a scene is going to be about does increase the speed of writing drastically. I've managed to hit 1.5k words per hour on average writing long hand when I've done that. I type a lot faster than I write, but I get distracted by internet/games/photoshop. One of these days I'll get a laptop, install ubuntu on it so no games work. Destroy its network card so I can't go online and lock myself in a dark room with just some pringles, a cup of tea and an idea. Then I'll hit 10,000 words per HOUR!!!!! (Well, maybe 2k)

AnyaKimlin

LOL I so get that. I do both (my characters are based on singers so they sing to me as I work) - it's my fear of losing it that makes it work so well. Writing for twenty minutes solo I write about 2-300 words. In the chatroom without writeordie I get about 600 - chatroom challenges and writeordie together I get 800-1100 words in the same timeframe and I find the quality isn't much different, it is draft dependant rather time.

J-WO

I gotta say, I'm such a slow writer compared to you guys. I mean it. Its the one thing about my writing that really annoys me. Needless to say, I enjoyed the article a great deal.

AnyaKimlin

Every writer approaches it differently - I tend to pay for speed by spending longer editing, so it probably balances out. I know writers with work published that write a 100 words in the 20 minutes and others that are reliable at throwing out 900+

thaddeus6th

thaddeus6th Well-Known Member

Very interesting article, which I'm going to steal for my next blogpost :p

I'm a middling-speed writer, I'd guess. Maybe 1,500 words a day, at the most. When I write something new I'll try re-reading that article to see if it helps.