Discussion -- October 2011 Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Discussion October SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE

Well -That's my effort posted.

I had three ideas and started writing out all three. I liked my third one after the first half dozen edits but the first one took over and insisted on being published - so there you have it!

(The third one anyway I noticed was similar in concept to another entry where nightmares become reality)

Thanks for the pocket review, Perp! Good to know the story came across so clearly, after having to cut so much out of it. I'm never sure that what I intend to be conveyed is always conveyed...

Indeed. I missed Perp's review, and it looks like he got out of it what I intended for it, even with it cut in half from its original length.

Even though I felt it was weaker than I could have had this month, I am rather proud of it.

Whoo! Good story, pyan! Can't help thinking the guy needs to get another job though...

(It reminds me of a tale of a working man who always wore boots which were a size too small, because the only pleasure he got in his life was taking off the boots at the end of the day.)

It's been a while since I last entered the monthly challenges, and I nearly didn't enter this time, but I had the idea for a story and had to write it. It's a change from my usual style, but the first person style fit in with the main character more.

There are some great stories already, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest.:)

Parson? Ew. :D

Mouse:

I won't tell you where I got the idea. :D

Thank you Perpetual Man. Excellent comments, again.

Parson's story made me laugh out loud (whilst cringing slightly at the thought), but AnyaK, that news item, really - ewwww! :) I'm not travelling on Dutch railways any time soon.

I'm not going to make any kind of comment on Parson's entry-or on Anya's news article.

But it seems like we've gotten back into the roll of things, over twenty entries on the first week of the month. I should expect things to go a bit slower now, after the regulars have posted their entries for the most part. I already like a couple of the entries, but do I have my usual set-in-stone first week choice? It seems not.

And Alice is again late for tea....

LOL Parson, I found this a few minutes ago and for some reason thought of you.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15220297

Okay, I am trying to get the picture of a commuter train where everyone is, well you know, into a bag. It's a hard image to shake. It reminded of a few years ago when a company made a contraption called a "Lady P" where women wouldn't have "to sit down." In the interests, I understood, of gender equality. It didn't sell very well.;)

I'm not travelling on Dutch railways any time soon.
It adds a whole new meaning to the phrase, Going Dutch.

(Or perhaps two new meanings.... :eek:)

Gah. I was almost-completely sure who I was going to vote for this month (I know, I know -- hence 'almost completely' but I didn't see how anyone was going to beat Cul's story) and then HareBrain muddies the waters. Now I'll have to think :(

I am so torn Parson made me laugh again, but grossed me out lol ... trying to get over my dislike of Alice (she got me beheaded in a play when I was about nine never liked that cow!!) aside from that it is a cool idea ... the new ones yesterday all have me interested ... hmm need to reread and give some impressions later.

If that's how you feel about Alice because of a play, Anya, then I suggest you never check out American McGee's Alice or its sequel Alice: Madness Returns. Both are great games, though.

And as I've said before, I always felt that Alice in Wonderland never actually was a children's story, what with all the weird creatures and darker undertones it has (such as the Duchess always trying to turn the Mock Turtle into soup).

Hi Karn, it absolutely wasn't a kids story, as far as I know Carroll didn't mean it to be seen as one; most of his stuff is quite dark, Alice is probably the worst. Liked your take on it. springs

Status
Not open for further replies.