Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Apologies if someone has already posted about this.

I was browsing through the Big Waterstones in Piccadilly and came across this series. The blurb on the back compares it to the Flashman series (which i've wanted to read for some time, but haven't got round to getting). They look pretty interesting. Has anyone ready them? What are your impressions, are they worth getting?

I've read all three and found them to be very entertaining and laugh-out-loud funny.

I only wish there were more of them in the series.

Last edited:
Cool, i think i'll be picking them up on my next haul. Are there plans for any more?

Im reading this novel at the moment..

Hard time focusing on this novel.... im taking too many breaks to laugh at the humor! Long time since a novel made me laugh out aloud this much.

Im reading this novel at the moment..

Hard time focusing on this novel.... im taking too many breaks to laugh at the humor! Long time since a novel made me laugh out aloud this much.

Thanks Connavar, consider them sold. :)

Thank you for reminding me i had bought the book months ago, it was perfect timing i needed something fun to get back my energy to read on my own time again :)

Fellow members of Chrons has mentioned this book many times in SF threads, monthly reading threads that i always thought about reading this.

It makes want to get the rest of the series, every other humor SF adventure i havent read. Steel Rat book 2, Bill the Galactic hero and any other i can find!

Read Space Captain Smith over Christmas - some parts of it were very laugh out loud - I can't remember the last time I did that with a book.

Found the parodies of other sci-fi a distraction, as his own world comedy works best IMO, but I think we'd see more of that in the later books, so I'll be keeping an eye out for them. :)

OK, so i finally got around to getting these. Starting Space Captain Smith now and very much looking forward to it.

Thanks Brian and Connavar! I'm glad it's proved entertaining. I think the second is better than the first, but I may be biased as it's all about tea. I hope you enjoy it, Rodders.

Mr. Frost, biased or not, I think you're right. The second's probably the best of the three, but I'm hoping the fourth (when it emerges) will be even better :)

I second that, the British Empire just cannot be held to ransom by people with six legs. It is about time they were put back in their place. How about something involving Cricket and cream teas?

Yeah, i'm 45 pages in and loving it. The patio bit was quite funny, but when i read the bit about what Carveth wanted to do to Asimov i got a few odd looks on the bus.

I just picked this book up yesterday, and I already love it. This is the first book I've read in a long while that's made me laugh so much. I can't wait to read the next two.:)

I've just finished this one and i have to say that i'm very impressed. I keep getting strange looks on the bus because i'm trying to supress a giggle or two. Thoroughly enjoyable and a highly recommended bit of fun.

Thanks Brian and Connavar! I'm glad it's proved entertaining. I think the second is better than the first, but I may be biased as it's all about tea. I hope you enjoy it, Rodders.

No thank you for writing entertaining,funny space adventure. I have wanted to read space adventure that didnt bore me with info dumbs, huge world building like when i happen to read other space books.

I cant wait to read book 2-3.

I'm with the previous posters - loved the first one, and looking forward to the reading the rest...

Keep it up, Toby: your country needs you!