Discussion -- 300 Word Challenge #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Discussion thread -- Three Hundred Word Writing Challenge #3

Now, Nixie, when was the last time you've seen ME post anything in Critiques? ;)

And I've been a part of each challenge, just as you've been. :)

Thanks Pep, you made me feel better about my entry yet again.
I think I might have to avoid the challenges for awhile, as a very scary thought has entered my head and am tempted to post in critiques, I blame the challenges. Me posting in critiques would cost Chrispy a fortune in red ink.

When have I ever economised on red ink? Or complained about the quantity? There might be some mild grammatical and punctuational work required, but go ahead, take the plunge.

Oh, yes, I'm still working on this quarter's 300 word piece; I've had the basic story for weeks, but it's resisting. (I've changed POVs twice)

I suppose I could put it in not quite right – or redraft it in verse…

Highlander - what started off as a seemingly excellent science fiction piece, ended in pure fantasy, plus one actually had a very strong emotional core. The image at the end of the newborn sun being nestled in the arms of an angel was absolutely magnificent one and as a whole I felt that the entire story was well constructed, a great idea and very entertaining. To be honest I worked out what was going to happen before we reach the end of the story, but then when everything has to tie in with the picture, it's quite easy to realise that angel has to appear at some time. I did think for a minute that the debris was going to be angels, but the actual conclusion was much stronger.

Wow! What a wonderful review! Thank you very much for that! I had actually written the last sentence first with only a basic germ of an idea how to get there. It still gives me a real emotional shiver (and even a tear in the eye) and was glad this was realised by you. You have really made my day!

As you say, the angel had to appear sometime in the tale so the ending was fairly easy to realise but I am glad that I did surprise you a little bit at the end!

Sorry to hear you've been poorly, Okuporr.** I hope you're feeling better soon.

I've had one or two lines comes out of hte cobwebs, but so far nothing that's gelled into a story. Plenty of time yet, though!

** add your own accents there

Thank you. I've got four weeks of tablets (Big ones) to take. Fun.

Lacking the proper concentration i needed to write my poem, i went with a different story in prose. I've only just wrote it (was listening to All along the Watchtower by Jimmy Hendrix and felt the need to write.) out now.

I feel (i know) i can do better, but not this month i dont think. Anyway, i'll post it in a bit. I swear if i keep doing these im soon going to get a reputation for writing bleak and sometimes depressing things.:p Hope you guys like it.
(Archs is short for Archangels)

Also i find out doing my first 300 word challenge, as i did with the 75, that 300 hundred words is annoyingly not enough.

Last edited:

You listened to Hendrix' version? :eek:

Old Bobby D is where it's at for that song, my good man.

All things aside, I'll have to review the ones already posted, I feel it's harder with three votes than one.

Very interesting. Following last nights little chat about word counting, I counted the words by hand again and got 299 (allowing for splitting Free will), MS Word still gives it as 304 (308 with the title), then I tried a couple of online word counters, None of them matched up ranging from 282 -312. Who would have thought there could have been such a difference.

Think I'll count again by hand and trust my head.

I just did it manually and in Word and found that Word counts the two words either side of an ellipsis as one word, but also counts an em-dash as a word. If only I'd known this before, I'm sure the extra couple of words I would have got in would have transformed my plodding stories into masterpieces.

Yeah, I found that when I was counting. And also the little starry break bits that I used in mine are also considered words.

That was something there, alchemist.

Rarely are spirits of the dead actually benevolent, at least relatively, and that had just a sadness to it that really shot through me. A good, solid emotional piece that would strike anyone not made of stone straight through the core.

ALCHEMIST!!! you made me cry... thank you

Jeez, thanks people. Sorry for making you cry, hope!

no no its a complement. My mom taught me some odd complements in her day, this is the last one I cant seem to get over.

In that case, I'm glad I made you cry.

Ooh, look at me and my heartlessness!

wait what? Karn I am positive I misunderstood you there...

Last edited:

someone I am randomly misreading because the e's and a's all look alike today.

we have a tea room? is there tea in it? is it hot? can i have some? can i have the tea without the room? or is it room for cream? I only like cream in some tea, it cuddled in the green and i have never been able to drink green since... we are suposed to be talking about the entries, you grab the tea and i'll get some chairs and we can talk about how manly it is to cry over books.

Hehehe. The Tea Room is in the Lounge.

That's all I'm going to say about it here. But how manly it is to cry over books, I don't know. I usually don't. I haven't actually cried in years.

Is this the price for having learned how not to cry?

Status
Not open for further replies.