nanowrimo 2011

No Nano for me again. November has to be the absolutely worst month to choose for me. There is always something that will inevitably get in the way of consistent work.

How about Janowrimo or Febowrimo? I might have a chance then. Saying that, I do usually write 30-50K in a single month. I just isn't always a single story.

What are these camps about?

They were new this year - it is basically NaNo run in July and August. Has the advantage that you only need to write 1612 words a day because the months are longer and a number of people used it to write a full book over the two months.

Well, I have seen this thread before, but I have taken the plunge and signed up.
Not sure how well I'll be able to adhere to the target of 50'000 words in 1 month, but I'm gonna give it a go. :)

What is VSNAP ?(beyond what it stands for).

It's the acronym (acquired here, somehow or other) for the project that has been taking all my time for 2 1/2 months, a wedding present for my nephew. It's a queen-sized crocheted bedspread, in the Navajo Afghan pattern. I have pictures, but I don't want it out there on the net before he even gets it!

I consider it related to NaNo because it's another demonstration for me that doing a little bit of something every day yields magnificent results. Five to six rows a day, and here I have a bedspread; 1667 words a day, and there I have a book. I thrive on that sort of deadline, and rather wilt without it. :D

I passed last year when my mom told me about it in the middle of November, she sent me to a site that just had me plug in word counts for all my unpublished works no mater how long or short I had been working on them. It sounded like cheating to me.
This doesn't, I frighteningly tempted.

It's the acronym (acquired here, somehow or other) for the project that has been taking all my time for 2 1/2 months, a wedding present for my nephew. It's a queen-sized crocheted bedspread, in the Navajo Afghan pattern. I have pictures, but I don't want it out there on the net before he even gets it!

It sounds gorgeous - my husband's grandmother made us a quilt for our wedding but died before completing it. His Mom was going to finish it ... nine years ago ... I am tempted to offer to do it.

I consider it related to NaNo because it's another demonstration for me that doing a little bit of something every day yields magnificent results. Five to six rows a day, and here I have a bedspread; 1667 words a day, and there I have a book. I thrive on that sort of deadline, and rather wilt without it. :D
I am the same way it forces me to start the story which is the bit I hate doing. It's like going to a party where no one knows anyone else knows anybody. It pushes me past the awkward bit.

I still have the dilemma about what to write lol Thanks to NaNo I will have four novels I know now get finished.

Just heard of NaNoWriMo from FB author groups, glad to see some activity and interest from us here.

I haven't read up on it in detail, would be tempted, but frankly I'm barely getting any time to do anything at all these days with work and life being full of the unexpected. While I am sure I could probably cunningly find some time, the real problem is one of energy, as life and work are draining me of that, and it's very hard to be creative when totally exhausted. I can't even stay awake for passive activities like playing games or reading books like recently Kindle-purchased Goblin's Moon :)

But I'll take a read at how it works, and who knows, maybe force myself into it and just see what I write. It can be useful to suspend the critical editor functions and just write, write, write, taking that brainstorming approach of not trying to make it good or great and just get it out there.

Not sure if that's what they encourage or promote but will find out when I read more :) I look forward to seeing which Chronites are participating either way!

So - who is up for NaNo this year then? I'm way behind with other things, but am still planning on going for my yearly dose of madness. All I need is some characters and a plot now... :D

I (stupidly) registered. How much I get done is another question. I am considering cheating a little and making it NaNoConMo - National Novel Continuing Month - and trying to make some headway on one of my stalled projects...

Culhwch: That's the most sensible use of the concept I've heard.

As long as you don't submit it and in so doing send it out into the ether - as it were.

TDZ: VSNAP: It also sounds like an excellent new writing style. Time traveling Indian from the old west meets the 'war on terror' in the post apocalyptic chaos.

I thought about it but I'm on hols for the first week :D, so decided not to. Going to spend the month trying to get the first book fixed up instead;); the word count probably won't be dissimilar.

Not me, I have way too much to do on a normal day. I'm not about to knock out my doll-making, crocheting, cross-stitching, cooking, or just spending time with my family in order to get 50,000 words on a brand new project. I'll continue my nightly writing in my going on seven year masterpiece.

Well, at least I came up with something that will keep me in words while I think of something better. I've been meaning to write up some family history and details about things around the house that my parents and grandparents made, that my kids will someday inherit and need to know the stories about, so I decided to do that along with some smaller projects to keep my word count going. If I think of something bigger, I can start on that, and if I don't, at least I'll have accomplished a lot of smaller things!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fiberglass Cyborg Writing Discussion 8
Harpo Writing Discussion 12
A Writing Discussion 22
Phyrebrat Writing Discussion 30
SPoots Writing Discussion 138