4.03: The Wicked Day

ctg

weaver of the unseen
The mighty citadel is buzzing in anticipation of the Prince's birthday celebrations, as the fantasy drama continues. But Arthur's old adversary, Odin, promises to ensure this is one party Camelot will never forget – for among the assembling guests lurks a deadly assassin set to strike.

As the dust settles, Camelot is left devastated. Just how far is Merlin prepared to go to put things right; would he really risk everything and reveal his secret?

Apologies, I didn't had time to update the thread. But here it is, I'm going to watch it in a minute from the BBC iplayer, but if you guys have something to say in the meantime, please go ahead.

PS. Odin as Arthur's old rival... what on earth they have been smoking? Odin to me strikes as the mightiest deity from Nordic and Germanian mythology.

Some of us - though not me, actually** - have had their prayers answered in this episode. We'll have to see how the series changes as a result.

PS. Odin has been used as a first name by mere mortals, you know. As has Thor and Freya. Whether this occurred in the period (whatever that is) in which Merlin is set, I couldn't say.

** - Not that I can recall, that is. :(

Oh my ... O.O ... Ten minutes in and Urther is mortally wounded. What a shock. The episode began as any filler one from last seasons, but they are actually continuing delivering the blows after blows.

Let's see what else they have given us...

PS. It was funny to see Tyrion (cannot remember actor's name) in a clown costume and think that he's one of the major characters in the GoT.

I don't think that was Peter Dinklage, ctg, I think it was Phil Holden. Not 100% sure though.

I'm glad Uther's gone, but I still really want Arthur to know about Merlin's magic! Although old Merlin was hilarious.

Wow. King is dead. Long live the King.

Wow. What an episode. Totally lost for words. From the pure storytelling perspective this episode had weak moments but in total whole fourth season has given us such brilliant drama that only BBC can deliver. I could say that they still have magic in their fingers but then again magic is still banned.

What I cannot understand is that why Gaius didn't show the necklace to Arthur and got on with the healing business. After all nobody cannot say that the old man would not had been in better place to kill the cancer and save Merlin from pain. But I guess they had to keep Merlin hidden from the eyes of the Camelot public. And that makes me wonder on what the people of the Camelot would be saying when the rumours reach their ears, "Arthur used magic..."

I really hope that there are episodes coming, where the only option for Arthur is to use the magic. In that way we get Merlin to the place he really deserves. And I don't think that there anyone in the audience who wouldn't want to see the legendary Archmage in the place of an advisor, are there?

Some of us - though not me, actually** - have had their prayers answered in this episode.
It's true, I so can't believe they finally killed off Uther that the numerous plot holes can almost be forgiven. The campaign that "Uther Must Die" finally succeeded!
What I cannot understand is that why Gaius didn't show the necklace to Arthur and got on with the healing business. After all nobody cannot say that the old man would not had been in better place to kill the cancer and save Merlin from pain.
Well, that was a major one but the whole thing was a farcical comedy - all that peeing in the woods for a start.

Why did the circus troop wish to kill Arthur? For what purpose? He is heir to the throne, but at that point he wasn't yet King. They had no plans to kill Uther.

This fatal wound of Uther's - "It has touched his heart sire!" - No it didn't! It was clearly in is abdomen - unless Uther has a very peculiar biology. But then maybe he did!

I'm happy we are moving forward. In fact, I told my son that if he didn't die today I would stop watching. The only problem is the Uncle - mysteriously appears from nowhere and now looks like a permanent feature.

Should someone be calling Social Services?

;):)

This made me LOL rather hard Monsieur Bear! :D

Haven't seen it properly yet, was watching in A&E with subtitles (nothing wrong, I work there occasionally ;)) so I will come back with a proper review once I've sat down and watched it properly but for now all I have to say is...

WOOP! Uther has gone! As much as I love Giles (I'm sorry, I know he has a real name but he will forever be Rupert Giles to me), Uther drove me crazy and it was his time to exit.

xx

my kids had a real laugh at merlin as emrys, and that's good, that the humour's there, and thank goodness uther's gone; how do you justify paying anthony head to sit in a corner, shaking; and poor morgana, can she ever be given anything other than a dark room to sit in. Still, we enjoyed it, all good.

Why did the circus troop wish to kill Arthur? For what purpose? He is heir to the throne, but at that point he wasn't yet King. They had no plans to kill Uther.

Not the circus folk, but Odin. This was clearly foreshadowing event to another agnostic who has nothing to do with Morgana. I assume that you're still upset and don't really want to watch this series, but the thing is and you have to admit, they have changed the course and made the tone much, much darker.

This fatal wound of Uther's - "It has touched his heart sire!" - No it didn't! It was clearly in is abdomen - unless Uther has a very peculiar biology. But then maybe he did!

