1. A community of fans, aspiring writers, and published novelists, we are the world's largest - and friendliest! - science fiction and fantasy forums.

Registration is free, and we regularly give away free books and DVDs.

So why not join now and meet people with similar interests and tastes in books, movies, and TV?

Dismiss Notice

a 75 word sequence of events

Discussion in 'Writing Challenges' started by Aun Doorback, Oct 31, 2011.

Aun Doorback

Aun Doorback Your place is magic

Mar 11, 2011
    In a parallel existence Aun works as an Asset mana
    Hi All,

Looking back at some of my previous entries I realised that I wasn't actually delivering what the challenge has been asking i.e

It is expected that your story will have a plot, and not merely consist of descriptive prose

Now I'm all for freedom to express our creative flow, but I thought I would just ask the general question of what works for you? Is it the power of the words? The neat twist in the tale? The exploding elephants? Or even a plot!

There is a real skill to this 75 word challenge and I take my hat off to the winners.
    The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Nov 10, 2008
    nearly the New Forest
    For me, yes, some kind of narrative/plot is important. I wouldn't wholly dismiss a piece which was wholly reflective, but it would have an uphill battle to win my vote. A piece which was simply description would fall at the first hurdle, no matter how well written.

I like good endings, and good beginnings, come to that! I prefer thought to have gone into word choice, and stories which have grammatical and spelling mistakes get marked down. But very often it comes down to whether a story grabs me or not.

HareBrain Lagomorphing Staff Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Poshville, West Sussex
    I'll mark down an entry that doesn't have a satisfying plot, but it can still win my vote if it stands out in other ways. I have admired several entries that were more descriptions of character or situation than what I would call proper stories. But, though such entries often show great ideas and imagination, for me there's much more of a challenge involved in trying to craft a story with a beginning, middle and (twisty) end, all in only 75 words, and that's what will usually get my vote.

AnyaKimlin Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    For me it is pure and simple - which gripped me, amused me, made me cry, go oh my gosh etc

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

Aug 9, 2011
    In my few entries so far I do try and have middle, beginning and end - however I try to create something that I hope spins off into something larger for the reader and imagine more, with the 75 words as a seed - self-contained but ready to germinate into something more. I try to do the same with my 3D art when I get a chance to be artistic and not making stuff for some commercial reason, to tell a story but one that invites extension from the viewer for them to add more background, or to picture what comes before or what follows on after.

I still hold that any book has 2 authors, the writer and the reader, and they manufacture the final book together :)

Anyway for 75 word challenges I hope to achieve a true self-contained story that still paints a bigger picture.