Improving our 300 Word Stories -- READ FIRST POST!

so, here's mine. explanation at the end. :)

The Rover

Suit’s leaking, air hissing. Visor, cracked. Burnt and black. A streak of clear glass, red sands stream past dark, boiling clouds. Lightning flashes, burning.

Don’t look back.

Fire and pain. My leg, maimed. Each step, a knife. Burning ice. Walk into the clouds. Walk into the darkness.

Don’t look back because… Can’t remember.

Lightning flashes, thunder booms; in the dark, buildings loom and blood red sand swirls around. Old Symonds waves. I am saved. Blood red sand swirls. Around cold ruins.

Don’t look back… Why not?

Back, a streak of flame. Back, an inferno. Back… They’re burning.

Back. Oh… God.

Green wall of fire, ten metres high. Plastic walls melting, screams from inside. Siera. The kids. My fault.

Air escaping, I can see the tear. Numb, cold, how much air? Now my legs won’t move. They feel dead but I must go on; salvation’s ahead.

Somebody help, please.

More shapes. I know this place; Crate-town, the colony base. “Medic Station”, the blue sign blinks. Another step, a stumble, I sink. The sign’s gone. I’m too cold, no strength in my legs. Need to rest my head.

A dome, glass. Clean and white. I don’t recognise this. It doesn’t belong. It isn’t right. Inside, strange, cold, harsh light.

And people. Strange clothes, faces I’ve never seen. They run from me, they scream. But one. Dark hair. Dark eyes. White gown.

She stands. Reaches. Takes my hand.

My hand.

It’s… burnt? Through cracked and jagged visor, my glove, gone. My fingers black. Burnt. Bone. My leg; charred flesh, wisps of flame, blood spatters. My oxy-suit… Tatters.

I cough. Smoke fills my helmet.

So cold.

She smiles.

It’s okay. You can go.

I feel light. I feel warm. I… feel. My family waits. I see them.

OK so the font i used didn't paste over, but never mind.

as i mentioned in the discussion thread, this is an idea i have had in my head for a while, about a colonist on a desolate planet wandering around his long-ruined colony and then discovering other people there who shouldn't be. and the people from this new colony trying to accept the man from a colony that has been ruins for hundreds of years. the twist being that he may be a ghost. of course, i had to tweak this to get it into 300 words but i still wanted him to be a ghost wandering around old ruins that in his head shouldn't be ruins. i think this got lost in the edit. the white dome is the new colony, obviously scared by the ghost, except for one. this also had more explanation before i cut it down. the choppy rythm to his thoughts was intentional to indicate his fractious and disconnected mind

in the original edit he also murdered his family and was looking for redemption. this got a bit murky after the edit.

i think some people interpreted it as a dying man accepting death, which upon re-reading, i can see.

i think some people interpreted it as a dying man accepting death, which upon re-reading, i can see.

That's certainly what I thought, though I thought the jerky prose reflected the shortening and ending of his life - like jagged heartbeats becoming more fractious. I didn't get the ghost thang, I'm afraid, but as you say, sometimes these things get diluted to the point of invisibility when editing down to the requisite word count.

Still, nicely written and it made my top 10! :)

DGJ has summed up what I thought, and I too missed the ghost aspect -- I thought the people ran because he looked so horrific, and the woman in the white gown was an angel. I was confused by his not recognising the white dome and the strange clothes, and why the angel would have to stand, and that confusion meant it just missed out on a vote from me. But I also enjoyed the staccato writing, echoing his disordered -- and, I thought, dying -- mind, and you would have been on my short list, if I'd done one.

thanks guys, the ghost angle was much more obvious in the first draft (the colony was definitely in ruins, his suit and injuries were obviously fatal and the dome was obviously a new colony) but it all got edited out. i still thought it was kind of obvious, but then it was already in my head, and after Victoria's review i went back and re-read it and thought "oh right... it's like he's dying, and she's an angel." when i realised that, i knew the ending would be confusing!

glad to hear that the style worked, albeit to a different purpose than i had intended!

style worked for me (I'd've dropped that first 'my,' it breaks the thought pattern imo), I picked up the murder bit, I think the reason that it's harder to pickup that he's dead is that it's from his perspective. If he knew he was dead he would have moved on, but he was stuck in a pattern of struggling for safety. When he realizes his hands are burnt bones, it kinda clued me that he'd probably been dead. I thought the white dome was some kind of coffin and people were running because he was undead or something.

thanks @hopewrites. the burnt bones, tattered suit and smoking breath were meant to be the clues that finally made it clear he was dead. glad one of the clues worked, kind of... the dome was better explained before the chop, and the people were running from him as he was a ghost.

this was one of those annoying months when i spent a long time whittling the story down whilst trying to retain the meaning, posted it and after the first comment realised it hadn't quite worked. i then spent the rest of the month analysing it and coming up with ways i could have made it clearer.

