Murray Leinster

J-Sun

Interesting story doing double duty describing an event and what the event described: Not First Contact: At NYRSF Readings, a Tribute to Murray Leinster. In addition to the novels and stories mentioned (most of the stories being collected in The Best of Murray Leinster (US, not the UK version) and elsewhere, ) I'd at least add the Med Ship series and, especially, the stuff published as Colonial Survey aka The Planet Explorer.

He was the original dean of science fiction. A couple of years back there was even established a Will F. Jenkins Day which goes further into his varied accomplishments.

WAR WITH THE GIZMOS was a fun adventure. I've read "First Contact" several times over the years whenever it's popped up in anthologies. I doubt I'll read it next time.

I almost started a thread of my own on him, but I'll revive this one.
"A Logic Named Joe", written at the end of WWII, predicted the Internet. I have always wished I had a time telephone so I could call him and tell him "Congratulations - you're the only one who got it right! (though if there were a time telephone a few others would have gotten it right)".
"Sidewise In Time" created the science fiction trope of Alternate Histories as a physical place you could, in principle, travel to.
"First Contact" was the trope namer.

The Forgotten Planet is a pretty good . :cool: