Top magazines?

TheDustyZebra

Certified zebra
Staff member
I'm just wondering, what are considered the best magazines of SF and F these days? I used to subscribe to Analog, Asimov's and Fantasy & Science Fiction, but alas, I let those lapse well over a decade ago. I was pleased to see that they are all still around, when I checked recently.

I'm asking for subscriptions for Christmas this year, to get the magazines rolling in now that I'm once again interested in getting published, and I just wanted to see what everybody considers the top of the field now.

They still are. Interzone is technically a "semi-pro" but is otherwise considered top, too. And there are many smaller and online markets, but you'd have to get info on them from others.

Depends what you mean by "top". Asimov's, F&SF and Analog remain the most prestigious, and probably still produce more award-winning fiction than other magazines. But they're starting to feel a bit old-fashioned these days, and their contents can be very samey. Interzone is excellent, and certianly the best-looking sf magazine. Jupiter is cheap and reliable. Online, Strange Horizons, Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, Beyond Ceaseless Skies, Subterranean and Tor.com all publish good stuff. Postscripts is very good but has now moved to a quarterly/bi-annual anthology format.

I love Interzone and Strange Horizons (although SH is free so you don't need a subscription).

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Science Fiction and Fantasy etc. -- I haven't investigated them yet. Have you had a look at Duotrope? It lets you search by genre, tone, pay scales etc.

I have a story emailed to me each weekday by Daily Science Fiction. They're generally short, about 1000 words. But it's a professional market online magazine and the subscription is free, as is the story archive. www.dailysciencefiction.com

I like Strange Horizons. I used to subscribe to IAsfm (before it was Aismov's) and F&SF, but that was a long time ago.