Herman Hesse

Thomas Mann's Confessions Of Felix Krull is a great book.
Yes that's in fact the 4th of his great novels. Thanks for bringing that to notice here.

@antiloquax: No problem. You'll find anything relating to German or Latin American Literature in particular can cause me to type pages of copious notes...approaching JD-esque proportions...;) Stephen is right. Confessions Of Felix Krull is definitely worth reading.

Read one book by him Demian, very strange read , but liked it. :)

I've read "Siddhartha". It is a really beautiful story of one man's spiritual journey. I love the river symbolism throughout, and what is means to Siddhartha at different times in his life.

Siddhartha, in my great Journey to the East phase; Steppenwolf; but my favorite is The Glass Bead Game- absolutely loved it, but I think it's one like Stephenson's Anathem- it helps if you have some of the background of what it's actually talking about and who is who.

Read The Glass Bead Game in the 1990's, and absolutely loved it - even bought copies for friends and family. :)

Thought recently about reading it again, but concerned that the literary format and lack of pace might damage not simply my interest, but also my fond memories for it.

HH always seemed to be popular with the travellers and freaks I met in India and Nepal in the late 80s, early 90s, to the extent where he almost became a bit of a hippy cliche.
I have a copy of GBG but I was never able to get into it. May give it another go.

I read Demian some years ago and was underwhelmed. Haven't tackled the others.

HH always seemed to be popular with the travellers and freaks I met in India and Nepal in the late 80s, early 90s, to the extent where he almost became a bit of a hippy cliche.
I have a copy of GBG but I was never able to get into it. May give it another go.

Yeah, was doing that a little earlier, and Siddhartha was almost required reading.

I have read Siddhartha, Steppenwolf and Narcissus and Goldmund. This was very long ago and N&G was my favorite at the time butI cannot remember enough to explain why.

However this is the interesting point now:

The Project Gutenberg EBook of Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse
Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse

It has been available since 2008.

psik