Orange-spine Penguin English Library books

Extollager

Anyone else have a fondness for these books, which I think of as being from the 1970s into early 1980s?

I have resolved not to be a Collector of same. On the other hand, yesterday I put all in one place (nearly) all the volumes I have (about 40). I was impressed by how many of them I have read and, indeed, reread.

More later -- must run!

Hi,

I think all of my john wyndham stuff is in these penguin editions and I have a real fondness for them to. Are they that new though? they seem a lot older than that.

Or maybe it's just that mine are all falling apart.:)

Last edited:
These were nice books -- a nice size, usually an agreeable type on pretty decent paper (for a paperback), with helpful notes and interesting cover art. They felt good in the hand. My experience is that they generally don't fall apart even after considerable use.

I think all of the forty or so that I own were common except perhaps for Marcus Clarke's great Australian novel, His Natural Life, which I haven't read yet.

In some cases the more recent Penguin Classics editions may be better than the Penguin English Library versions. For example, in the most recent edition of Jane Eyre, the French dialogue is translated (in notes at the book's end).

These EL Penguins were an agreeable way for me and, I'm sure, many other readers to get acquainted with English classics. Any comments, reminiscences, etc.?

Hi,

I think all of my john wyndham stuff is in these penguin editions and I have a real fondness for them to. Are they that new though? they seem a lot older than that.

Or maybe it's just that mine are all falling apart.:)

Do your books have Penguin English Library prominently displayed on the covers, and do they include introductions and (at the end) editorial notes?

I've noticed that the Penguin Classics -- which has absorbed the old Penguin English Library -- has become rather, um, populist, offering now quite a few books that are "classics" only by a generous interpretation of the word.

Anyone else have a fondness for these books, which I think of as being from the 1970s into early 1980s?QUOTE]

No -- the English Library books were published from the mid-Sixties to the early 1980s, it appears. I looked over my batch (41 titles).

About the oldest one that I own is a late-Sixties New Grub Street (Gissing) that has a back cover blurb stating Penguin's intention to create a series that could "take its place alongside the Penguin Classics."

The latter, at that time, had black spines and was, I believe, entirely made up of famous works in translation. "English" works such as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and The Canterbury Tales that could no longer be read, except by people with scholarly training, in the original were translated and appeared in the Classics series (not in the later English Library), but most of the Classics were in languages such as Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, medieval Icelandic (a fine little saga sub-series), etc.

The English Library was "classics in modern English," I take it -- "modern English" being inclusive enough to include a lightly modernized text of Malory's Morte d'Arthur (2 volumes). But the Library included books by non-English authors. My copy of The New Grub Street lists authors who have appeared "so far," not only including English writers such as Dickens and George Eliot, but Americans such as Melville.

The "prospectus" I've been quoting contains a frank statement: "the best work to have appeared in English since the fifteenth century."

That evaluative element has been phased out with the subsumption of the English Library in the Penguin Classics and the Classics' revisioning as a list reflecting academic trends (or fads) and, perhaps, a notion that mere longevity secures a work "classic" status. For example, I wouldn't enroll Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars in the same list of classics that includes a book published just a few years previously, Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent, though I have enjoyed both books (the former at about age 15; alas; I didn't find it finishable this year). I do like the idea of "popular classics" such as Princess being issued with helpful notes.

At any rate, though, I thought there might be fans of the Penguin English Library who'd enjoy commenting here. Are there any actual completist collectors out there? I mentioned my resolution not to go that way. But if anyone has, well, are there any particularly scarce titles? Etc.

One last note... and then I need to see if any discussion gets going on this. There was a Penguin American Library -- at least one book identified as belong to it, namely Parkman's Oregon Trail (from about 1982), but I don't have the sense that it went very far. So Penguin had an English Library that could include Americans (Melville, Twain....) but also, briefly anyway, an American Library.

"These are not the books your looking for":D

Got my wires crossed, the books I'm thinking of are completely different - they do have orange covers though.

The orange spines are good but nothing has yet superseded the Black Classics for me both for content and production values including colour schema. Sorry but that's how I see it....:)

Having said that I have in fact purchased several of the new orange 'reprints' inlcuding new titles Penguin Australia have been busy publishing, marketed as they are at a very affordable price. I don't know if this production line has extend to overseas or not though?

I've noticed that the Penguin Classics -- which has absorbed the old Penguin English Library -- has become rather, um, populist, offering now quite a few books that are "classics" only by a generous interpretation of the word.