I saw it that way as well, the dying man discovering that he's dead and accepting it, and missed the ghost part that may not have actually made it in. :p I think it may not have made my actual shortlist, but I meant to have it there -- sorry. I remember liking it originally, and then I think I skimmed it when I made the list and forgot what it really was. :oops:

Thought I'd resurrect (or perhaps reawaken is more appropriate - it's not dead yet) this thread to see if I could get some feedback as to how my most recent 300 worder might have been improved. It got three votes, and a handful of mentions, so I'm not really complaining, but I was exceedingly pleased with this effort and thought I'd hit on something really good.

Plus, The Judge said some extremely kind things about it; words to the effect that it was one of the best she'd ever read, which makes me think I wasn't being entirely deluded in my own appraisal of the piece. Anyway, thoughts all welcome :)

~

Crying For The Moon

I reel in another carp and toss it onto the deck of my rickety rowboat. It lands with a splat next to the mountainous coil of fishing line I’ve sewn together from the carp skins. Remarkably tough, carp skin. You can cut and dry and stretch it like leather, and it’ll do a very good job. The huge line now coils at least fourteen feet high, teetering aft of my little boat, so heavy the gunwale kisses the lake’s surface, sending ripples out to the reeds gently glistening in the starlight.

It won’t be long, now, Celena.

The stars catch my gaze, and a lump prods at my throat. Celena and I used to make love in the heavens, but our families pronounced our love illegitimate, impure. As punishment, they banished me to this watery stone in human form, and imprisoned Celena in the form of a beautiful, dead rock that shines each night.

They have a branch of knowledge on this world called “science”. These scientists claim that, should Celena fall from the sky and collide with us, it’d be catastrophic.

I hold no truck with science.

This distant dance of eternity we do each night kills me. My old bones ache without her warmth held tight against me. I prepare the final carp skin and sew it to the end of the mountainous line, attach a silver hook, and cast it far up into the heavens.

The line uncoils, faster and faster, until somewhere in the darkness I feel it hook something. My heart soars and tears of hopeful joy well inside.

I reel it in, my human hands burning with the effort. Come back to me, Celena. We’ll dance like we used to, my love, and never be parted again.

I loved it, and I'm gobsmacked it didn't receive more votes. The beginning could perhaps be trimmed a little, but I enjoyed the practical aspects, which slowly morphed into the fabulous.

It's a cool concept. I like the opening. My issue with it was the third paragraph. It gets explainy. Not that information is bad, but it breaks up the poetry of the introduction. Almost like there are too many ideas crammed in and it breaks your rhythm. Maybe leave it more vague. "Our love in the heavens was deemed impure and we have been banished."

I guess it was just the inconsistent tone that struck me, not the strength of concept.

How to improve???

The only thing I could think to improve on is the seeming inconsistency between wanting to have his love back in his arms and calling her a dead rock. The words you used in explanation about the carp-skin could be used to heighten the tension of his anticipated reunion.

Unless he's just grabbing her corpse out of the sky to suicide it into himself, and that's their reunion. In which case the slow deliberate prose is perfect as is.

Clearly imagined world, well executed plot... I can all but smell the rope and water, definitely hear the waves lapping at his craft throughout though you never mentioned them at all... so it was hard to find anything that could be improved on. :)

I enjoyed this one too but somehow it didn't quite click for me. Perhaps I was a little weirded out by the whole carp skin thing to 'get' it. I'd echo Cory and Jo's comments about it taking a little too long to get going. The writing is certainly evocative - hopewrites' remark about the smell of the rope is accurate - the imagery is very effective.

On a whim - and I hope you'll forgive my impertinence - I've created a rejigged version below. I've not re-written anything, just moved the paragraphs around in an attempt to create a bit more intrigue and impact. It's seems a bit self-aggrandising, but I have to confess I prefer the hanging tension of the new last line.

