Kid soldiers raised in barracks to fight black hole aliens

brainsoft

Children are born and bread and raised in barracks for the sole purpose of defeating the enemy in a millenia long war against an ancient alien force inside the black hole, from another stage of the universes birth right after the big bang.

Whole planets and systems are devoted to manufacturing the tools of war, including the children cannon fodder. They fly space ship fighters near the black hole perhaps.

It is part of a very long historied sci-fi series starting on earth, and ending across the whole galaxy.

I remember something about an ancient commune in old Italy, that end up in Olympus Mons on Mars as an information storage colony, blind, more like ants or moles. This may be from another series, but I think it is from the same series. "Sisters matter more than daughters"

I thought it was Peter F Hamilton or Greg Bear, but I don't think it was the Confederation series (another series I was seeking).

I read the books around 2002 possibly.

I also remember mention of an occupying alien force that created massive arcologies for the human slaves and assigned them all numbers. At the end of the series these events were in the long distant past. I don't think there were books set in that time period, but probably a short story.

"Sisters matter more than daughters". That popped into my head after the original post, and I think it lead me in the right direction. Currently investigating Stephen Baxter, I think I'm on the right track.

It's been 10 years since I read a novel and some of the author names escape me. I still remember Niven, brin, asimov, farley, hamilton, gibson, bear, heinlein, though!

Yup, found it! It has got to be the Xeelee Sequence

Transcendent, and the books from the Destiny's Children series!

I don't think that resplendant was release yet but I read the first 3 for sure. I don't think I've read most of the other stories in the whole series, just those 3.

What you're describing is definitely Exultant though. The others are good. You should check them out.

Back