I have a few of the newer British Edition Penguin Popular Classics (I did note that they included 'Popular'), which are cheap to buy, but they are also quite flimsy. I worry how they're going to hold up over any length of time. I remember the PEL editions, or something very similar from my childhood, and they did seem to be more durable.

I have to disagree with you on one thing, though, Extollager.
"English" works such as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and The Canterbury Tales that could no longer be read, except by people with scholarly training
I had to read The Knight's Tale for 'A' Level (final school education level). There were a few words that we needed to look up in the glossary, but it was understandable for the main part and we were in no way scholars, other than we were at school.

I have a few of the newer British Edition Penguin Popular Classics (I did note that they included 'Popular'), which are cheap to buy, but they are also quite flimsy. I worry how they're going to hold up over any length of time. I remember the PEL editions, or something very similar from my childhood, and they did seem to be more durable..
Ah Thanks...Yes that is what they are calling them here as well. I agree, the paper is very thin and the covers defnitely more flimsy than the 'Orignal' Orange classics. Hence my added ethusiasm for the Black Classics.

Here are covers of some of the Penguin English Library books that I own.
51j63ewU5nL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
This one, Mary Barton by Gaskell, was probably the first PEL book that I bought; this would've been in 1976.
images
577920-0-m.jpg
226675817.0.b.jpg
images

This is what I mean by the PEL books having an orange spine:

image1456.jpg

These were attractive books -- though I am saying nothing against other Penguin formats.

The orange spines are good but nothing has yet superseded the Black Classics for me both for content and production values including colour schema. Sorry but that's how I see it....:)

You mean like this

image.aspx

or like this?

AAAACxHyPdoAAAAAACCCEg.jpg

Jane Eyre used to be in the Penguin English Library, complete with an orange spine. Now the "English Library" has been subsumed by the Classics line. Above are a couple of more recent editions, which have black spines. They're both attractive books, no doubt about it.

253954735.0.b.jpg
The PEL edition had a portrait of Charlotte Bronte as the cover.

It used to be, as I said in an earlier message, that the Penguin Classics did not have any titles in modern English. These had handsome cover designs and black spines:

38455.jpg

Last edited:
More like that second picture is what I am talking about. That has been the standard design for a few years now for the Penguin Blacks.

I have around 150 Black Classics in my collection to date....:)

Gollum, the Penguin Classics design that you cite is indeed attractive, perhaps more attractive than the orange-spine English Library design that I have been praising. But it was the latter that I associate with some very enjoyable first steps into reading great novels. (I also associate them with a small independent bookstore, McCarley's in Ashland, Oregon, about which I have fond memories, since that's where I bought a number of these books when I was starting out.) Also, I suppose thatthe introductions of the orange-spine books were more free of Literary Theory orthodoxy than the more recent ones. But the series you cite is truly an outstanding series and I'd relish the chance to look over your set if I ever had that opportunity!

Gollum, the Penguin Classics design that you cite is indeed attractive, perhaps more attractive than the orange-spine English Library design that I have been praising. But it was the latter that I associate with some very enjoyable first steps into reading great novels. (I also associate them with a small independent bookstore, McCarley's in Ashland, Oregon, about which I have fond memories, since that's where I bought a number of these books when I was starting out.) Also, I suppose that the introductions of the orange-spine books were more free of Literary Theory orthodoxy than the more recent ones. But the series you cite is truly an outstanding series and I'd relish the chance to look over your set if I ever had that opportunity!
I like the 'new' classics range because of the production values, cover designs, novels and authors featured and the generally very helpful and informative introductions, recommended reading lists, footnotes etc.

I can fully understand your heartfelt association with the orange-spine English Library books given the influence they had on you as part of your formative reading.

As far as checking out my personal book collection goes you could try and organise a trip to Australia but a far more economical solution may be just around the corner. Within the next 6 months I will be posting some photos of my library including access to a full inventory for those interested. I'm in the process now of sourcing the 50 - 60 books on my 'to buy' list from the 'net' having sourced the vast majority of my collection from the many bookstores we have here.

Cheers for now.

My penguin obsession only extends to those without ISBNs (basically pre 1970ish) I've got hundred of the buggers.

This sort of thing:

I could easily understand how one could become a collector of those books. I just have to say (or imagine my dear wife saying): "No! You can't!":)