It won’t be long, now, Celena.

They have a branch of knowledge on this world called “science”. These scientists claim that, should Celena fall from the sky and collide with us, it’d be catastrophic.

I hold no truck with science.

I reel in another carp and toss it onto the deck of my rickety rowboat. It lands with a splat next to the mountainous coil of fishing line I’ve sewn together from the carp skins. Remarkably tough, carp skin. You can cut and dry and stretch it like leather, and it’ll do a very good job. The huge line now coils at least fourteen feet high, teetering aft of my little boat, so heavy the gunwale kisses the lake’s surface, sending ripples out to the reeds gently glistening in the starlight.

The stars catch my gaze, and a lump prods at my throat. Celena and I used to make love in the heavens, but our families pronounced our love illegitimate, impure. They banished me to this watery stone in human form, and imprisoned Celena in the form of the beautiful rock that shines each night.

This distant dance of eternity we do each night kills me. My old bones ache without her warmth held tight against me. I prepare the final carp skin and sew it to the end of the mountainous line, attach a silver hook, and cast it far up into the heavens.

The line uncoils, faster and faster.

Come back to me, Celena. We’ll dance like we used to, my love, and never be parted again.

Somewhere in the darkness I feel it hook something.

Oops, missed this, Dan, sorry.

I liked it as you can tell from my shortlisting, but the carp skin bothered me. Now you know I'm presold to anything fish-y (especially cyprinidae) but the idea of making line or rope with it was just enough of a leap for me to miss the 3. It is incredibly evocative, well written and beautifully bittersweet (which as we all know we can never have enough of in my book...), otherwise and I would not ponder on it too long: sometimes really good entries don't get the exact props I think they deserve (especially MY ones :D) and this may be an example of that. I did imagine you as one of the winners this month though, so I would echo TJ's surprise.

pH

I would greatly appreciate some feedback on my entry in the last 300 word challenge. I did receive quite a few votes and mentions, but I am a firm believer that there is always room for improvement.

The Silver Sunset

He woke up with a groan, as his back and hip were screaming. He desperately needed a new mattress; no man in his 30th year should feel this way every morning. Some stretching made his body feel tolerable as he walked, arched over, into his living room.

“What the…” he exclaimed, surveying the alien décor. Someone, somehow, must have redecorated the living room while he slept. “I’ll ask Richard if he was behind this. Always trying to fix what ain’t broken. Maybe he will bring the grandkids over today. I haven’t seen them since…”

Something furry rubbed his leg. He started, spilling a bag of cat food. The overweight orange mass helped himself. “How did you get in here? Must have been that daughter of mine. Always worried about me since Pricilla…” He bent down to scratch between the cat’s ears. “Well, you just help yourself.”

Mom must have gone shopping, so he decided to walk through the woods over to Charlie Messick’s house. It was sunny, so he took his favorite red coat from the closet. As seniors, they needed to start applying to colleges before deadlines hit.

An unfamiliar, frantic voice called from behind. “Dad! There you are!” She pulled something out of her pocket. “It’s OK Richard, I found him in the woods. He must have wandered out.” The strange woman put her arm around him. “It’s OK, Dad. I got you. Let’s get you back inside.” An angry young man was in the living room. “This is why he needs to be in a home!” he shouted. The woman, on the verge of tears, said, “We just need to be patient and make things more secure. I work with other Alzheimer’s patients, and he is better off at home.”

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

As I mentioned on the other thread, for me this didn't meet the genre, which meant I mentally removed it from consideration. Some members won't care, but if you want to maximise your chances of getting votes, it's always best to stay within the genre's broader outlines so that pernickity people like me don't dismiss it out of hand. And since you prefer things to be difficult, it's clearly harder to make a story like this fit into the SFF genre than not, so you missed an opportunity to stretch yourself!

I recall someone posted a 300 worder a while ago which hinted at the character having dementia, but, if I'm remembering it correctly, there was a possibility that actually he was completely sane and the care home really had been taken over by aliens. Here, for instance, if you had toyed with the issue of time travel, and left it open-ended as to whether he was suffering or not, that for me might have done enough to bring it inside the SFF genre. Of course, that wouldn't have allowed for the revelation ending which you presumably wanted, so you'd have to decide which is more important to you. Though to be honest, for me it was obvious where the story was going from the start, so there was no sense of surprise when I reached the final paragraph. To my mind, if you want to write surprise or twist endings you need to be better at disguising where you're going, so you lead the reader in completely the wrong direction, and then the end has to be short and sharp. Blowing my own trumpet, if you like those kind of stories you might be interested in this one of mine. (Sorry about the dreadful small font -- when it was posted it was much larger.)

