4.04: Aithusa

Adasunshine

Everything in Moderation
The mysterious Julius Borden arrives in Camelot with news of a magical secret that threatens to change the landscape of the kingdom forever. He has located the final part of the key to the tomb of Ashkanar, an ancient mausoleum which holds a very special treasure: the last remaining dragon's egg. Merlin is understandably drawn in by Borden's news, and promises to help him. But just who is the enigmatic stranger and, more importantly, what does he really want with the egg?

Awww a widdle baby dragon and the white dragon no less!

Actually really enjoyed this episode, Merlin being the butt of everyone's jokes is a little grating and I would really like for Arthur to see sense about magic and not just follow on blindly in his father's footsteps as he seems to be doing at the moment.

Nice bit of filler though and I got to see not only a fully formed magical and wondrous dragon but a cutesy little baby one too!

Consider me a happy (albeit easily pleased) viewer!

xx

I enjoyed it too, but agree with you about Merlin being the butt of the jokes. It's coming across as a bit bullying too, rather than playfulness.

Was there any reason for the name Merlin chose? Have we heard that name before?

Also that cave looked hugely familiar.

Well, also that castle staircase that they use most weeks and took us to the dungeons today, and that wooden vale the knights were in in the first episode this season. But that is TV, it isn't a book left to your imagination, you need a shoot in a location.

Yet another mysterious magician and acquaintance of Gaius, arrives in Camelot, only to get killed off. Can't be many left now?

The tomb of Ashkanar - that ancient Peruvian magician! I half expected some dedication at the end to Spielberg and Lucas as Merlin braved the mausoleum filled with booby traps to retrieve the egg perched on a pillar that once removed caused the whole building to collapse.

The slapstick IS wearing thin, and if it is comedy they want they could learn some lessons from Krod Mandoon And The Flaming Sword Of Fire, but on the whole I like the absence of Uther and the way the series is going.

There did seem to be a lot of warmongering going on between Arthur and his aides though. The trailer only added to that appearance.

Merlin ought to have more confidence in the precognition of the Dragon. If he thought it was a good idea for Merlin to get the egg then he must have seen his future success. And if the Druids also had no problem, why doesn't Merlin tell Gaius he really does know better that his old mentor?

I'm afraid I didn't like this one. Happy enough about the dragon and all, but there seemed to be a lot of regression around Merlin's role which I thought was weak. Either he's someone Arthur could imagine being friends with, or a servant, not both.
Also, what about the plot holes? Merlin's doing odd things with keys and wood worm, then the vaults get broken into and no one wonders?
Sorry, thought it, in essence a bit rushed.
The dragon was cute, though, can we buy one of those:D

Well, also that castle staircase that they use most weeks and took us to the dungeons today, and that wooden vale the knights were in in the first episode this season. But that is TV, it isn't a book left to your imagination, you need a shoot in a location.

Oh no, I didn't mean that. I fancy I've seen it in another TV show, or read about it or something. I've seen it somewhere other than Merlin.

Mouse said:
I enjoyed it too, but agree with you about Merlin being the butt of the jokes. It's coming across as a bit bullying too, rather than playfulness.

I didn't see it as bullying as such, I grew up with brothers and I see it more as a case of showing off in front of your friends and not knowing when you've gone too far (I am the eldest and therefore "big" sister but it never stopped them winding me up to the point of fisticuffs). Merlin's knowledge of his destiny is the thing which stops him speaking out although to be fair, he's showing an inordinate amount of patience, I'd have turned them all into frogs or something by now!

Dave said:
Merlin ought to have more confidence in the precognition of the Dragon. If he thought it was a good idea for Merlin to get the egg then he must have seen his future success. And if the Druids also had no problem, why doesn't Merlin tell Gaius he really does know better that his old mentor?

I missed a few episodes in one of the seasons, can't remember which but does Gaius even know about Merlin's relationship with the dragon or the Druids? If so then yes, agreed, Merlin should just tell his old mentor to keep his nose out. If the whole Dragonlord thing is a secret then I suppose it would be a bit hard for Merlin to explain where his sudden knowledge came from although saying that, he does have a lot of "sudden knowledge" thrust upon him in almost every episode so it wouldn't have been anything out of the ordinary.

...but there seemed to be a lot of regression around Merlin's role which I thought was weak. Either he's someone Arthur could imagine being friends with, or a servant, not both.

Agreed, it did and has felt like Merlin's role has gone a little backwards this season which makes absolutely no sense as we can see that his powers are obviously growing, he even shocked himself a little when he made Julius fly through the air in the tomb/temple thingy. As to his relationship with King Arthur, I also feel this has gone a little backwards, he seated Merlin at his round table and follows his advice when it's pivotal to the plot but then for the rest of the time, treats him like a dim-witted child... very inconsistent.

Also, what about the plot holes? Merlin's doing odd things with keys and wood worm, then the vaults get broken into and no one wonders?

I don't think Arthur would ever suspect Merlin of anything, it's his one saving grace I suppose, Arthur just doesn't seem to think Merlin capable of anything intelligent or underhanded which is ironic really.

The dragon was cute, though, can we buy one of those:D

I believe Hagrid knows a few people that can point you in the right direction! :D

xx

Excuse the double post.

I have searched high and low on this name and can find nothing. The Red and White Dragons of lore don't seem to have had a name so I'm plumping for the BBC making this one up! It's not Latin either, would like to know the inspiration behind the name.

Pretty though...

If anyone does come across it, please let me know, my interest is officially peaked (I like names)!

xx

Isn't there usually a family of dentally challenged hamsters down there.

OK.

So here we are again. Back to the "Keystone Cops" and "The Three Stooges" (not to mention "Monty and the Black Knight". Especially when they left the horses behind.) In fact I'm pretty sure the uniforms used throughout the series' come from Python's prop store.

However, I did find the bullying worrying. Here we have an 'aimed at children' program where the BBC suggest that such behavior is not only funny, but also permissible.

Do we get the moral sting in the tale?

No!

Oh, OK, they all get poisoned, but no one dies, they all recover. In fact they make the bullying seem a good thing as without it Merlin would have met his end.

On another note, did anyone else get a sense of a leer out of the old dragon, when it discovered it might have a possible mate?

I just didn't get the Dragon Lord must call it out of the egg business. It's just as well Merlin stuck his oar in if that was the only way. (seems an odd way for a species to develop though) If he hadn't, then by the time another 400 years had passed who would have been around, with that knowledge, to do the wakey wakey (or even the Okey Cokey)?

Why on earth didn't the old dragon know about the egg? I thought is was up on these kind of things. Seems to me the knowledge, common amongst the humans, would have come to his attention a long time before.

Next week looks interesting I suppose. Maybe we can move the tale along a bit and Merlin can at last reveal that he is the "Kwisats Headache" by calling forth an army of giant underground hamsters to kill the baddies massed against Arthur.

Following which, Arthur and Merlin go on to become the greatest comedy duo of all time reviving the tradition of "Old Time Music Hall" in theatres throughout the land.

I thought this episode was entertaining but little more than that. A definate step back on the previous episodes.

I find myself mostly in agreement with TEiN which is scary to say the least, but...

next weeks episode, if nothing else looks more fun, the large armies look quite impressive from a BBC point of view and if a small little show like Merlin can do it... (are you listening GoT)

Of course I've now got a view of some massive armies marching forward to be annihilated by a sea of ravening hamsters. (I'd probably pay to see that)

(Mouse - the cave I'm pretty sure it is the same one where Merlin found the old dragon lord way back when)

Back