2.01: The Walking Dead - What Lies ahead

ctg

weaver of the unseen
The big question surrounding The Walking Dead is in the title of the show. what lies ahead?

For Rick Grimes and the rest of his rag-tag band of survivors, there's not a whole lot of hope on the horizon. Atlanta is dead: time to get out of the zombie-infested capital of the south and head towards Fort Benning, Georgia, the serious armament there, and possibly, the safety of many armed men. However, there's a problem. Even after the apocalypse, Atlanta's traffic is terrible, so that means it's slow going, even before the Dale's RV breaks down on the highway.http://www.denofgeek.com/television...eason_2_episode_1_review_what_lies_ahead.html

http://io9.com/5850328/on-the-season-premiere-of-the-walking-dead-the-survivors-screw-up-a-pit-stop

http://io9.com/5850194/watch-the-walking-dead-footage-from-new-york-comic-con

What you're going to see is the hoard in the highway. How exciting... I cannot wait.

Good episode.

I was really pleased, the show seemed to get back on the tracks it flew off of towards the end of last season.

The zombie gutting scene was far and away grosser than anything they've shown up until this point.

I really, really enjoyed watching this episode even though it wasn't as good as the first season premier. However, in overall the whole show is much, much better than anything other that comes from the tube. And that includes Terra Nova.

The Walking Dead is Science Fiction in the terms that it deals with the possibility of the zombie apocalypse, and mostly so on how the survivors would behave if such thing would happen. As I said, in this episode they face a heard - hundreds of zombies walking aimlessly, searching food.

The suspense builds up continuously for up to first ten to fifteen minutes as Dave's RV blows up in the middle of the four-lane highway that is stacked up with the dead people vehicles. You can almost sense that they are going through fear when they see the dead sitting on their seats, still strapped on belts.

As a watcher, I was thinking about the people that were sitting in the bus at Season 1 premier and I was expecting them to start moving in any minute. But as it didn't happen, I relaxed and went with the survivors when they started to go through stuff in the abandoned vehicles.

Then they saw the heard. There was no explanation of what happened and why the survivors had not seen them before, but can I say that they were scary. Really, really scary.

Listen them shifting besides the people. Have your headphones on and lights off and you can imagine you being there.

I don't want to spoil any more, but I recommend everyone to check out the season 2 premier as soon as possible.

I wont get to see this new series until it comes on DVD. But I am finding it interesting read about and Ive enjoyed looking at photos of the AMC Blog :)

I am looking forward to finding out what the Dr said to Rick near the end of the previous series

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than I did the last couple of episodes of the first season. The scene with the herd was very good - I'd hesitate to call it scary, but it was very tense. Some of the conflict in the episode was better, too - the scene with Dale and Andrea was particularly well done.

The gutting scene reminded me of the scene from Jaws: "He didn't eat a car, did he?" :D

For a moment I thought that Daryl actually enjoyed as much cutting up the walker as shooting it in the head. He certainly isn't squeamish. We saw that in the tent scene, where Rick and Shane were gagging at the outside. And it makes me wonder what it takes to make him feel the fear.

In the regards of the fear on the herd-scene is that although we know some or most of them are going to survive, the sounds that the walkers made were especially well made. You can imagine yourself being in their place and feeling chills in your spine.

I did have to wonder why they ran towards the sound of the church bells, when they've established several times that noise attracts the walkers, and Rick had already refused to shoot the two walkers earlier in the episode for fear of bringing the herd back. Surely the little girl was aware of this, too, and wouldn't have gone anywhere near the sound of the bells?

Maybe they thought that she was there, rigging the bells, telling that she was in danger. It was their best shot, having lost the chances in the woods. I mean there was next nothing to track, or then maybe Shane isn't such good tracker as what he says he is. And besides the point, what would you have done in the little girl shoes?

Hell, the walkers would've caught me after about ten yards, lol.

It just seemed contradictory to me that they'd run in there like that, especially after what he'd told the girl about noise attracting the walkers. I could go with the whole desperation thing, with them trying to find her, but then they seemed to hang around the church for ages afterwards, knowing that the walkers might be coming.

But hey, I'm just nitpicking ;)

I just meant them being desperate to find her, so they did things without thinking <<shrugs>>

I just meant them being desperate to find her, so they did things without thinking <<shrugs>>

They are definitely desperate to find her, and while they did tell her about noise attracting walkers, I think they were following the logic of "scared little girl hearing something familiar and going towards it" especially after Daryl mentioned that her tracks went one way and then got lighter.

I don't know why she didn't just stay under the tree in the first place, I mean Rick specifically said: "Wait here for me but if I'm not back by DARK then head that way back towards the group"...

A good series

2.01 was a good way to launch S2 and I hope the rest of the season is as good.

Im finally getting to see this season, now its on channel 5 :D

I thought the zombie herd was creepy, what a scary scene that was. I think Daryl seems to be the hard man in this series, nothing seems to faze him.
I think the tension was good too in the first episode, good acting all around :D And of course ending on that cliff hanger with Carl being shot......

I thought the zombie herd was creepy, what a scary scene that was.

They are especially creepy when they come down the road and there's no talking, no noises, but close up and personal they are even creepier as you hear their laboured breathing, snorts and snuffles.

You just don't want to be half sleep as if a herd would get close and spot you, you would be in so much of trouble. Just think about where would you go? On top of the RV, but then they would surround you and as they seem to last forever without topping food, they would stay there and... I think you can imagine rest.

I think Daryl seems to be the hard man in this series, nothing seems to faze him.

He's one of my favourites and under that hard shell is a golden heart. Trust me. You will see totally different side of him in this season.

I'm just seeing this series now for the first time. My only concern after this episode is the severe loss of characters. They have killed off, or had leave, more than half of the original group, and that alters the dynamics - it makes the 'love triangle' more important and the possibility of Shane leaving with Andrea more likely. However, that kind of loss is probably realistic. I think Lori would have confessed to Rick by now. What would she have to lose? Not sure about Daryl having a golden heart, but he is the most useful man to have around. Rick is a better leader, but Daryl has no qualms about doing anything.

I'm not sure if what the Doctor said to Rick is a red herring. He was going to tell Morgan on the walky talky but then said it didn't matter. Either it is something huge or something of no importance. I hope they don't keep us hanging on indefinitely.

I'm just seeing this series now for the first time. My only concern after this episode is the severe loss of characters. They have killed off, or had leave, more than half of the original group, and that alters the dynamics - it makes the 'love triangle' more important and the possibility of Shane leaving with Andrea more likely. However, that kind of loss is probably realistic. I think Lori would have confessed to Rick by now. What would she have to lose? Not sure about Daryl having a golden heart, but he is the most useful man to have around. Rick is a better leader, but Daryl has no qualms about doing anything.

I'm not sure if what the Doctor said to Rick is a red herring. He was going to tell Morgan on the walky talky but then said it didn't matter. Either it is something huge or something of no importance. I hope they don't keep us hanging on indefinitely.

Well considering that several of the people weren't in the original comics, it's ok. Plus, that opens it up for them to get more people to add to their group. If you're only just starting to watch, hang on because all your questions will be answered as Season 2 gets going.

As to what the Doctor told Rick, again, watch Season 2. It'll all come together for you. It was most definitely not a red herring.

Bumping this. As season one was such a massively bleak ending, it took me a long time to get the guts to go back to the Walking Dead. After putting it off for a long time, I’m just getting into series two.

A good start. Not too hard, but you get a good sense of desperation. A great start.