Another problem is that for me -- and this is very much a personal reaction -- it actually read as somewhat superficial and even trite. My father suffered from dementia and we cared for him in his own home for some years until we could no longer cope -- and yes, he wandered, too -- and my mother-in-law is currently suffering, so I've seen close up how it affects them. Though the temporal confusion is real with the victim caught in both the present and the past and unable to reconcile the two, and you hint at the evasions and lies they tell themselves, to my mind there's none of the desperation and fear and confusion that I saw. Had you shown some of that agony, that to my mind would have made it immeasurably deeper and more touching. As it was, this fell between two stools for me, neither showing the possibility of ambiguity and laughter as the alien-dementia story did, nor a real exploration of what the dreadful disease actually costs the victim. Sorry. Personal reaction, as I say, and doubtless I'm alone on that point.

Anyhow, plot-wise I had most problems with your final paragraph. Even if I hadn't cottoned on earlier, you give the whole game away with "Dad!" and you've still got close on 100 words left, and all of that is basically long-winded filler, explaining everything in words of one syllable, as if you're worried your readers won't understand. There's no need to talk down to your readers -- assume they're intelligent enough to get hints without laying it on with a trowel. Though having said that, you can't under-explain either, as otherwise people will get confused! It's a narrow line to tread, I'm afraid. For me you'd have been better off by leaving out "Dad" and the phone call, and having the strange woman guide him home while he wonders who she is, so keeping the ambiguity going longer until the very last lines.

As a technical point, you need to break that final para into at least three separate ones so Richard's shout isn't embedded in the daughter's dialogue. I think I see why you've done it -- in his confusion it's all jumbled together -- but when using non-standard devices of that kind it's important for them to work on their own terms, and for me it doesn't work since there's not enough of the father in that para for it to be clear it is his confusion. The first 4 paras are all him with plenty of internal thoughts, and suddenly they're gone, so we're at a distance, which for me vitiates all that you've tried to do earlier. Where's his worries that some stranger is dragging him home? What's his mother going to say? Why isn't he asking questions?

The whole lack of engagement is to my mind worsened by the talk between the couple, which rather comes over like badly-scripted Public Information Film. Endings are as important as beginnings, but even if you don't want a shock-twist ending, I'd argue that you still need something snappier than this long drawn out whimper. I'd certainly remove the argument as it stands, since that adds very little, and perhaps have made it more chilling by having the car from the care home arriving to take him away which Richard has arranged despite her tears.

Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic about it. Patently it touched a chord with a lot of people, and as I've said before when that happens, they forgive what might be perceived as mistakes more readily. However, to my mind you wouldn't have lost any votes by getting a better, snappier ending, and you might have converted some of your short-listings into votes.

In any event, well done with it, and good luck with the next 300 Worder!

As I mentioned on the other thread, for me this didn't meet the genre, which meant I mentally removed it from consideration. Some members won't care, but if you want to maximise your chances of getting votes, it's always best to stay within the genre's broader outlines so that pernickity people like me don't dismiss it out of hand. And since you prefer things to be difficult, it's clearly harder to make a story like this fit into the SFF genre than not, so you missed an opportunity to stretch yourself!

I recall someone posted a 300 worder a while ago which hinted at the character having dementia, but, if I'm remembering it correctly, there was a possibility that actually he was completely sane and the care home really had been taken over by aliens. Here, for instance, if you had toyed with the issue of time travel, and left it open-ended as to whether he was suffering or not, that for me might have done enough to bring it inside the SFF genre. Of course, that wouldn't have allowed for the revelation ending which you presumably wanted, so you'd have to decide which is more important to you. Though to be honest, for me it was obvious where the story was going from the start, so there was no sense of surprise when I reached the final paragraph. To my mind, if you want to write surprise or twist endings you need to be better at disguising where you're going, so you lead the reader in completely the wrong direction, and then the end has to be short and sharp. Blowing my own trumpet, if you like those kind of stories you might be interested in this one of mine. (Sorry about the dreadful small font -- when it was posted it was much larger.)