To me it look perfectly well and the wound was located at upper abdomen, pointing upwards so that the blade could have slipped underneath the ribcage and "touched the heart."

As Gaius don't have modern equipment I'd accept his assessment on the mortal wound to be correct, but I would also liked to see him dissecting the king to see the proper reason.

I will certainly watch the series now. I like the darker tone, but Arthur really has to know about Merlin otherwise he looks weak and stupid. I agree that Morgana can stop hiding now and we can move towards a full magical confrontation. I don't like the introduction of Uncle, and don't see why he is necessary except to give Morgana information from the court, but that's a small thing.

On the Odin attack, was his plan to kill Arthur on the wheel and Merlin prevented it? That wasn't clear to me. Or, was it always to weaken him with a poison apple? Only, the first scenario had far less risk to Odin. He could have thrown the knife and escaped in the utter confusion caused. Of course, in the second scenario, no one, including us, thought that Uther could get up from his chair and actually fight him off.

Can I just say that no Teenagers or children were injured in the watching of this TV programme.

I thought this was pretty good -- I liked it as much as 4:01 but for different reasons. It felt much smaller-scale in some ways (but obviously far-reaching in others) and with some mature acting, which to be honest I hadn't expected.

I've got a couple of questions (as someone who didn't see much of the first three series). Has the land actually been identified as Britain? Arthur was only crowned King of Camelot (and of the "people of Camelot"). And, apart from vague references to "sacred laws" or whatever, has any religious aspect to castle life been shown?

Hi Hare, they refer to it as Albion in the introductions, so indicating Britain, but they haven't been clearer, I don't think; no Scots or Irish in the story, though - although i do wonder about Gawain's accent, so it seems to centre on England, possibly Wales too, as Merlin is traditionally Welsh. Camelot seems to exist in the series as a seperate entity, so the king of Camelot doesn't seem to be king of Albion, or isn't referred to as such; which, historically would be more accurate in dark ages Britain. Not sure about the religious aspects; Arthur carried out a vigil last night, so perhaps indicating some degree of christianity; but the Merlin series seems based on the traditional Mallory/medieval telling, with little real sense of the true dark ages Arthur, I think, where druidic religions would have had more strength; although the druids are there throughout the three series so far.

Not sure about the religious aspects; Arthur carried out a vigil last night, so perhaps indicating some degree of christianity; but the Merlin series seems based on the traditional Mallory/medieval telling, with little real sense of the true dark ages Arthur, I think, where druidic religions would have had more strength; although the druids are there throughout the three series so far.

The Mallory telling was heavily Christian, though -- you couldn't go five paces in a wood without coming across a hermit, for one thing -- and if an Arthur had existed in the Dark Ages, he would probably have been the same (though the Welsh tradition seems to have less of a religious basis, as far as I remember). So the avoidance of Christianity seems a bit strange to me, and I think it would make a good counterpoint to the Celtic magic stuff. I guess the BBC either shied away from it for fear of causing offence, or because they thought it would be of no interest to their young audience, but I think it would have added depth.

Thanks for pointing out the Albion thing -- I do remember that name being used now.

I agree, Hare, I think they're trying to avoid a clear religious basis. What I think I meant about Mallory was that there was so much overlay of Christianity in his telling, in taking the traditional Mallory-esque pseudo-medieval setting, there are some of the conventions of Christianity shown; like the vigil, without overtly showing a religion. But it's Sunday morning, and I might be making absolutely no sense lol

I agree, Hare, I think they're trying to avoid a clear religious basis.
In the TV slot that it fits, the so-called "family viewing" in which all ages watch some light-hearted, non-thought-provoking fun TV, I'd agree that they won't go heavy on religion and ethics. Which was why I was surprised when they did that anti-arranged marriages episode last year.

First off:

What Dave said. The bears in the wood was bordering on a new TV out the window with it scenario.

Touched his heart: I'm not so sure about the abdomen though Dave. - it seemed fairly high up to me, although how the baddie reached up that far is a bit unclear. I did think the rapid change to Uther man of action was a bit hard to take, but then it was worth him having his last scene in 'old over the top mode' just to be rid of him.

Sadly though, I've a feeling it wont be the last of him. Merlin/Hamlet their not a world apart. I can see his ghost haunting the series for years to come. HAving said that it might be he tips the wink to Arthur about how Merlin did his best. After all he has a chain longer than Marley to wear out so he is bound to want to make amends for all that tax collecting and witch burning. What better way than to put the record straight with his son.

When did the guards eat the apples? If they didn't and everyone got drugged, why the need for the apple trick?

Apart from that, there's hope we can move forward, as everyone has said.

We shall see.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Critiques 9
dwndrgn Book Discussion 21