Another problem is that for me -- and this is very much a personal reaction -- it actually read as somewhat superficial and even trite. My father suffered from dementia and we cared for him in his own home for some years until we could no longer cope -- and yes, he wandered, too -- and my mother-in-law is currently suffering, so I've seen close up how it affects them. Though the temporal confusion is real with the victim caught in both the present and the past and unable to reconcile the two, and you hint at the evasions and lies they tell themselves, to my mind there's none of the desperation and fear and confusion that I saw. Had you shown some of that agony, that to my mind would have made it immeasurably deeper and more touching. As it was, this fell between two stools for me, neither showing the possibility of ambiguity and laughter as the alien-dementia story did, nor a real exploration of what the dreadful disease actually costs the victim. Sorry. Personal reaction, as I say, and doubtless I'm alone on that point.

Anyhow, plot-wise I had most problems with your final paragraph. Even if I hadn't cottoned on earlier, you give the whole game away with "Dad!" and you've still got close on 100 words left, and all of that is basically long-winded filler, explaining everything in words of one syllable, as if you're worried your readers won't understand. There's no need to talk down to your readers -- assume they're intelligent enough to get hints without laying it on with a trowel. Though having said that, you can't under-explain either, as otherwise people will get confused! It's a narrow line to tread, I'm afraid. For me you'd have been better off by leaving out "Dad" and the phone call, and having the strange woman guide him home while he wonders who she is, so keeping the ambiguity going longer until the very last lines.

As a technical point, you need to break that final para into at least three separate ones so Richard's shout isn't embedded in the daughter's dialogue. I think I see why you've done it -- in his confusion it's all jumbled together -- but when using non-standard devices of that kind it's important for them to work on their own terms, and for me it doesn't work since there's not enough of the father in that para for it to be clear it is his confusion. The first 4 paras are all him with plenty of internal thoughts, and suddenly they're gone, so we're at a distance, which for me vitiates all that you've tried to do earlier. Where's his worries that some stranger is dragging him home? What's his mother going to say? Why isn't he asking questions?

The whole lack of engagement is to my mind worsened by the talk between the couple, which rather comes over like badly-scripted Public Information Film. Endings are as important as beginnings, but even if you don't want a shock-twist ending, I'd argue that you still need something snappier than this long drawn out whimper. I'd certainly remove the argument as it stands, since that adds very little, and perhaps have made it more chilling by having the car from the care home arriving to take him away which Richard has arranged despite her tears.

Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic about it. Patently it touched a chord with a lot of people, and as I've said before when that happens, they forgive what might be perceived as mistakes more readily. However, to my mind you wouldn't have lost any votes by getting a better, snappier ending, and you might have converted some of your short-listings into votes.

In any event, well done with it, and good luck with the next 300 Worder!
Thanks, as always, for your honest critique, and I am genuinely sorry that you have been personally touched by Alzheimer's. In our case, we moved my wife's grandmother down to our area when she was relatively advanced. In her case, she did not recognize individuals by sight, but still remembered relationships (my perceived identity changed three times in the first hour I spent with her, there were times she thought my wife was my mother in law/her daughter, etc.). Additionally, she had progressed past the confusion and fear, no longer conscious of the fact that anything was wrong. You are absolutely correct that there is a stage with significant emotional responses, but my protagonist, as I saw it, had progressed past that point.

You may also be entirely right that I make it too clear at the end and it was clear from the start, but I cannot help but wonder if this may be a result of your personal experiences with the condition. It may be that I have not read adequately on the subject, but most of the literature I have encountered which fictionalized Alzheimer's dealt with recognition issues (because these are more emotionally concerting to the family) rather than temporal displacement, self rationalizations, and the like. I suspect some other reviewers will be able to shed some light on this topic, and I do think there is a more than a fair chance you are right, but assessing other possibilities is important to me.

Other than that, I think your critique is pretty accurate. I never really liked the ending, but I had to get it posted before we left on a cruise and missed the deadline, so I had to stick with it. In retrospect, I think the ending I would have gone with would have been to have him resist her for a moment, then have another time shift where he reassigns her identity, further demonstrating how advanced he is. The only problem I see with the car ending you suggested is, depending on local laws, it may not be a realistic ending. I cannot speak for your side of the pond, but in the States, the daughter, as a medical professional, would likely be granted medical power of attorney, meaning a care facility could not be engaged without her express consent. Hence the argument, rather than direct action. I hadn't considered that there may be different laws regarding this in the nations represented on this forum, which is a glaring omission in retrospect.

Also, really interesting that you interpreted them as a couple, rather than siblings. I intended the latter, but I can certainly see how your interpretation could have come across.

Thanks again for the review. As always, it was extremely helpful.

There's certainly no need to think it an omission or error not to have considered there are different laws regarding patients -- we write stories from our own perspectives. But, of course, that doesn't render the care home car impossible, since you could have made the son (and I see now why he is the son, not son-in-law) the medical professional, so he could have organised the home without the daughter's consent.

While I was thinking about that, though, it occurred to me there's a better ending, which not only would have made the story much more chilling and moving, but also dealt with my concerns about genre and giving the twist away. What if the car isn't taking him to a care home, but to a killing facility -- the law requires forcible euthanasia as he's hit a certain level of dementia. That automatically makes it SF/dystopian future, so is definitely speculative, plus adds a layer of pathos if he's at all slightly aware, gives a chance for grieving relatives, and gives a different surprise/twist at the very end. It might have taken a bit of time to get that down properly inside the 100 words left to you, but not impossible. Though getting the story done at all, no matter my cavils about the ending, was impressive enough if you were going on a cruise. (Hope it was a good holiday!)

By the way, when I make suggestions I never intend to imply that's the only way of proceeding, but I know when others have given me similar ideas for stories they've helped me, if only because I've then been able to riff off them to come up with something of my own. So my ideas are just stepping stones to help you find your way across the writing pool!

There's certainly no need to think it an omission or error not to have considered there are different laws regarding patients -- we write stories from our own perspectives. But, of course, that doesn't render the care home car impossible, since you could have made the son (and I see now why he is the son, not son-in-law) the medical professional, so he could have organised the home without the daughter's consent.

While I was thinking about that, though, it occurred to me there's a better ending, which not only would have made the story much more chilling and moving, but also dealt with my concerns about genre and giving the twist away. What if the car isn't taking him to a care home, but to a killing facility -- the law requires forcible euthanasia as he's hit a certain level of dementia. That automatically makes it SF/dystopian future, so is definitely speculative, plus adds a layer of pathos if he's at all slightly aware, gives a chance for grieving relatives, and gives a different surprise/twist at the very end. It might have taken a bit of time to get that down properly inside the 100 words left to you, but not impossible. Though getting the story done at all, no matter my cavils about the ending, was impressive enough if you were going on a cruise. (Hope it was a good holiday!)

By the way, when I make suggestions I never intend to imply that's the only way of proceeding, but I know when others have given me similar ideas for stories they've helped me, if only because I've then been able to riff off them to come up with something of my own. So my ideas are just stepping stones to help you find your way across the writing pool!
That is an incredible idea for an ending... and certainly possible in 100 words. It seems that it would add "a layer of pathos" whether he is aware or not. You hit it right on the nail if he were aware, but there seems to be something of a "lamb before the slaughter" feel if he doesn't know. Either way, I love it. Excellent idea.

I see my not considering different laws an omission, though, precisely because I seek to be able to write from a plethora of perspectives, rather than merely my own. That, and I have the utterly unrealistic expectation of rivaling Tolkien in world building, and that tends to carry over into everything I write. For example, in this story, I created a rudimentary map of his house (2 bedroom, one bath cottage style house with a small outbuilding for storage), a visualization of the furniture (a dark floral pattern, somewhat older and ugly, so the "alien decor" comment was a bit of an inside joke as well), full character profiles of the protagonist, Richard, Pricilla, the daughter, and the cat, half a character profile for Charlie Messick, and the fact that the protagonist is actually non-verbal (is anyone ever present during his dialogue?). So, when I have put that much into it, missing a key detail that could well influence the plot is not something I take lightly.

In any event, I never saw any implication that your suggestion was the only way; I saw an otherwise viable suggestion for the ending that I had considered at one point, but didn't seem realistic based on my characters. But your euthanasia suggestion works on so many levels, I think I am going to rewrite the ending based on that idea.

And, thank you for the well wishes. Other than the shadow over the trip (my wife's stepmother has inoperable cancer; it's been a rough year for her) and my 2 year old being bitten by a parrot, we had a great time in the Caribbean!

For my reference, are we allowed to post revisions here, or is it strictly for stories as they are posted?